I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

shock waves and guides
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 21, 2016 02:27PM

So-called "shock waves" in fly lines during a cast are detrimental to both the distance and accuracy of the cast. I think these waves are generated in the line while it is in the guide train, not while the line is in thin air. Is there any way the number, placement, or size of fly rod guides could minimize the size or number of "shock waves" in a fly line while it is being cast? I am surprised that marketers have not addressed this problem.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: shock waves and guides
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 21, 2016 02:38PM

Phil,
How do you know for sure that fly rod manufacturers have not addressed the issue?

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 21, 2016 06:02PM

I have felt that it's caused by rod "bounce" at the end of the forward cast and therefore not really anything to do with guide placement but with either the casting stroke or oscillation of the fly rod after the "stop."

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.adr02.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: May 21, 2016 06:05PM

Marketers don't address problems. Engineers do.

Date: May 21, 2016 06:27PM

Rod marketers and/or engineers have addressed much more intangible problems such as "feel" and "sensitivity" and "soulful action" to name but a few. Shock waves are concrete problems, visible to both the eye and the camera. They may be entirely the product of the expertise (or lack thereof) of the caster, but I can't help but hope that a better rod could at least minimize this problem.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 21, 2016 07:09PM

Or playing with different lines to see which the blank or rod casts better with

What ever rod you are using -- try up-lining it and see if it helps Most of the time one is using the wrong line weight on said rod

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 21, 2016 08:51PM

Take any rod with which you are experience rod "bounce" or "shock waves" and have a half dozen good fly casters use it and note if the same bounce or shock wave appears. If it has anything to do with the rod, then the same shock wave should occur across the use of various persons casting the rod. If not, then it's not likely a result of anything to do with the rod.

Date: May 21, 2016 10:03PM

It is the person casting the rod

I never herd of any shock waves before If the rod did not cast well I changed the lime Wher does this stuff come up from anyway ???

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2016 09:35AM

Bill is correct.
Shock waves come from casting stroke. Try toning down your energy a little.
Or - lengthen your strike dramatically - like a sideways stroke pointing rod tip directly at back cast AND forward cast. You can use more energy with a longer stroke
Up-lining will work also because you are absorbing some of the extra energy with the weight of the heavier flyline.
Herb

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: May 22, 2016 10:59AM

Phil,
My experience is that the waves are caused by a poorly designed blank taper.
The improvements are all working around the problem.
Buy a blank with a better taper design.
Reduce inertia of the guides train.
Reduce acceleration of the casting stroke.
Many casters will not experience a problem as they don't attempt to "tighten" the casting loop.
If you're looking for performance, look elsewhere for your blank. The taper design will allow only so much before folding.

Gene

Date: May 22, 2016 11:03AM

With what you have now If you have a few friends that fly fish try to find one heavier line and just try it You can also go lower Try to get a line for the blank and the way you cast

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 22, 2016 12:02PM

Although I am not a fly fishing fanatic, I enjoy fly fishing and have been doing it for a long time. However, this is the first time I have heard the term "shock waves" applied to fly fishing. What is it? Might have experienced it but never knew it due to my ignorance!
Norm

Date: May 22, 2016 01:22PM

Reading his post again I started to wonder if what he is experiencing is dirty line and guides possibly rod If they are not clean and slippery the line maybe sort of sticking to the blank guides I usually clean the line two times during a 6 hour of fishing Less if catching

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: May 22, 2016 06:29PM

Bill,
I don't think so. Lots of casters throw shock waves into their line.
What you suggest is same as controlling lines velocity with line hand. That would eliminate shock waves - not cause them.
Herb

Date: May 22, 2016 06:42PM

Like said Never herd of shock waves before and that was just a thought ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Donald Becker (---.hawaiiantel.net)
Date: May 23, 2016 03:37AM

[www.youtube.com]

Pay attention to the rod tip during the slow motion sections.
The oscillations will rob some distance and can feedback to the reel.

Don Becker

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.dhcp.stls.mo.charter.com)
Date: May 23, 2016 09:53AM

Phil,
The upper tier of manufacturers is aware of the problem and has gone to considerable length to answer it.
Better more consistent taper designs, improved materials and construction methods, light wire guides at the tip, single foot guides where required. Sage, St Croix and G Loomis among others are touting improved dynamics (better damping and accuracy characteristics).
It might be possible to generally analyze the blank taper prior to build. Haven't tried it yet, but the taper design should be based on position of the center of mass of the bare assembled blank. Need to analyze some bare blanks to determine to distance from the butt to the assembled center mass. This may correspond to a ratio that could alert you of potential problems prior to building.

Gene

Date: May 23, 2016 11:33AM

You probably can't see the shock waves in the line you cast but an observer or camera viewing the cast at a 90 degree angle can. I too suspect that taper design and the harmonics they produce in the rod blank may cause one rod to cast a smoother line than another. And shock waves can be viewed, recorded and measured, not just "felt" or "sensed" or imagined. I can still cast a fly line and some backing but I appreciate the tips.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster