I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral wrap
Posted by: Nicholas mason (---.singnet.com.sg)
Date: June 18, 2016 04:36AM

Hi guys. Have been eyeing to do a custom 6 foot blank for heavy bait casting applications (black bass) fishing. Was thinking fit doing a spiral wrap but was told by many that it will affect line speed and reduce casting distance or even cause more back lash.
Please advise

Regards,

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral wrap
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 18, 2016 07:44AM

False on all 3 accounts.

Posted by: Miles Miller (---.dyn.everestkc.net)
Date: June 18, 2016 08:46AM

Just use the search function on this site and a ton of good info on it. You really won't even need to ask any questions, the topic has been one of the top discussions on this board.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: June 18, 2016 09:57AM

Nicholas,

I agree totally with Tom's comment posted above. I personally think spiral wraps cast just as far, if not further than conventional wraps. I have found that most guys "just can't get their head around them", if you know what I mean. 90% of my builds are bass rods and I have had several guys for whom I wrapped spirals rods asked me to re-wrap them conventional. When I asked them why, their comment was: "oh, I just like to see the line" or "just can't get my head around them". Since your build is for personal use, I would not hesitate going with a spiral warp. I think you will be pleased.

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 18, 2016 02:43PM

Donald,
I have to echo your comment.
Nearly 50% of the casting rods that I have wrapped with a spiral wrap have come back with a request to wrap them conventional.

After they have been wrapped conventional, those same folks are very happy with the build.

When I asked why they wanted them rewrapped conventional, I received a myriad of reasons.

But, the bottom line is simply this:
Some folks do NOT want their rods wrapped in a spiral and will simply not use a rod that is wrapped in a spiral fashion. It doesn't matter the reason, if they don't want it that way, they don't want it that way.

As a result of this % return, I will not wrap a casting rod with a spiral wrap unless the spiral wrap is specifically requested.

p.s.
For the folks who use the rods for trolling or for bottom fish right over the side of the boat, there have been 0 returns on the spiral wrapped rods. It is only for the folks who use the rods for a lot of casting. Perhaps convention, perhaps some other reason is the reason for the rewrap request.

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/18/2016 02:45PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 18, 2016 07:27PM

If they are using and casting a lot =-- maybe they don't cast as fare as Said ????

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 18, 2016 08:06PM

The only way to convince yourself one way or the other is to try it. Do a rough wrap (no epoxy) and go out and test cast. If you don't like it rewrap it conventional.
Norm

Date: June 18, 2016 08:33PM

The ONE BASIC think that it does do Is to keep the TIP from twisting Which I would think is a main cause of tip breakage

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Nicholas mason (14.100.136.---)
Date: June 19, 2016 09:01AM

Thanks guys you've been much help.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (71.254.178.---)
Date: June 23, 2016 01:13AM

I recently built my first conventional saltwater rod as a spiral. I had a 3.5 or 4 oz lure with a jigmaster reel and that thing flew. If I wasn't on a crowded cattle boat I may have been able to go farther. Backlash was about at my normal rate with a baitcaster and due to my inexperience with the reels. I was recently just a spinner guy. But I only had a few nests over about 30 or so casts. I'm hooked on spiral. Plus it looks cool too. I got a few compliments from the deck hands, one who also builds rods. Fortunately he had a stick of tip top glue because I knocked the rod over. I caught the but end with my foot, which ensured all the force went to the tip top. It broke the bond, but with his glue and a smoker's lighter I fished the rod non stop that day. Off the bottom drop and casting.

...sorry for rambling.

Posted by: Mike Rodman (---.glt-wy.client.bresnan.net)
Date: June 24, 2016 05:52PM

A simple matter of curiosity here... Do you not ask the buyer how they would like their rod wrapped prior to finishing and delivery? 50% seems like a high number to be returned for rewrapping conventional.

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.san.res.rr.com)
Date: June 26, 2016 11:54AM

I've been catching 100# class yft on my spiral wrapped tuna rods for over 20 yrs and never had a problem due to the guide wraps, plus it eliminates twisting so i don't use or need gimbals....

Date: June 26, 2016 12:56PM

I have one guy that buys casting rods and has me redo in spiral wrap I must have built about 30 so fare he loves them I guess the people he sells them do also

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster