I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

How much finish should I take off?
Posted by: James Bare (---.lightspeed.rlghnc.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 23, 2016 03:07PM

I am restoring an old rod with a chipped white surface coat. In a few places I can see down to the bare blank, in others it is only a few layers scraped and scratched off. There seems to be a few layers as it has been redone a couple times. Should I try sanding the whole blank down to the bare blank or just smooth out the deepest places?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: How much finish should I take off?
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2016 03:38PM

James,
Normally when redoing a blank, I generally remove all of the finish.

Use citrus stipper to remove the fnish. Apply the stripper, let it sit for several hours and then use a straight edged razor blade held at 90 degrees to the blank and scrape the finish off. Do not use the blade at a lesser angle to try to cut off the finish or you will likely cut into the fiber of the rod.

If you happen to get into a tough spot, you can use a bit of heat to further soften the finish to scrape it off. BUT go GENTLY with the heat. Too much heat will destroy the resin in the rod blank and destroy the rod.

When 90% of the finish has been scraped off, I use wet and dry sand paper used wet in finer and finer grades used length wise on the blank to remove the rest of the finish.

When redoing a blank like this - I prefer to leave the finish as a matt carbon or glass finish with nothing else other than a coat of wax on the finished rod.

The color does nothing for the blank except to add weight.

With no finish on the blank it can not get scraped or sanded off.

Posted by: Doug Weissinger (107.77.100.---)
Date: May 23, 2016 07:57PM

+1 to previous reply. Citrus stripper... Get all you can off. Then what I do is apply a second round of stripper and use a fairly course painters scotchbrite and sand(or whatever you call stripping with a scotchbrite pad) with the stripper still in the blank. Once the paint is gone I use 1200g wet sanding til I'm tired of sanding. I used min-wax spar urethane clear. One I did in a satin finish and one in semi-gloss. The semi-gloss looks far better than the satin. First time using that to finish a blank. First thought is its going to be too soft of a finish but as the days go by it seems to be getting much harder. I suspect in the end it'll do just fine.

Posted by: peter gersumky (---.lightspeed.sndgca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 30, 2016 07:09PM

when you're finished sanding all the paint off , don't re-finish it , leave it the raw graphite !

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster