I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide Foot Glue
Posted by: philip hardy (62.189.28.---)
Date: May 26, 2016 05:11AM

Hi Guys, I've managed to loose my stick of guide foot glue and can't find a supplier over here in the UK.
Does anyone know who might stock it over here?
I've thought about using tip top glue but not sure if would work out, any thoughts?

Regards,
Phil.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide Foot Glue
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2016 08:56AM

Phil,
Use 1/8th inch wide masking tape. It works very well. No glue to worry about or clean up.

If you don't have the narrow tape, just use a pair of scissors to cut strips in the length needed to tie your guides onto your blank.

Be safe

Posted by: philip hardy (62.189.28.---)
Date: May 26, 2016 09:37AM

Hi Roger, yes, that's what I normally do but struggling a tad with the small single foot guides and have found the adhesive really useful.
I'm sure I bought some over here a year or so ago but for the life of me cannot find a supplier now.
Cheers,
Phil.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 26, 2016 10:14AM

Elastic sewing thread. Cheap and easily available at sewing supply stores. Wrap and knot. No residue, no slippage, touch the taut thread with your razor and it leaps off the blank.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 26, 2016 10:22AM

[www.amazon.co.uk]

[www.amazon.co.uk]

Use the appropriate size tie for the blank being used as well as the guide being used.

Slip on a couple more, in case one breaks.

Slip the guide under the band as needed and adjust on the blank as needed. Wrap 1/2 of the guide foot, and then cut the band off of the guide foot and finish wrapping the guide.

To cut the band, I use a side cutter that is of a smaller size with a finer sharp set of jaws. In addition, I used a sanding belt to further thin the cutting jaws of the side cutter so that the cutting jaws are thin and sharp for easy nipping of the band without touching the thread or guide foot or blank.

[www.amazon.co.uk]

If necessary, use a belt sander to thin the jaws of the side cutters for the best and cleanest band nipping.

Be safe

Posted by: Robert Desrosier (64.229.211.---)
Date: May 26, 2016 09:15PM

hi Phil
try small zip ties, the kind used for holding wires. they can be put on at any time in the build . tighten and cut the long end to start then cut the main strap after the wrap is well under way .
I use a pair of inexpensive flush cutters. they are available and inexpensive.
Bob

Posted by: John Cates (---.sub-70-195-206.myvzw.com)
Date: May 27, 2016 10:14AM

Just find some soft (often white in color) hot melt glue sticks. This should get the job done and be close to what you are used to working with.

Flex Coat Company
Professional Rod Building Supplies
www.flexcoat.com

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: May 29, 2016 10:06PM

Get some low melt glue stick, in clear.. works just fine.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster