I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
MHX verses Bushido
Posted by: Chuck Blocker (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2016 09:12PM

I have a customer who asked me the difference between the MHX verses a Bushido blank in a 7' worm Rod. I have built over a hundred MHX's but no Bushido's so I am turning to the experts for advice. What are your thoughts?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MHX verses Bushido
Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: June 14, 2016 09:19AM

I cannot speak about MHX but I can tell you that the Bushido blanks are one of the toughest around.

We use the highest quality Japenese pre-preg CF resulting in a great feeling and super responsive blank.

I hear daily that the Bushido's are a "hidden gem". In actuality they are utilized by many large rod manufacturers who rely on the highest quality.

If you would like to talk about any specific models please feel free to contact me.

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 14, 2016 09:54AM

Chuck,
I like Don cannot speak about the Bushido as I have never used one. But I do know the differences in the materials and design and if you are familiar with say St. Croix products it would be like a SCII vs SCIV with the SCIV being the MHX.

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Nuno Paulino (---.dsl.telepac.pt)
Date: June 14, 2016 10:38AM

Chuck,
If you build over hundred MHX you are not a novice so you must know how to see the diference between blanks. Buy a Bushido and compare it to the other blanks that you know and take your own conclusions.
Its the best and more honest way to advice in a proper way your client.

Abraço
Nuno

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: June 14, 2016 10:50AM

I'm sure there are some differences in manufacturing, but I can't really speak to that and I can't really speak to the worm rod thing as I'm a saltwater guy but, . . . I've built on a few MHX blanks, and have built several different Bushido blanks. For my applications in saltwater, I like the actions of the Bushido's better. Not that the MHX didn't perform, I just liked the Bushido's better. I usually build on the 6'8-7'2 blanks and build mostly for puppy drum and speckled trout fisherman. For my charters, the CB72 8-15 is my go to blank, and it casts an 1/8oz - 1/2 oz lead head with a grub like a rocket. It also has what I would call a soft bend for a faster action blank. Can't really describe it, but you can definitely feel it and see it when fighting a fish. I would imagine the techniques used for worm fishing bass are similar to grub fishing trout as far as how the bait is worked. For me, the Bushido's are tough to beat for the style of fishing I do.

Posted by: Robert Tanner (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: June 14, 2016 04:21PM

I would build one each and let your customer pick the one. GO MHX.................

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.3.---)
Date: June 14, 2016 09:14PM

Nuno is right. Make your own conclusions.

I've not built MHX, but I've built Bushido, and they are great blanks, especially considering their very reasonable price. Very handsome matte black finish, too.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.106.---)
Date: June 15, 2016 07:28AM

Both great blanks. I build the majority of my rods on bushido blanks. They manufacture the straightest and most durable blanks. Good luck.

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: June 15, 2016 09:41AM

Chuck,

Nuno is correct, the only way that you can accurately get a feel for which will work best for you is to put each in hand and decide from there. I have often asked about blanks and have come to the conclusion that it is easier to have each and go from there. I have found that I can generally get rid of the blank that is left over down the road. I know that you will think that it is not the most economical way to do it, however you will vastly improve your knowledge base of what is available to provide your customers the best product you can.

I am guessing that cost is a consideration with the two blanks that you have mentioned but if it were me I'd go with Northfork, St. Croix or Batson. Yes, I have built on both brands mentioned, I just prefer the later brands.

Tom

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 15, 2016 10:11AM

You know, I looked at the Bushido line up and did not see a 7' worm rod offered. The only 7' rods I saw were light salt water. Makes it hard to compare the brands when you can not get comparable 7' blanks. In all fairness, you would need to compare blanks of the same lengths and similar specs. MHX has a much larger selection of blanks; they are also matte black, straight and durable at a reasonable price. I liked Todd's assessment, and verified why I think MHX blanks are a great buy.
Norm

Posted by: Chuck Blocker (199.249.234.---)
Date: June 15, 2016 10:36AM

Thanks Norman, that was my point. I have had awesome results with the MHX, just had a customer me to compare them. Thanks for all the input and go MHX!

Posted by: Dean Fowler (---.se.biz.rr.com)
Date: June 15, 2016 03:31PM

I have built and use but blanks personally. I also have customers that I have built rods on both with blanks of the same specs. I and my customers both feel the Bushido blanks are by far the better blank lighter and more sensitive.

Posted by: Max Mefford (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: June 15, 2016 04:31PM

Both of my custom rods are Bushido blanks and i love them. The perfect combination of strength and sensitivity all in a lightweight blank. I use mine for anything from redfish to snook and it handles them amazing. combine that Bushido blank with American Tackle's MicroWave Guide System and it is a beast of a setup. Not to mention American Tackle Company has unmatched customer service, i will always recommend their products to anyone wanting great quality in their rod builds.

Posted by: Jeremy Reed (199.9.60.---)
Date: June 15, 2016 04:54PM

The majority of my builds of late are Bushido blanks with a few RodGeek blanks every now and then. I cannot comment on an MHX worm rod, as I haven't built one on an MHX blank in years. I haven't received any negative feedback on any Bushido blank. The durability is great as are the actions. I wish I could comment about what goes into each blank, but I cannot, because I honestly have no clue what any of it means. From my understanding, Bushido uses great carbon fiber and resin. I'm building rods for anglers on kentucky and barkley lakes, so I'm looking for durability as well as sensitivity for the blanks I use and the Bushido fits the bill.

While you're selling the customer a worm rod, recommend the bushido sj72/4-8 to him for a ned rig. This is a hot little technique around here, and the SJ blank is great for finesse. I use it for both panfish and ned rig builds. I recently got a comment back from a customer that used it for a ned rig and he caught a 5lb+ fish on it. The blank will surprise you.

For the price of them, and it sounds like you build quite a few rods, just order both. Build both out. This will give you the best feedback.

Posted by: Michael Danek (192.183.3.---)
Date: June 15, 2016 05:02PM

So the answer is that we rodbuilders have many suppliers with superior customer service providing a multitude of different high quality/high performance blanks, and all we have to do is to make up our minds about which to build. And, most likely, the product will be great no matter which choice within the same types of blanks.

Posted by: Wes Motsinger (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 15, 2016 05:06PM

The bushido's blanks IMO are the straightest blanks on the market. I've built on MHX for awhile. After I went through some breakage issues I went away from them. The last few MHX blanks I built on where very crooked. Couldn't find a straight axis. I'm now at the point if a customer requests a MHX I will try to get them to go with Bushido. If they insist on MHX I will deny to build for a them. Will not have my name and reputation riding on them.

Posted by: Grant Gisondo (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: June 15, 2016 06:27PM

I have built rods on both blanks. Yes I mainly build saltwater offshore rods but every so often I get requests for worm rods. My customers chose bushido over the MHK everytime..why? They say they are more sensitive, they break less often and don't always need to be carried in a felt lined case. Lol. My recommend the bushido to you 100%. I prefer them, my clients prefer them and in my OPINION they are a better blank. Plus those bushido a are really strong blanks. It's amazing what you can catch on a very light rod.

Posted by: Arron Slater (---.neb.res.rr.com)
Date: June 15, 2016 09:42PM

I personally have built several rods on both blanks. I will always lean towards a bushido blank if I have to pick between a MHX or bushido. Simply because I have personally use them and can feel a huge difference on weight, action and hook set performance when using the two similar rods. I always suggest a bushido rod over an MHX, but always leave it to the customers final choice. Personally I have broken two MHX rods and then switched to bushido a and have never had any problems with them.

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: June 16, 2016 06:16AM

I would have posted earlier, but I was stream brown trout fishing my SJ72/4-8 Bushido yesterday, while my MHX sat against the wall. Light, Straight, Sensitive, and durable as heck.

Posted by: Chuck Blocker (199.249.234.---)
Date: June 16, 2016 10:21AM

Ok, I'm officially waving the white flag. I've ordered my first Bushido. I'll build them both, the MHX and the Bushido. That is really the only true way to know. Thanks for the help.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster