I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Spin rod from fly blank - Where does the power come from?
Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: June 16, 2016 12:06PM

A couple clarifications. I tested the Loomis before I broke it. I'm not a magician. The 6 wt fly blank tested ERN = 7.

Most fly blanks I've tested test to the high end of their line weight designation. I expect that is by design so that people don't feel they have an under-powered rod.

The Loomis has been repaired per the procedure in the Library article, and it seems to be the same as before it was broken.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 16, 2016 12:24PM

Remember that line weight numbers are selected arbitrarily to align with the line and distance the manufacturer intends. If you're going to hold a lot of line in the air and attempt to make long casts with a standard 6-weight line, you'd most likely require a rod with a ERN power of 7 or greater.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 16, 2016 02:03PM

It's funny. When people are catching fish like crazy the type of rod they are using seldom enters their mind as long as it doesn't break. When people aren't catching fish or can't go fishing they obsess about barely or in - tangible details about their rods.

Date: June 16, 2016 05:03PM

I think these discussions are fascinating and educational. I'm sure there are a number of builders who've seen these posts who are now more expert on the subject than they were before.

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 16, 2016 06:08PM

This post does bring one thing to light that I consider very important, that being what to do when any normal stock offering won't accomplish the task at hand to the best ability.

As custom builders it would be nice to say, with confidence, that we have the knowledge to pick a blank for any purpose. Problem is we aren't always given enough info. Factor in that some blanks are only offered in certain areas. For example, I will never see a steelhead or salmon blank in a Miami store. Those that build enough to afford blanks simply to find out if they are suitable have an advantage. The rest of us can only hope for their advice on "trade secrets".

A big thank you to those that have shared them as I do have hot shot and musky blanks now. I look forward to getting a back bounce blank as well. All of these are blanks I never would have considered for my waters. Chalk it up to ignorance and marketing. I think aquiring this knowledge and experience, matching blanks to task at hand, might be the most important skill of all.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Date: June 16, 2016 06:51PM

Russ: I find a 9' "steelhead blank" ideal for use as a light surf-casting spinning rod along the coast of central Florida. Seems to me much of the time "species specific" blanks, "technique-specific" blanks, and "lure-specific" blanks are defined by marketers, not fishermen.

Date: June 16, 2016 07:15PM

If CCS is used, the definitions are in the hands of the builders/fishermen. The 9 1/2 North Fork steelhead spinning blank I mentioned would be unsuitable for even light surf-casting, in my opinion.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: June 17, 2016 09:05AM

Comments deleted

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:14PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: June 17, 2016 09:09AM

Adam,
If you are looking for a shorter version of your hybrid rod I went through some calculations and came up with some possibilities.
I apologize for not searching all vendors for the blanks but this is what I would be looking for

8' long ; IM7 material ; tip diameter .058 (4) ; butt diameter .340 ; blank weight 1.45 ounces

7' long ; IM7 material ; tip diameter .058 (4) ; butt diameter .295 ; blank weight 1.078 ounces

This should provide a shorter approximation to your long rod.

Gene

Date: June 17, 2016 09:57AM

A rating of ERN10-11 would not preclude the rod from casting a 9-weight line. Remember that ERN is rod power, not line number. Line weight changes as you move more or less of it beyond the tip.

Date: June 17, 2016 01:13PM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:14PM by John E Powell.

Date: June 17, 2016 03:12PM

I understand. My point is that many people assume the ERN number is a line number, even a dictated line number. It is not.

If you want to correlate to a fly line you can do it with ERN = ELN (effective line number) but this is only with 30 feet of line past the tip. It will not be accurate at all ranges, i.e, holding more or less fly line beyond the rod tip. In essence, it is a starting point from which to work from a specified distance with a specified line.

You can formulate your own factor for matching rod power to line or lure weights if you wish. For instance, you might be in a situation where you hold a lot of line beyond the tip and make very long casts, in which case you might find that ERN = ELN-1, or something similar. Or perhaps you use your rods on small streams and fish in very close with only 10 to 15 feet of line beyond the tip. In that case you might find that ERN = ELN+1 (or even +2) fills the bill.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: June 17, 2016 04:59PM

Or
Say it is a 5 wt rated rod Borrow a 6 wt line and or a 4 wt line and try them on the rod This will show you according to how and where you will need to fish what line seems to fit the situation and how it feels with each line on the rod Just cause it is labeled as a 5 wt does not mean it casts well with a 5 wt line
Like Tom has said Depending on how you fish the rod and how long of line you want out PAST the tip More line - More Weight

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 20, 2016 09:16AM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:15PM by John E Powell.

Date: June 20, 2016 10:26AM

Well in short would you not say that power is generally from a strong or stiff butt section of any blank
I find that rods that bend all or most of the way to the handle do not have the power to cast line or lure well Yet do have a softer tip to load

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 21, 2016 09:22AM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:13PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: June 21, 2016 06:50PM

All rods bend through their entire length.
Some areas deflect further for a given load based on the blank taper.
Power for casting and fishing comes from the caster's hand into the butt then through the blank taper to the tip top.
The tip top will not deflect without opposition from the caster's hand through the entire blank.
The taper has a direct effect on the rod frequency which dictates the speed of response of the tip.

Gene

Date: June 21, 2016 07:05PM

I find that when they bend Easily like a slow action ( I call them MUSH ) they have no power IMHO That is why many look for a fast action More power in the butt Or stiffer butt It has to come from some where Plus I love the fast casting action Just common sense

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 22, 2016 09:16AM

The word "power" applied to a fly rod is misleading. The rod provides a very small amount of power. Try a "bow-and-arrow" cast with a fly rod and a fly line and bend the rod as far as you dare. The dinky cast reveals the maximum amount of power the rod provides. In fact the rod transmits energy developed by the swing of the rod and the haul of the line. When a "soft" rod bends it reduces the effective length of the rod, a type 3 lever. This reduces the mechanical advantage, resulting in a lower line speed at release - less "power" - but the timing of the cast and release become less critical (easier).

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster