I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fenwick blank
Posted by: Dan Grulke (---.washdc.fios.verizon.net)
Date: May 23, 2016 09:57PM

Bought a fenwick blank with header card labeled LGTB665 and on butt t6201. It is gloss brown 5'8" and appears to be a panfish/trout blank. Blank does not have the silk screened fenwick emblem. Any ideas what I have or specs?
Thanks
Dan G

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fenwick blank
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 24, 2016 09:04AM

Dan,
If you do not have the silk screened fenwick emblem on it, the best you can say about it is that you have purchased a gloss brown blank. It might or might not be a fenwick blank. But if it is a fenwick blank, it is likely a reject blank for some reason.

Other than than, you appear to have a light power moderate action 5'8" rod blank that will likely build up into a nice light action rod.

Build it up and enjoy the fishing that you get with it.

Before building on the blank, give the blank a deep bend that will flex the blank at least 90 degrees to insure that if there is any defect in the blank you break the blank before spending any time building on it.

Generally speaking it is always a good idea to give a blank a deep 90 degree bend before spending time on the blank building it up.

Sounds like it may be a nice blank.

Good luck

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 24, 2016 10:26AM

The numbers on the header card and butt should match.

LG and LB blanks were typically from the Pacificstic line. I cannot find your number listed in any of the mid-1980's Fenwick catalogs I have.

Posted by: Dan Grulke (166.94.3.---)
Date: May 24, 2016 12:53PM

Thanks guys Didn't make since to me either since the package model # was similar to boat roads of Fiberglass and the butt numbers couldn't find anything. Roger you are correct it will make a killer small creak trout rod.

DG

Posted by: Richard Kline (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 25, 2016 07:44AM

Dan:
I agree with Tom, I reviewed my Fenwick Rod Blank and Component Catalogs 1979 thru 1985 and I listed the the closest Models numbers Hope this will help.

LBG 1665 6 1/2' Pacificstick Royal Gold Blank stats: extra fast, Med- Heavy, 25-60 line, 1-4 oz weights, .949 butt, #9 tip, Blank weight 7 oz.

LBG1655XH 5 1/2' Gold, Stats:Ex-Fast, Extra Heavy, 30-80 line, 2-8 ozs, .876 butt, #10 tip, Blank weight 7 1/2 oz.

Sounds like a knock-off to me.

Rich Kline Custom Rods

Rich Kline CR

Posted by: ed guinn (---.bois.qwest.net)
Date: November 12, 2016 06:36PM

Hi Tom, the LB designation goes clear back to at least 1971, I say this because I have a Fenwick QUALITY FIBREGLASS FISHING ROD BLANK CATALOG THAT IS DATED FROM August 1,1970 _ July 31, 1971. Funny thing is it skips around & doesn't list a lot of the blanks that they made, a example is a rod that I have that I can't find anything about it anywhere, my blank is a lemon yellow Lb---something, the butt measures 1.125 in diameter or 1 1/8th", the tip measures .140 or 9/64th's, the walls at the butt are 1/4" thick,the catalog that I have doesn't show anything close to what I have unless maybe it is JB designated blank, it does have those in there too, the action is just like a Pacificstick 1670, only thing is the 2 blanks are different in color,mine being a lemon yellow & the the Pacificstick is more of a gold color. I think when mine was made they silkscreened the Fenwick logo on because when I touched it with alcohol the logo came right off so whatever that blank was/is gone. Like I said there's a lot of blanks that where made by Fenwick that you can't find any info on. Thanks Ed

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster