I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

how many guides on your 9 foot fly rods
Posted by: Tom Lusis (---.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com)
Date: May 22, 2016 08:36PM

Hi all. Just curious, how many guides do you typically end up with on your 9 foot fly rods?

thanks
Tom.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: how many guides on your 9 foot fly rods
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 22, 2016 09:20PM

Usually just 9 although sometimes 10. Almost never any more nor any less.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 22, 2016 11:15PM

here is a good article on static test which will tell you where and how many
[anglersresource.net]

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 23, 2016 08:53AM

General rule is 1 guide per foot of length or portion thereof. For example, a 7' 3" blank would usually have 7 plus 1 for a total of 8. An 8' 6" blank would have 9 as would a 9' blank. There are exceptions to the general rule. For example, a fighting butt's length is usually not considered in the 1 guide per foot or portion thereof rule.

Only way to know for certain the number of guides needed is apply the general rule and then let static load tests make the final number and location determinations.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: May 23, 2016 09:39AM

Tom,
Generally I use 1 guide per foot based on the distance from the tip to the reel seat.
If I want to increase tip speed I subtract 1 guide.
If I want to slow the blank recovery I add 1 guide.
I don't use visual cues to dictate the appropriate number of guides or the positions. This invariably leads to adding too many because it looks better.

Gene

Date: May 23, 2016 10:48AM

Thanks for all of the input. I usually place the initial guides as per the manufacturer's recommendations and the then start with the static loading + reducing guides. I usually end up with one less than they recommended.

Gene, if you don't use the visual clues do you have a mathematical/measurement based formula of the placement?

thanks
Tom.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 23, 2016 11:20AM

Casting style can make a difference in guide placement. When they cast many experienced fly fishers form a circle around their fly line with their thumb and index finger and place this circle right next to the rod blank. This forms a sort of taming guide or gathering guide and reduces the angle of the line entering the first rod guide from ~90 degrees to ~15 degrees, which should influence the size and positioning of the first rod guide. It also eliminates groping around to regain control of the line in case of a quick hit.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 23, 2016 11:22AM

Tom,
I generally use the number of guides as determined by the needs of the rod blank.

i.e. a rod that has a softer tip of a given rod will need more guides than a rod that has a stiffer tip and vise versa.

I just use enough guides and positioned on the rod to insure that the line follows the loaded blank. A very simple rule that has always worked for me.

I also use the personal rule that I use enough guides and in the appropriate location as well as the appropriate size to keep the line from touching or rubbing against the blank. Both of these rules have kept me out of trouble when it comes to guide layout and rod function.

Be safe

Date: May 23, 2016 11:24AM

Tom,
Yes I have an adjustable log scale that I created in excel format.

Available on line
[rodbuildingtutorials.com]

Sorry Tom. Just went on that link and found it changed. Don't know where Ray put the spreadsheets and technical data.

If you don't have excel just post the rod length from reel seat to rod tip, the rod tip diameter and the desired number of guides.
I can output several variations that you can position to verify your comfort level.

Gene

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/23/2016 12:12PM by Eugene Moore.

Date: May 23, 2016 07:53PM

Hello all,

Thanks for the additional advice. Lots of things to try and consider when it comes to fine tuning,

Hi Gene,

Thanks for the offer, I couldn't find the spreadsheets either.

Here is the information for this rod. The length from the reel seat to tip is 104.5 inches, and the tip-top is 4.5 size.I'd like to try 8 guides.

best,
Tom.

Date: May 23, 2016 09:41PM

Tom,

8 guide 104.5 effective rod length 4.5 tip diameter distance from tip to guide

4.7 ; 10.3 ; 17.0 ; 25.0 ; 34.4 ; 45.7 ; 59.1 ; 75.0

You attempting to speed the blank response ?? Good for you.

9 guide same blank

4.7 ; 10.0 ; 16.1 ; 23.0 ; 30.9 ; 39.9 ; 50.1 ; 61.7 ; 75.0

Slightly slower more conservative.

Your choice.

Gene

Date: May 24, 2016 05:39PM

Hi Gene,

Thanks for the measurements. I'll try the 8 guide formula and let you know how it turns out.

best
Tom

Date: June 08, 2016 10:03PM

Hi Gene,

I finally had a chance to set up the rod. I haven't cast it yet (hopefully tomorrow) but at first look and an impromptu static test the 8 guide spacing works really well. I'll confirm the guide location after some casting but i doubt I will need to do much.

Thanks for your help.

best
Tom.

Date: June 09, 2016 10:04AM

Tom,
That's the same procedure I use.
The rod should respond quicker than a factory build and add an additional 10 - 15 feet to your casting distance with the increased tip velocity.
The blank should also dampen much faster and provide quicker hook set.
What guide and size strategy did you utilize ??
I prefer quick, crisp blanks for all my fishing situations.
I can send you a copy of the spreadsheet, if you require.
My problem with the prevalent guide layout procedure is you can add more guides to obtain a "better looking" static test but this detracts from the blanks dynamic capabilities. When is adding another guide too much for the blank ??
The test cast is the first real test of the guide layout to me.

Gene

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster