I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

First Rod: Euro Nymph/ Drift rod
Posted by: Isaiah Wright (---.dhcp.roch.mn.charter.com)
Date: May 28, 2016 07:28PM

I have decided to build a first rod. I am thinking of building on a Beulah 4 wt Euro Nymph blank or Pac Bay Quiline 4 wt. Maybe I am crazy but I want to put a 16" Tennessee handle on it. So I can slide the rings forward and put a spinning reel on it, to drift nightcrawlers, Slide them back and put a fly reel on and nymph fish. Not completely against putting a short switch handle on it and fishing it like a Michigan handle with the spinning reel. Also what kind of guides should I use for fly and spin?

Like I said maybe I am crazy, and need to build two rods. Any information from all of you experienced builders would be greatly appreciated.

Isaiah

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: First Rod: Euro Nymph/ Drift rod
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2016 12:57AM

I would put spinning guides on the rod if it was going to be used more as a spinning rod, than a fly rod.

Or, if you wanted to, you could put spinning guides on one side of the rod and fly guides on the other side of the rod.

If it is a multi piece rods, you could put the different guides on just the butt section, and use one set of guides for the rest of the rod.

Be safe

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: May 29, 2016 07:55AM

A fly reel will cast just fine through spin guides. Look at the back issues of Rodmaker. There was an article several years ago about building a rod for spinning/fly fishing. It would have some good information for you. I'm sure someone will weigh in with the exact issue.

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 29, 2016 01:35PM

Hello Victor & Isaiah.

There is an article in the 12-3 issue on page 10 called "Build your own...SPIN/FLY Combination Travel Rod".

This might be what you are talking about?.

Tight wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 29, 2016 02:47PM

Isiah,
You'll be surprised with how well a spinning reel will cast on a fly rod, or for that matter a casting rod, if you have a casting rod around, just install a spinning reel in the reel seat and give it a try, fly rod tape the spinning rod on the handle. If you go with the spinning guides than any rod tube you may use to transport and protect the rod will have to be of a large enough diameter to slide the guides into the tube, go to high and the tubes are harder to find or if made from PVC pipe heavy. Just set your priorities accordingly and build to that specs, you'll get better results than trying to be all things.

Posted by: Isaiah Wright (---.dhcp.roch.mn.charter.com)
Date: May 29, 2016 05:20PM

I was thinking of just putting fly rod guides on the rod. The casting distance when I would use the rod with a spinning reel does not have to be all that far. So if it did suffer from the guides it wouldn't be a big deal. If it was built like a TFO it wouldn't matter at all, those stripper guides are HUGE!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster