I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Double foot guides
Posted by: Thomas C Kuzia (32.216.23.---)
Date: June 18, 2016 11:27AM

I've done a lot of searching but can't find any info on the correct "orientation" of bigger double foot guides.
Some double foot guides have a single "foot" and a double" foot.Double foot meaning laying 2 pieces of flat metal along side each other and single foot meaning a single piece of flat metal.

Does the double foot go toward or away from the tip top?

I hope I explained this so you can understand what I'm talking about?

Thanks,,,
Tom

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Double foot guides
Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 18, 2016 12:27PM

Traditionally the double brace is toward the reel. However, there has been a recent trend of putting the stripper guide in a reverse orientation, single brace towrd the reel, with the rest of the guides in the traditional orientation.
Norm

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.76.---)
Date: June 18, 2016 12:53PM

X2 norm.

Date: June 18, 2016 05:57PM

Thank you!
I should have asked here first but it's an embarrassing question to have to ask!
Thanks again,,,
Tom

Date: June 18, 2016 06:41PM

No problem, that's what this forum is all about.
Norm

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 18, 2016 06:55PM

The double brace is always to the reel --- That idea of turning the guide around is a FUJI thing with there UV guides
The double brace is supposed to be good to eliminate line tangles on the cast
Do it how ever you want

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 18, 2016 07:52PM

I have built Fujis both ways,and I both ways work well. Even with conventional two foot guides, I've never seen the line going wild enough on the cast to engage the double feet. All the line engages is the ring.

However, the angle of the ring is different on the Fuji RV guide depending on which way it is oriented, and as Bill says, the single leg is supposed to face toward the reel.

If you are making casting rods, at some time try the Fuji setup. I love it, make all my casting rods that way now. The supposed "big deal" with the RV guide is the height, and I believe the RV equipped casting rods I've made have performed better than my others.others.

With big double foot guides on spinning rods, I would stick with the double leg facing the reel. Just seems logical, and with spin there is a lot more line "action" on the cast.

Date: June 18, 2016 07:56PM

If I remember this correctly the reverse orientation of the stripper guide was started by surf fishermen. Their reasoning was it reduced line chatter caused by the line hitting the double guide brace. Not sure this was the major reason or not, but this reverse orientation caught on with a number of surf fishermen and has stuck. At the time the brand of guide did not matter much, but when the low rider surf rod guides appeared the use of reverse strippet orientation became more common. Bcause of this Fuji was the first company to specifically design RV stripper guides that can be used in the reverse orientation to take advantage of the market. Fuji did not start this trend, they took advantage of it. I have no idea if the reverse stripper orientation has any functional benefits, but obviously some people do. I hope my recollection of reverse stripper orientation history is fairly accurate. If not I am sure others with better memories will chime in.
Norm

Date: June 18, 2016 08:29PM

No
The double ring brace is to the reel Which is the double foot The single foot went to the TIP This was to stop ( marketing ) any line tangles on the ring There were plenty of vidioes on this
Then Fuji rods were being made with the BUTT guide turned around ?? ONLY the butt guide
Why bother with all this marketing if IT MAKES NO DIFFERENCE
I would think you can put the guides ANY WAY YOU WANT - since it does not mater and they fish the same ????

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: June 19, 2016 03:07AM

Bill, I'm sure I will not be using the correct terms. Hopefully the following will make some sense.

Manufacturers have different names for the same thing. It regards how the ring is attached to the frame. The ring may be pressed into the metal groove. Epoxied into it. Or a combination of both.
For surf rods, on the cast, when the shockleader knot strikes the ring, we would want the ring to be supported by the grooved metal ring part of the frame. In other words, the impact of the knot should drive the ring into the grove, rather than driving the ring out of the grove.

Don Becker

Date: June 19, 2016 09:38AM

Don - You are correct. The way the rings were 'swaged' into the frame of the guide was another reason why surf fisherman used the reverse orientation for their strippers. Maybe one of the reasons for double 'swagged' guides.
Norm

Date: June 19, 2016 09:54AM

Now I'm glad I asked cuz I'm getting an education here!
Tom

Posted by: Jim Ising (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: June 20, 2016 10:21AM

I hate to disagree with Bill but Fuji doesn't do things for "marketing". I am marketing and I can assure you they do things for function only.

Date: June 20, 2016 10:30AM

But turning a guide around that was made to stop line tangle does not make sense to me So I figured maybe it makes no difference ??? I would think that the distance from the spool to the but could matter and like the ring size of the RV guides also matters

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster