I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Comparative Weight Between Birch Bark Handles and Cork Handles
Posted by: Lam Nguyen (162.119.11.---)
Date: May 05, 2016 08:17PM

I would like to make a birch bark handle for a Sage drift rod I plan to put together. I would like to keep the final rod weight down. I tried to look for weight comparison btwn birch bark handles and cork handles. How heavy are birch bark handles compared to cork handles? I have not had a chance to personally hold a birch bark handle rod so any feedback is greatly appreciated before I invest time and energy into making one. From the pictures and tutorials I have seen/read online, birch bark handles look very nice and it looks like a pretty tedious process.

Thank you in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Comparative Weight Between Birch Bark Handles and Cork Handles
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 06, 2016 12:56AM

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: May 06, 2016 08:33AM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:32PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: May 06, 2016 10:05AM

Any grip material can be bored and fitted with a foam core to offer a much lighter grip than if the surface material itself is used throughout.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.lightspeed.lsvlky.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 06, 2016 10:52AM

Lam

Great advice from John above. There is an alternative to birch bark that is less expensive and a little less demanding, a faux birch bark grip made from 1/8" cork rings glued together using a tinted (black or dark brown) wood glue or epoxy. The process is then essentially as John described, and yes the faux birch bark made from cork can be fragile but not so much as the real thing. You can experiment with varying stain colors (I like the Minwax cinnamon) and finish with multiple coats of thinned spar or (my favorite) Tru-Oil.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: May 06, 2016 10:56AM

John - Thank you, very informative. Birch bark makes a beautiful grip but appears to be hard to work with. I saw your rod at the Expo, it was gorgeous, the birch bark grip really set it off as something special.
Norm

Posted by: James Newsome (---.244.204.207.client.dyn.strong-sf33.as22781.net)
Date: May 06, 2016 11:34AM

I think Joe Moriaty from Custom Fly Grips made that grip.

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: May 06, 2016 11:58AM

James Newsome Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I think Joe Moriaty from Custom Fly Grips made
> that grip.

That was my understanding as well.

Not to take anything from John's rod. It is truly beautiful.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/06/2016 11:59AM by Victor Heal.

Date: May 06, 2016 01:56PM

Comments deleted

Posted by: Victor Heal (---.mobile.att.net)
Date: May 06, 2016 03:43PM

John, as I read back through the comments I want to make clear I meant no offense. I saw your rod at the MRB gathering and I know the time invested in not just the handle but the rod in its entirety.

Your suggestions for birch bark are spot on. I have made numerous handles out of birch as well and I know the struggle.

Tight Lines

Posted by: Lam Nguyen (---.mycingular.net)
Date: May 08, 2016 11:36AM

Thank you all for the responses. After reading them I feel that I have a firmer grasp on how to make a birch bark handle......first thing on my to-do list is a day hike to find some fallen birch and/or Douglas fir trees so I can collect some bark. Woodworking is new to me so this will be a challenging and fun project! I can envision how my Sage and North Fork Composites custom rods will look with these handles already. I have seen some handles posted online that look so nice! I am going to try my best to see if mine can turn out half as good as these handles! I have done a few custom cork handles with burl cork designs but never done one with tree bark......so here goes my journey!

Thank you again!

Date: May 09, 2016 07:49AM

Comments deleted

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster