I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

What Blank?
Posted by: dave schaub (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: May 24, 2016 07:41AM

I need to build a bait casting rod to be able to cast 1/4 and 3/8 oz small crankbaits. It must be at least
6ft long. I have never tried such a light rod before. What blank do you guys suggest. Moderate
prices please. Will be used for black and white bass and should be able to cast a fair distance.
Dave

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: What Blank?
Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.coxfiber.net)
Date: May 24, 2016 08:53AM

The American Tackle CB68/6-12 or cb72/8-15 would be good. I use the cb72/8-15 for 1/4 and 3/8 lead heads and also for throwing 17Mr mirro lures. It really flings them out there. I would also recommend using the microwave guide system if you decide to go with one of these blanks.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2016 08:55AM

One of the Batson RX7 crank bait blanks would do the job very well.

Either the 6'6" or the 7' blank in medium action would be ideal.

If you wanted more information, use a caliper to measure the diameter of the tip and the diameter of the butt of the rod. You can then compare those dimensions with current rods to get the general feel for this blank comparisons to other current build rod blanks. If a rod has a given tip diameter and a given butt diameter, it will "normally" have a relative given action.

Moderate price on the blanks as well.

[www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

These blanks have a bit slower action which is ideal for crank bait fishing to get good hookups and to keep the fish from tossing the hook.

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/24/2016 09:05AM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 24, 2016 11:01AM

I think Captain Craig is referring to the light Bushido crankbait blank, a wonderful blank for what you suggest. Good price, CCS almost identical to the old Loomis blend light crankbait blank. Just a little faster action.

I refer to the 6-12, and think that right for the lure wts you will use.

Posted by: dave schaub (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: May 24, 2016 12:40PM

Thanks guys. I will investigate these suggestions. Dave

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster