I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fenwick rod blanks
Posted by: David Adkins (---.dhcp.aubn.al.charter.com)
Date: June 13, 2016 02:30PM

hey, i have made a big buy of some rod blanks. fenwicks,pflueger, lews, and some that doesn't have any names just tips already on them. the guy that owned them was a local pro who passed around 5 years back. these have been garage kept and at a controlled temp. but im wanting to learn to make my own and sell the rest. so im going to keep some of the good ones just because. i was a armature pro awhile back in the eary 90's then busted my back and hadn't fished turnies in 20+ years.. miss it. but anyway. i have a good hand full of the printed on the blank fenwick ca554,555.556,557. some honey colored one white and the rest brown. i have some one that wanting this white one bad and some or all of the ca553 and ca554.. i read some where that the printed on rods are the high dollar ones and the other have decals. my wife read some talk between two guys that really knew fenwick. one of them worked for fenwick and its frank or vic? i know i might be sitting on a lot of money, and i dont want to just give this stuff away. i paid $50 for a bucket of blanks. around 175+ and she also gave me the thread and threading books and building rods book to. she is looking for the the rod turner and some handles and eyes that she hadn't located yet.

but can anyone help me out and teach me what i have?
thanks david

david adkins

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fenwick rod blanks white rod ca553, yellow ca553,554,556,557
Date: June 13, 2016 02:50PM

need help pricing my fewick blanks, yellows, a white one. these are also printed labels not decals.

Re: fenwick rod blanks
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 13, 2016 04:03PM

You aren't sitting on a pile of money, as time and technology have outdated most anything you'd have in that "pile." However, the blanks are as good now as they were 20 years ago so if you decide to build some rods on them you'd no doubt enjoy fishing with them.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 13, 2016 08:28PM

As rod technology has moved beyond these rods, your best bet may fans of the old Fenwick rods.

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: June 13, 2016 09:58PM

I think one of the first rods I made was a Fenwick HMG that I gave to my dad - circa 1978. It was a lovely rod & fished very well. However as others have posted technology has overtaken them.

Date: June 14, 2016 12:47AM

Ya I know that straight through blanks are lot better as sensitivity and getting the strength by weight ratio is a lot better. But Ya like most of you guys said, these blanks make all around good rods and also meaningful as for gifts for a family member who knows fishing and understands the history of technology of back when to now days. But don't need all of these and I'm not from or ever could afford a rod like this when I started fishing . But a honey yellow CA553 .what kinda price is fair for it? I don't won't to screw anyone or get screwed either. Any round about?

Date: June 14, 2016 01:04AM

Oh, Ken P. I have some of those too. The look like some reliable creek fishing rods, which having to retire early because of an injury, I was forced into retirement early in life. So no boat. But I'd rather walk a creek for a couple miles any day. Never get hot and you'll know where the deep spots are! First hand lol. But I was gonna keep some of these blanks too. Dad never owned a top name brand anything. He will soon. But I do have people knocking my door so down wanting these , any guess what's fair? Hmg, CA 553, 554,556 and 556, 557 brown smaller blank

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: June 14, 2016 07:33AM

David -
Can you email me off line with a better idea of what you have? Maybe we can work a deal that is suitable to both of us...

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: June 14, 2016 08:04AM

A honey yellow CA553 might bring you $15 to $20 from the right person. If people are "knocking down your door" surely one of them has made you an offer.

Posted by: doug raff (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: June 14, 2016 11:48AM

Older Fenwick blanks periodically sell on @#$%&. There is an @#$%& for 3 Fenglass CA 557 blanks on now. Bid was $61 last time I looked. And I just lost an @#$%& for 2 Ferilite spinning blanks. The pair went for a bit over $50.

If you have any brown fiberglass spinning or casting rods 6.5 to 8 feet, let me know!

Doug

Date: June 14, 2016 01:13PM

Thanks Doug and Tom. No offer made yet. I wanted to do a little research first. I've gotten several good response and a great advice. Just wanted a base line to dabble with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/14/2016 02:36PM by Tom Kirkman.

Posted by: Steve Satterfield (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: June 24, 2016 01:02AM

I like the Fenwick blanks and would buy a few. Steelhead/Salmon 8' to 12' in length

Posted by: Gary Shellhammer (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 27, 2017 07:17PM

My first post.
I was just handed a Fenwick HMG GSH1324-F blank. I have no idea what it is. I was talking to a rod builder about possibly building a Spey rod when this blank came available. We have no idea about any of the specifications for the rod. Any help in providing the data for it. G stands for graphite. SH stands for steelhead 132 is it length in inches. The remainder of the code I do not understand. 4 weight line? F means ??? Could it be used to build a Spey or switch rod?

Posted by: Bruce Frierdich (---)
Date: February 08, 2021 05:36PM

Hi Gary, I realize almost 4 years have passed but I could be interested in some of your blanks if you still have any. I am particularly interested in any Fenwick fly rods or spey rods. Let me know. Thanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster