I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral wrap casting distance
Posted by: mike langevin (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 30, 2016 02:44PM

I have gone over to wrapping all my saltwater rods using the simple spiral with the bumper guide. I don't really feel these rods are casting as well as the ones I had with conventional guide set up. Has anyone noticed this also or am I just crazy?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral wrap casting distance
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.41.---)
Date: May 30, 2016 03:59PM

Mike,
Are you setting up the rod as per the article? If not that seems to be the biggest problem noted.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 30, 2016 04:55PM

When you set the guides up Static Test have the line on the first guides lay on the bottom of the guide -- UNDER PRESSURE -- Transition guides Try to keep as STRAIGHT a line as possible

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 30, 2016 07:47PM

Make sure you didn't add a transition guide. Otherwise there is no reason it shouldn't cast as well as any other rod.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 31, 2016 09:50AM

Mike,
I believe what you are seeing is the norm for a spiral wrapped rod. I just speculate that most folks who do casting do not require extreme distances.

Good luck

Date: May 31, 2016 11:37AM

Since the line doesn't know where the rod is and the line path is just as straight, there is no reason that the Simple Spiral wrapped rod wouldn't case just as far as if all the guides were on top of the rod. There are no corners to turn, no transitions to make.

Posted by: Chris Harban (---.sub-70-199-128.myvzw.com)
Date: May 31, 2016 01:36PM

I am a newbie builder, so take that into consideration, but I just built 2 spiral wrapped rods. Both cast extremely well. One of them is a heavier rod, so it does not really count. The other is a tarpon sized rod, and casts like a rocket. I am a solid convert to spiral wrapped rods.

Posted by: mike langevin (---.sub-70-214-67.myvzw.com)
Date: June 01, 2016 09:15AM

I am looking through the archives here and it seems that I keep running into 2 things

1) some people are saying a 0-60-120-180 method works better for casting
2) it seems some people are using larger size ring bumper guides than running guides

I usually use a 16 stripper guide and all 8 including the bumper

Date: June 01, 2016 09:59AM

That is usually what I do But I then static test to see how the line runs and lays on the rings Having extra guides helps Trying a different size may tell you it will work better

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 01, 2016 10:08AM

The line path on a 0-60-120-180 will never be straight as it is on the Simple Spiral, so I can't see how it would possibly be better for casting.

Back to the 0-60-120-180 system, if you spread out those transition guides, of course, the corners that much be turned become more shallow and should allow better casting that if you stacked them close together, say all within a few inches. Although, one proponent of that system with closely spaced transition guides made good use of it on what he called "high leverage" trolling rods.Obviously his priority in that type rod wasn't casting ability.

Date: June 01, 2016 10:34AM

What I do is to put the guides on from a spinning rod spects At the 180 Then just have the first three with a slight turn Run on top line - static test and adjust guides Then if needed I will put in a bumper

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: mike langevin (---.nycmny.fios.verizon.net)
Date: June 01, 2016 04:32PM

Ok so I think I'm starting to get a clearer picture here. I normally use 16-8-8-8-8-8-8-8-8. Would I benefit going to 16-10-10-8-8-8-8-8-8 or 16-12-10-8-8-8-8-8-8?

Date: June 01, 2016 06:52PM

Mike,
The only way to know for sure would be to tie up each of the potential configurations and do some fishing with the pole.

You don't have to put thread coating on the rod, just wrap up the guides in each of the desired configurations. Don't just tape on the guides wrap the guides so that the guide is secure. Especially when fishing with no guide coating on the guides and thread, you might consider using a locking wrap on each of the guides to be sure.

Be safe

Date: June 01, 2016 07:31PM

Or just tape the guides up and test cast the rod -- Out side in the yard

Bill - willierods.com

Date: June 02, 2016 12:54AM

To get the best results from a test, one needs to fish with the rod. Tape can work for a short term use, but not for a day on the water. A person is only talking about wrapping 3 or 4 guides, so it is not a big deal to wrap on the guides in question. but without coating.

Be safe

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster