I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What blank should I build on?
Posted by: Cameron Johnson (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 12, 2016 09:20PM

Hey guys so I have a person wanting me to build them a rod, but it is a saltwater build and I am not familiar with much in saltwater. He mainly tries to catch flounder, but being saltwater he has the chance to hook into a 100lb + fish. So it has to be sturdy of course. He usually fishes a 2oz weight with 2 hooks above it. He also said he sometimes fishes a sting silver, but I am not sure what that is. I can ask him if need be. Anyways the rod he is currently using is a Sea Striker Contour 6'6 MH it is rated for 12-20lb line (he uses 15 to 20lb mono) and throws 3/8 tp 2oz. He is not wanting to spend a lot of money, just wants a good durable blank. It will also be a casting blank, not spinning.

Also, I order my supplies from Getbit or Mudhole so please recommend a blank I can get from one of them. thanks so much!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What blank should I build on?
Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: June 12, 2016 09:51PM

Wow, a rod for flounder, as well as a 100lb fish...does he play golf with just a 5 iron? Best of luck making him happy

Posted by: Ken Preston (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: June 13, 2016 08:37AM

Look at the MHX 905. That will take care of his flounder needs ... if he hooks a 100lb fish he will likely lose it because it sounds like he's fishing wrecks and the fish will wrap him up OR ... if he is skilled, knows his reel & drag and is fishing on a private boat he just may bring the fish in.

Posted by: David Miller (---.sub-70-210-7.myvzw.com)
Date: June 13, 2016 12:20PM

A Stingsilver is aerodynamic casting spoon that is usually 2oz that is mainly used for surf or pier fishing. They are very common in North Carolina OBX, I also like the similar ES Lures bc I can get them in more colors and sizes.

We need more info on where he fish at such as from surf,sound,bridge,pier or boat to recommend a rod blank that best suits him. As of now I would say a composite blank such as a Rod Geeks XC 732 or Rainshadow RCLB but it maybe better to go with 2 different rods to cover the lure weight range. It depends on what his main use of the rod.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.mycingular.net)
Date: June 13, 2016 04:11PM

Here's the thing I've learned. Build a rod for what you intend to catch. I used to fish for reds off Pensacola beach. I once hooked up with something much larger than a red. My drag couldn't stop it. Presumably it had teeth because all of a sudden the line went slack. I was sad that it got away, and then I caught more reds.

If you have your system set up right and use it appropriately, and you hook up with something larger than you intend, the worst you are probably facing is getting spooled. Just don't high stick it.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/13/2016 04:12PM by Randy Weakley.

Posted by: David Parsons (---.c3-0.rdl-ubr2.trpr-rdl.pa.cable.rcn.com)
Date: June 13, 2016 04:48PM

For saltwater fishing I like a composite blank because you can get the flounder you are after but if a black drum hits you could handle it also. mhx has just come out with a line of composite saltwater blanks that has me looking at them . American tackle make some.

Date: June 13, 2016 08:54PM

Haha I see what you are saying, but he is not targeting fish that large, it is just a possibility that it will happen so he wants one that can hold up to it. I understand what you are saying about drag, though so I guess that doesnt matter so much for him. I know he is targeting flounder mainly, and I believe it is in his own boat.

He told me also that he wants it to stay between 6'6 and 7ft long.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (107.77.106.---)
Date: June 15, 2016 07:21AM

Check out rainshadow swb70mh and their knife jigging blanks. They are priced right and durable. Good luck

Date: June 15, 2016 10:52PM

thanks guys for all the recommendations

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.coxfiber.net)
Date: June 17, 2016 09:35AM

Most of my builds are saltwater and 40% are flounder rods. Fish in the Chesapeake Bay and the American Tackle MB68/12-25 is my go to flounder blank. Handles up to 6oz of lead with no problem and I've had customers that were surprised with 40lb-50lb cobia whilel flounder fishing. Blank is great.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/20/2016 11:35AM by Capt. Craig Freeman.

Posted by: David Miller (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: June 18, 2016 11:32AM

I have heard so many great reviews of the American Tackle Bushido rod blanks that I need to try one out soon.I would also take a look at Get Bit's Liberty line of USA made blanks. They are made with a mix of IM6 and IM7 carbon fiber so they are durable but still lightweight. I would also wait till near July 4th to buy one as their is a chance that Kevin will put them on sale then. He did last year I believe.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster