I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wiring of dryer motor
Posted by: Ricardo Ortiz (---.sd.sd.cox.net)
Date: May 30, 2016 02:35AM

Ok first off,

Happy Memorial Day!!

And I have to start it with dryer motor problems. Well, I have a dryer motor I have had for years but it has very low work hours, it's mainly been in storage. Now that I need it, it is falling apart. I dug up an extra motor I had, a Pac-Bay AC 120V 36RPM. It has no plug just the two wires, a grey and a black. I am guessing the grey is the "hot" wire and the black is the "neutral" wire. I plan on buying a plug wire with wheel switch like the ones for a lamp. By going with what I already have that seems to be the theme. Just wanted some reassurance. It's been a long past 2 weeks for me!

BUT... What wire goes where?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wiring of dryer motor
Posted by: David Parsons (---.c3-0.rdl-ubr2.trpr-rdl.pa.cable.rcn.com)
Date: May 30, 2016 08:18AM

I think the black is the hot and the gray (off white) is the neutral

Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 30, 2016 08:36AM

I would tend to agree with David.

You could look carefully to see if one wire has ribs molded in....or a colored strip....as that is often used to identify neutal wire on two wire cords. Of course you could contact Pac-Bay.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 30, 2016 11:24AM

Ricardo

For a 120 volt ac motor with only two wires polarity is not an issue, but for convention sake the black would be considered the "high" or "hot" side.
good luck

John

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/30/2016 11:25AM by John DeMartini.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 30, 2016 11:35AM

Ricardo,
The only time that polarity would be an issue would be if the cord that you use has a polarized plug. i.e. one blade of the plug wider than the other plug.

But, even then, in the case of these motors, the wires are completely isolated form the frame of the motos so it really makes no difference at all as to what wire you connect to the AC cord.

Just be sure that if you are plugging the plug into a 120 volt ac plug, that the motor is a 120 volt ac motor.

Be safe

Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: May 31, 2016 12:35PM

Ditto John's comment. It really will not matter, the motor will run with either configuration.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster