I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Need Advice
Posted by: Kerry Burgess (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 27, 2016 08:07PM

I have a couple of old Ugly Sticks spinning rods that I use at the ocean for pompano (off the pier). They are 6' one piece rods and have the backbone I need to hoist the pomps from the water to the top of the pier. The problem is they don't' cast well and I can't get much distance with them. I have stripped off the guides and would like to put some Minimas on the rods. I am using a Penn Fierce SRC 3000, spool diameter 47mm. Unfortunately this puts my choker guide right about 8" from the rod tip. What do I do? Is this common? If this is acceptable it's going to look really weird.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Need Advice
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 27, 2016 09:45PM

Guide size and position has nothing to do with the rod's length, same position to the choker guide for a 6, 9, or 12 ft. rod.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 27, 2016 10:15PM

Are you concerned with how it looks or how it works? I would build the rod so that it works well. When using the NGC, the distance from the choker guide to the tiptop is of no consequence. It is the distance from the reel to the choker guide that is important. If you had that same reel and two rods, one 10 feet long and one 8 feet long, the choker would be the same distance from the reel on both rods. The 10 footer would require more running guides than the 8 footer, but again, the choker guide would be located the same on both. The choker guide isn't placed based on rod length.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 27, 2016 10:44PM

All rod are rated to cast a Certain Lure Weight !! What is the weight of the lures you are trying to cast If the rod is not rated for that weight it will not cast it well Sounds like they are not strong enough to cast the lure you are trying to cast

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Kerry Burgess (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 27, 2016 11:14PM

I did not know if there was an exception or not to the rule. I don't mind if it looks strange I just want it to cast better than it did.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 28, 2016 12:22AM

Kerry,
I expect that you are running pretty heavy line, so make the butt guide a size 30 match guide by minima. Then, go down to a size 20 conventional guide and then down to a 16 conventional guide and run size 10 F guides to the tip. to the tip.Likely have 6 o5 7 guides total. You will have a nice heavy duty rod that will cast very well.
Put the butt guide at 19 inches from the face of the reel and you will be good to go.

Be safe

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 28, 2016 07:45AM

Whether or not it looks strange is subjective. Whether or not it works well is a matter of fact. Set it up according to any of the NGC systems and go cast it and see what you think. If it works well you may decide it looks good, too.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: May 28, 2016 09:30AM

Kerry,
You will achieve much better performance through a reduction in line diameter rather than guide train.
If you require the heavy line for winching them up tie your heavy line as a leader to a lighter running line.
Leader length can be twice your pier height so the leader is on the spool for winching.
Remember to loosen your drag and tighten only after the leader is on the spool.

Gene

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster