I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Bad Form, Poor Taste, Common Sense, or Good Practice?
Posted by: Frank Matthews (---.atw.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: May 24, 2016 05:15PM

What is the general consensus in the rod building community with respect to incorporating some type of alignment mark into the build for rods made in two pieces or more? Personally, I like the idea, and as a new rod builder may decide to come up with something along these lines (no pun intended) that will personally identify my build.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Bad Form, Poor Taste, Common Sense, or Good Practice?
Posted by: Chad Huderle (67.50.131.---)
Date: May 24, 2016 06:29PM

I don't think they'll be a consensus on this. I mention it to the customer and I let them decide so I've built some with and some without. I think most builders would agree. Maybe that's the consensus right there. :)

Thanks,
Chad Huderle

Huderle Custom Rods
Prior Lake, MN

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2016 06:30PM

Run it by the customer and use it if desired, or not if not desired.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 24, 2016 07:09PM

Not so important on two piece, more so on four piece. I build only fly rods and today most are four piece, my customers want and like them. I use a small white dot.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 24, 2016 07:10PM

Customer decides, most like them on 3 to 4 piece fly rods. For alignment dots, I add marbling pigment (or Testors enamel pigment) to a small amount of epoxy finish and use a piece of stiff wire or tooth pick to make the small alignment dots. Once the epoxy sets the dots are there for a long time. Can make the dots any color you want. Wait for the epoxy to set up a little before using.

Norm

Posted by: Barry Chapman (---.opera-mini.net)
Date: May 24, 2016 07:11PM

My experience is after you ask them & they say "How Much" will depend on your answer whether they want one or not .If it is a rod with a dec wrap ,fancy grips ,or urushi done to the rod I always say nothing & the answer is mostly YES .If it is a bare bones rod & I tell them $20.00 the answer is mostly NO .

Regards Baz

Bundeena
NSW Australia

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 24, 2016 07:33PM

Frank

I too doubt there is a consensus, yet. There does seem to be an increasing number of fly rods built with alignment dots.

Personally, I don't get the alignment dot thing. Aesthecally the dots are a non-event. In terms of functionality, it seems to me that alignment dots result in no more alignment accuracy than other methods, and I wonder (fear) they might tempt some to twist an already seated ferrule to get get the final 1 or 2 degrees of alignment perfection.

Date: May 24, 2016 10:44PM

In my opinion they should be more accurate, as it is easier to align two dots an inch apart accurately then it is to align four sections of a string of guides. Additionally, it makes for a much quicker assembly of the pieces. Put the piece together, align the dots, done!

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 24, 2016 11:24PM

If you get a good straight line before adding the dots, the dots do make it quick and easy to accurately put your rod together. I like them, and see no down side to using them.
Norm

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: May 25, 2016 07:48AM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:28PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 25, 2016 08:37AM

Once you have used alignment dots on a 4-piece rod you will want them on your other rods. They are unobtrusive, quick, and practical. What's not to like?

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 25, 2016 07:47PM

from the replies, and how i see it, it's neither bad form nor poor taste.

alignment dots sound like a great idea. but like hook keepers, i've outgrown them quickly. i believe it's more functional to align the section using the guides. I work with fly rods, generally 9 feet in length. (re: hook keepers, i find it easier, faster and more efficient to wrap the line around the reel foot and back up to a midway guide for easy deployment of fly when moving from one spot to another, which is how i fish.)

i think it's good practice to add alignment dots (i prefer the simple, small decals, having tried small feathers in the past) to increase marketability for selling to others. for me, personally, it's not common sense in practice. like the hook keeper example i mentioned, there is another option. i find it's so much faster to align by guides rather than alignment dots.

i have spoken :)

eric
fresno, ca.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 25, 2016 11:48PM

Simple
Build how YOU like it
A Customer you build as THEY want it Nuff said

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 27, 2016 08:24PM

As I mentioned above, I only build fly rods and almost all are 4 piece today. Putting the dots on the rod is very easy.

After completing the build, I carefully align all the sections, then I use a self feeding fine tip white lacquer paint pen to apply the dots. apply all six in less than 20 seconds total!

I have some of my customers bring their factory rods to me to have the dots added. I never charge for something that takes less than a minute!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/28/2016 12:40PM by Phil Erickson.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster