I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lake trout ice rod blank
Posted by: Riley Jacobson (---.sub-70-197-231.myvzw.com)
Date: June 13, 2016 02:37PM

Hello all,

Im new to rod building, well actually im looking into starting, because I need a new rod for lake trout fishing and I want to try this out. I found this forum and have already read and learned quite a bit, but figured id see if anyone has any comments specific to what im looking for.

I do most of my lake trout fishing in the BWCA, im USUALLY not fishing over 100+ ft of water either, I do ocassionally tie up into bigger fish but the average size is smaller than say a lake superior laker. One article I found on here suggested quite highly a batson solid glass saltwater blank? I was wondering if that would be more rod than id really want/need for my applications, and if so, what are some other rod blanks people would suggest? Oh and I do all my fishing outside of a shack. How

Thanks, and looking forward to hearing what you have to say,
Riley

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lake trout ice rod blank
Posted by: Mat Peirce (72.50.244.---)
Date: June 13, 2016 02:57PM

If you want anything over 32" you'll have to go with the Batson - it is the best option out there for fish over 10lbs. There are options out there for shorter blanks (30-38") but nothing I would hand a nice laker off of while working a baitcaster and 1/2oz up baits

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 13, 2016 02:59PM

Riley,
I have built many many ice rods particularly for big fish and this is by far my favorite blank for these fish.

i.e. the 6 foot solid glass Batson Medium action blank that is trimmed from the butt of the rod only to the desired length. I build these rods in lengths from 30-60 inches. Most are about 40 inches long. Wonderful rod for the application and virtually unbreakable in the harsh climate if ice fishing.

Be safe

Posted by: Riley Jacobson (---.sub-70-197-231.myvzw.com)
Date: June 13, 2016 05:40PM

Would the batson blank work okay with jigs below 1/2 oz as well, or is that the kinda on the lower end of things youd wanna go? And seems like a lot of people like the baitcaster option for these but I prefer spincast reels, that wouldnt be any issue I dont think would it? Again im new to this so just want to check. Thanks.

Date: June 13, 2016 06:26PM

Riley,
Virtually all of the Lake Trout Ice rods that I have built have been built as Spinning Rods.

Posted by: Buzz Butters (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: June 13, 2016 09:26PM

Mud Hole CRB spin rod blank cut to size, about $12.00 wholesale................

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.nt.northwestel.net)
Date: June 13, 2016 09:57PM

Riley Jacobson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Would the batson blank work okay with jigs below
> 1/2 oz as well, or is that the kinda on the lower
> end of things youd wanna go? And seems like a lot
> of people like the baitcaster option for these but
> I prefer spincast reels, that wouldnt be any issue
> I dont think would it? Again im new to this so
> just want to check. Thanks.

Riley
Yes it will especially when cut down to shorter lengths.
My outside builds are 42" and inside builds are 28"-32".
Those shorter ones work fine with lighter jigs but still work well to 1.5 ounces or so.

I order my blanks from Utmost Enterprises and they are nice enough to cut them down for me so I save on shipping.

This is what the 42" rod looks like under the load of a high teens/20# laker.

[img.photobucket.com]

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Riley Jacobson (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: June 14, 2016 06:40AM

Very helpful everybody, thanks!

Posted by: Riley Jacobson (---.sub-70-197-198.myvzw.com)
Date: June 14, 2016 09:09AM

For clarification, because there are a lot different kinds, is this the blank you guys are suggesting?

[www.getbitoutdoors.com]

Date: June 14, 2016 10:33AM

Riley,
Here is a picture of the nice Lake Trout caught by this client that had purchased one of the Batson blank based ice fishing rods. The rod was based on the solid glass medium action Salt Water blank cut to 40 inches long.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

These blanks really work very well for this application.

Take care

Posted by: Dave Orr (---.auroracollege.com)
Date: June 14, 2016 11:52AM

Riley Jacobson Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> For clarification, because there are a lot
> different kinds, is this the blank you guys are
> suggesting?
>
> [www.getbitoutdoors.com]
> lanks.html

Yes, that is the one I use.

Regards
Dave

Fishing is Life the rest is just Details

Posted by: Riley Jacobson (---.sub-70-197-198.myvzw.com)
Date: June 14, 2016 05:27PM

Roger and Dave, thanks! Im lookin forward to diving into this project. Been something I wanted to do for awhile now so here it goes!

-Riley

Date: June 19, 2016 11:44PM

What kind of handles do you guys like to put on this rod? Is a regular "ice rod" handle good, or should I get closer to like a 10" spin rod handle?
- I have been ordering most my stuff from mudhole if theres something giod there you guys would suggest

These are probably pretty elementary questions, but I like hearing your guys' opinions.

Thanks

Date: June 20, 2016 01:20AM

Riley,
I have been building up all of these rods as spinning rods with Tennessee cork grips 8 inches long for up to 40 inches. If longer than 40 inches I go to a 10 inch grip.

Tape the reel onto the cork grip and you are set. The cork and tape are both warm in the winter in contrast to cold metal or nylon reel seats that freeze in the cold.

Be safe

Date: June 20, 2016 06:51AM

Thanks once again Roger! Appreciate it.

Posted by: Riley Jacobson (---.sub-70-197-243.myvzw.com)
Date: June 22, 2016 01:20PM

So, mudhole only seems to have a 10" tennesse handle. The rod im building I think I will make is 36". Would you say that the 10" TN handle will work fine still or should I keep looking for ab 8" TN handle somewhere (which im having a hard time finding anywhere actually)

Also, if I did buy the 10", does it harm the integrity of the handle if I would just cut out a 2" portion of it??

Thanks!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster