I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cracks in epoxy
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 26, 2016 10:26AM

The epoxy (?) coating over the thread wraps on Inexpensive factory rods tends to crack and peel with use. Do different types of rod builder's epoxy have different degrees of flexibility, or different lifetimes for their flexibility? Does using CP increase the tendency for the epoxy top coat to crack or peel? Guide foot corrosion quickly follows cracks in epoxy over thread wraps.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cracks in epoxy
Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: May 26, 2016 10:56AM

Hi Phil,

You are posing two interesting questions. I have two bits of data.

About five years ago I decided to rebuild a surf spinning rod that I had built in 1961. I used CP and varnish ( all we had at the time) for finish. There was no sign of cracking on that rod and only one small bit of corrosion. The corrosion was on the tip top which had a nickel Silver frame and a tungsten carbide ring (the rest of the guides were steel frames and rings with a chrome plating made by Mildrum. I built a spinning rod for my daughter several years ago. I used CP and epoxy and I examined that rod a couple of years ago after she graduated to fly rods and there was no sign of cracking. I still have it in my shop and I'll look at it again.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 26, 2016 11:04AM

Most likely what you're looking at isn't epoxy but a UV cured resin, which tend to continue curing forever, becoming more and more hard and therefore subject to the overall cracking you're taking about.

CP wouldn't have anything to do with it.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 26, 2016 11:53AM

You are seeing the problems with a fast set UV cured finish.

Yes different epoxy finishes have different flexibility. Prokote and Aftco are some of the most flexible finishes on the market designed to stop the cracking of the finish at the guide foot.
[proproducts.us]

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: May 26, 2016 01:03PM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:26PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 26, 2016 01:16PM

I was also thinking it may be stiff guide feet I just stripped a rod and it had turbo guides on All the finish had cracks just at the tip of the feet I would guess cause the blank has a fare flex to it the feet were not flexing

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 26, 2016 01:27PM

A small check crack across the end of the guide foot is almost considered normal by many, but can be reduced to a large degree by tapering the guide foot to a very shallow angle.

Date: May 26, 2016 01:37PM

When I took the guides off the feet were tapered a lot to very thin ???

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 26, 2016 04:18PM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:25PM by John E Powell.

Date: May 26, 2016 11:39PM

Well with a ML blank and he wants Heavy guides on it I would think it will do the same And there will be cracks in the finish ???

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 27, 2016 07:28AM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:25PM by John E Powell.

Date: May 27, 2016 09:38AM

Guy don't want to lesson I wanted a middle guide Not Light yet Not heavy for more flex But he wants heavy so now I got lots of grinding to do With in limits of course

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster