I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Hybrid Rod - Spinning or Casting
Posted by: Frank Matthews (---.rtp.zs.ncren.net)
Date: May 23, 2016 09:10AM

I recently ran across this rod [proanglertackle.com] whereby it is stated that the rod is a hybrid and can be used as a spinning or casting rod. I'm a little perplexed since it is my understanding that the guides should be placed on the "belly" of the spine of a spinning rod and on the "back" of the spine for a bait casting rod. How can a rod serve two masters? The only thing I can think of is if the reel seat can be adjusted to allow the reel to be placed on either side of the rod. Is that what is happening or am I missing something?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Hybrid Rod - Spinning or Casting
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 23, 2016 09:57AM

Spine doesn't matter. If it did, then any rod built otherwise to your understanding either wouldn't work or behave in some sort of unusual fashion.

Date: May 23, 2016 10:14AM

Spine doesn't matter...now I am really confused. Maybe when my "Rod-Building Guide: Fly, Spinning, Casting, Trolling" book arrives I will have a clearer understanding. My "understanding" was based on the following: [www.youtube.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2016 10:17AM by Frank Matthews.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 23, 2016 10:31AM

Frank

I think there is more issue than the spine question. Excluding any rare exceptions, using a bait casting reel on a spinning rod would be cumbersome, without a trigger grip, casting and retrieving would in my opinion be difficult and not very efficient.
The only reason I can think of calling it a hybrid is the long handle which would allow one to cast the rod with both hands.
May be proangler can comment on this issue.

John

Date: May 23, 2016 10:34AM

After the above reply I did a search and found the following:

"There has never been any practical evidence that building on the spine does anything for you. Conversely, there has been quite a bit of actual data and facts that reveal that building on the spine simply isn't important and can actually result in a less than optimum final product." (Posted by Tom Kirkman)

I am now anxiously awaiting on the arrival of his book. The first place I will turn.......... Chapter 4. :-)

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2016 10:42AM

Frank,
1. Don't be anxious.
2. Remember that building a rod is based on common sense.
3. In a word, it if looks right to you - it is right.

Basically put a handle on a blank that you want to use for a rod. Put the handle and the guides on the side of the blank that is straight. When you put guides on a rod, start with big guides near the grip and make them smaller as you near the tip.
Put a tip top on the rod, coat the rods, let the coating dry and go fishing.

Basically in a couple of sentences, that is what rod building is all about.

There are 10s, hundreds, or thousands of variations on the above statements, but essentially that is the bulk of the necessary information to build a rod.

Good building, don't be anxious and go with the flow of what makes sense.

Be safe

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 23, 2016 10:52AM

Frank

I am not too concerned with the spine per say. When I prepare to align the guides I sight down the blank and find the "straightest" axis, In most cases that axis is the spine.
I decide what kind of rod I am building and I place the guides along the axis I located on the preferred side of the blank.
The only time I (ME) would use a spinning rod with a bait caster reel is if I was fishing and my bait caster rod broke and I only had a spinning rod handy.

John

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.58.41.---)
Date: May 23, 2016 10:53AM

This is the way I look at it Frank, when I cast a rod with a small casting reel, I naturally roll my hand into a palm down position to give my wrist maximum flexibility and control, what good is the spine doing me then? When I do a side arm cast?
To answer Johns question, when you use a big round reel like on a saltwater rod where more line capacity or heavier line is used, you'll notice none of those casting rods have triggers. They all have pipe style reel seats just like a spinning rod
If it's still up check out the hybrid rods built by the Worried Shrimp here in Oregon, he uses spinning, casting, and fly reels on the same rods with good success.
Hope I helped some.

Date: May 23, 2016 10:57AM

The only time it really comes into play regards deadlift capacity. And, you have to remember the spine is not a "thing" but rather an effect created by various manufacturing anomalies which results in a variation of wall thickness along the blank, and even then, not necessarily in a straight line.

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 23, 2016 01:00PM

Hello Frank.

The only time I worry about spine is when I am building a heavy (60#+) rod for big fish where there is little to no casting so it's just fish fighting.

When you get a big fish on and he is bending your rod into more than just an r the spine does help somewhat in keeping the big sea reels from twisting in your hand especially if the spine is pronounced.

Just my 2 cents.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 23, 2016 01:12PM

Bob
When you do it on heavy stuff where do you put the spine up or down

Thanks

Bill - willierods.com

Date: May 23, 2016 02:20PM

If the guides are located on top of the rod, the rod is going to twist. The lever arm effect of the guides, particularly on heavy rods used on big fish, will always trump the minor spine effect. The only way to keep a rod from twisting while fighting fish is to use a spiral wrap or put a gimbal/nock on the butt of the rod (the tip-most area may still twist).

Date: May 23, 2016 02:23PM

Thank you Tom
I was thinking that also Just thought he had some thing ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: May 24, 2016 03:04AM

Frank,

You will find more information if you do a google search on dual rung.

Hybrid usually refers to materials such as:
A hybrid blank made of graphite and kevlar
or a hybrid bearing with ceramic balls and stainless steel races.

I did help an acquaintance set up a dual rung rod. After it was built, both him and his friend achieved their longest casting distances. Dual rung rods do work. However, it does require an extra guide or two over building a bait caster.

Don Becker

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: May 24, 2016 12:26PM

Hello Bill.

No Bill like Tom said it will still twist with the guides on top, I was talking heavy spin gear (sorry about that), for the conventional gear I do as Tom said and Spiral wrap with one exception, I sometimes get someone who will not accept a spiral rod, so I tell them use in chairs only, if they don't have a chair I won't build it for them.

All stand-up gear I build is either spin or spiral.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: May 25, 2016 04:42PM

I just thought you had some kind of trick That is why I asked
Other wise I know all that

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Frank Matthews (---.atw.dyn.suddenlink.net)
Date: May 26, 2016 08:43PM

Frank Matthews Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I'm a little
> perplexed since it is my understanding that the
> guides should be placed on the "belly" of the
> spine of a spinning rod and on the "back" of the
> spine for a bait casting rod. How can a rod serve
> two masters? ..........

Just read Tom Kirkman's piece on "What About Rod Spine?" Good read and very informative. I have a new understanding now. Thanks Tom.......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/26/2016 09:36PM by Frank Matthews.

Posted by: John Allgood (216.201.245.---)
Date: May 27, 2016 08:19AM

Frank Matthews Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I recently ran across this rod
> [proanglertackle.com] whereby
> it is stated that the rod is a hybrid and can be
> used as a spinning or casting rod. I'm a little
> perplexed since it is my understanding that the
> guides should be placed on the "belly" of the
> spine of a spinning rod and on the "back" of the
> spine for a bait casting rod. How can a rod serve
> two masters? The only thing I can think of is if
> the reel seat can be adjusted to allow the reel to
> be placed on either side of the rod. Is that what
> is happening or am I missing something?

In answer to the original question. The statement calling the rod a 'hybrid' simply means the blank may be built as a spinning rod OR a casting rod. Build it as a casting rod... USE it as a casting rod. Build it as a spinning rod... USE it as a casting rod. It has nothing to do with the built rod being built as one or the other and used both ways.

All that being said, it is just sales people making the blank sound special. ANY rod, whether casting or spinning, may be built either way. Nothing unusual about the rod at all.

The secondary spine topic that cropped up is never ending and there are good answers and references given in the thread.

I hope this helps.

John Allgood

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: May 27, 2016 01:03PM

Their numerous ads make it look like they are selling rods, not blanks.

10 Foot Rod

11 stainless steel eyelets
19.5 inch handle
Two piece rod
Hybrid Rod use Baitcast or Spinning Reel
Weighs only 6.8 ounces
4X Backbone

Don Becker

Date: May 27, 2016 04:22PM

Build Two (2 ) rods A casting and a spinning IMHO you will get better performance from each because you will be able to Dial In The Guides on each rod

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster