I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: MHX verses Bushido
Posted by: mark mason (---.static.knwc.wa.charter.com)
Date: June 16, 2016 05:56PM

I am looking to build on the SJ72/4-8 also. How would that be for a crappie rod? I mostly use 1/24 oz jigs.
I like the other Bushidos that I've used. I like the MHX also, I think both have their advantages in various siutations. A lot is going to be personal preference.
Good luck to all, I love reading your posts, a wealth of knowledge on this forum.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: mark mason (---.static.knwc.wa.charter.com)
Date: June 16, 2016 05:56PM

I am looking to build on the SJ72/4-8 also. How would that be for a crappie rod? I mostly use 1/24 oz jigs.
I like the other Bushidos that I've used. I like the MHX also, I think both have their advantages in various siutations. A lot is going to be personal preference.
Good luck to all, I love reading your posts, a wealth of knowledge on this forum.

Posted by: howard hodges (---.owb.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 16, 2016 08:46PM

Mark, Ive got a SJ72 blank and that should make a good crappie rod. You might also look at the Batson IP 840. Ive built a sack full of those and got many happy customers. I've also built on a few MHX blanks with good luck.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: June 16, 2016 09:33PM

Chuck =
When you've finished the builds please post the results = what you like and dislike about each. Nothing disparaging more like "I like this about the ______" and "I like this about the ______"

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: June 17, 2016 12:20AM

Mark, the SJ72 4-8 Bushido's make great crappie rods. I picked up some earlier this spring and was greatly pleased with them. I put numerous fish in the boat that were all between 14" and up to 16.25" and didn't loose a single fish and I was not gentle with them at all. I was using 1/16 ounce jig heads with a swarm jig body and also using a 2" slab slayer on the same jig head. I could cast it farther than I wanted to fish it and I also went down to a 1/48oz head with the itty bitty 1.25" slab slayer and it handled that beautifully as well. While I was using the itty bitty slayer I caught several bass up to 3lbs and didn't feel outgunned one bit. I think for crappie you will be pleased with it. On the MHX side I've tried the S781 but I preferred the SJ720 for crappie for my style of fishing. Between the two brands I would take the SJ72 4-8.

I have also got a couple of the RX8 IP840's that I really like, yes they were more expensive than the Bushido but from the 3 companies, I prefer the Batson over them all followed by the Bushido and then the MHX. The place that the MHX SJ720 shines is if you are pitching small baits like beetle spins for crappie in shoreline cover like you would throw spinnerbaits for bass. I have also used RX7 IP840's an IP841's for the same use as the Bushido and they preformed very well also.

Many choices out there for you to consider for crappie.

Tom

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: June 17, 2016 07:14AM

Thomas -
Nice write up and explanation. Thank you

Posted by: jeroen teugels (---.access.telenet.be)
Date: July 03, 2016 02:09PM

I am not an expert, but I think comparing the normal MHX blanks with st-croix SCIV is a rather bold statement don't you think so?

Posted by: jeroen teugels (---.access.telenet.be)
Date: July 03, 2016 02:09PM

I am not an expert, but I think comparing the normal MHX blanks with st-croix SCIV is a rather bold statement don't you think so?

Posted by: Wes Motsinger (184.7.191.---)
Date: July 03, 2016 02:17PM

Yes. They also have compared them with imx loomis.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster