I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: rod guide sizing & other questions
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 27, 2016 02:57PM

Danny,
I have built a lot of rods with the aero reel seat and I have tried the reel both ways.

I just can't imagine building the rod with the reel seat other than down locking.

If you build the reel seat with the reel seat up locking you defeat much of the advantage of having the aero reel seat on the rod - in my opinion.

The aero works so well when the rear grip nestles nicely into the rear of the reel seat. It is easy to make a perfect transition.

A couple of pictures:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/27/2016 03:00PM by roger wilson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 27, 2016 04:18PM

To add If it is up-locking you hand will rest on the hood and threads Very uncomfortable

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 27, 2016 05:12PM

Correct Bill!

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 27, 2016 07:45PM

As I mentioned before the Fuji VSS seat is a very comfortable grip when coupled with a hidden tread KDPS (or KPS) locking nut with a cork or Eva foregrip. The hidden tread locking nut with the foregrips keeps the hand off the treads and increases the overall diameter of the reel seat. For example, the size 17 KDPS with foregrip will be about 1.1" OD, this is a larger OD then a size 25 standard reel seat. The Fuji 17 KDPS hood will fit the size 17 areo reel seat and this combination will also make a very comfortable grip. You can make the fore grip to fit the KDPS nut yourselt or you can buy one that fits (for example, the fore grip for the Fuji KDPS, sold by mudhole). I would go this route with a hidden tread hood rather than using a large reel seat which will not be as aesthetically pleasing. You can use other styles of hidden tread hoods, but they wiil require the tread on the reel seat to be cut back so they fit.
Norm

Date: May 27, 2016 08:42PM

I personally dislike an uplocking reel seat a lot! I don't like the way they look in that position and hood invariably loosens due to the back of the hand being positioned on the hood nut. So you are always tightening the hood while fishing, to me a pain in the butt. Some companies are adding a locking nut to help prevent loosening, but the easy way out is to go down locking and add a no thread hood. I stoped using reel seats in the uplocking position 40 years ago. The only time I use an uplocking reel seat is on a fly rod, or if a customer insists. I know different strokes for different folks, but that's what makes s cutom rod custom.
Norm

Posted by: Danny Peltier (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 28, 2016 12:06PM

Norman Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> As I mentioned before the Fuji VSS seat is a very
> comfortable grip when coupled with a hidden tread
> KDPS (or KPS) locking nut with a cork or Eva
> foregrip. The hidden tread locking nut with the
> foregrips keeps the hand off the treads and
> increases the overall diameter of the reel seat.
> For example, the size 17 KDPS with foregrip will
> be about 1.1" OD, this is a larger OD then a size
> 25 standard reel seat. The Fuji 17 KDPS hood will
> fit the size 17 areo reel seat and this
> combination will also make a very comfortable
> grip. You can make the fore grip to fit the KDPS
> nut yourselt or you can buy one that fits (for
> example, the fore grip for the Fuji KDPS, sold by
> mudhole). I would go this route with a hidden
> tread hood rather than using a large reel seat
> which will not be as aesthetically pleasing. You
> can use other styles of hidden tread hoods, but
> they wiil require the tread on the reel seat to be
> cut back so they fit.
> Norm

Would the sz.17 HPS hidden thread hood work on a 17 Aero as well? This one looks like it would be even more comfortable because the hood is hidden as well as threads.

Date: May 28, 2016 12:19PM

Yes, they are interchangeable, and would work fine. The fore grips that fit the KDPS will also fit the HPS.
Norm

Posted by: Danny Peltier (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 29, 2016 01:35PM

[www.indepthangler.com.au]

This rod is beautiful with an up locking vss, I like it so much I may have to try and mimic some aspects of it. How can I get a locking nut/hood assembly like that? The cabin fiber thread covers and aluminum caps I found look like they're only compatible with sk2 seat parts

Date: May 29, 2016 03:55PM

The SK2 seat parts will fit the VSS seat. They are all interchangeable.

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster