I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

MVT reel seat install
Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: May 05, 2016 08:23AM

I have what may be a stupid question. I just placed an order for my next build and it includes an Alps MVT casting reel seat. The only casting reels seats that I've installed that were the type of seat that needed to be ordered to fit the blank, have been Pac Bay Minima casting seats. I've always just fitted the thread barrel with a urethane foam arbor and reamed it to fit.

I'm assuming the thread barrel portion of an MVT reel seat would require, or at least could accept the same type of arbor?

I guess what I'm asking is ....... how have you that have used the MVT reel seat, installed them?

I'll definitely appreciate any tips or tricks that are shared.

Thanks folks !!!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: MVT reel seat install
Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.wavecable.com)
Date: May 05, 2016 11:23AM

Mr. Baylor,
All of our MVT, TX16, and GTB reel seats have splines that reduce the threaded barrel portion of the reel seat body to that of the rear (butt side) of the reel seat. So no arbor should be needed.
Our split reel seat barrels come with a shim pre-glued in the barrel (both aluminum and graphite) for easy install.
One tip about ordering the right size; always order the I.D. size slightly smaller than your blank's O.D. where the reel seat will go. Example: blank O.D. at install location is 12.4mm, order reel seat I.D. size 12.0mm. The reel seats exposure area needs to fit either perfectly or have a slight press fit. Otherwise gluing will be a mess. Reaming of the reel seat may be necessary to achieve the appropriate fit. Fine cut rat tail files and small Dremel-style drum sanders work better for this than using your coarse grit cork reamer. Hope this helps out. Enjoy the build.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Date: May 05, 2016 12:03PM

Mr Staples,

Thank you very much for your response, it is very much appreciated. I'm happy to hear your description concerning the construction of the MVT seat. That eases my mind quite a bit. It seems that the install will be very straight forward.

I ordered the seat from Utmost Enterprises today, along with an Immortal IMMC73ML blank and am having them fit the seat to the blank at a specified distance. My experience with Utmost has been fantastic, and I have no doubt that they'll get me the right reel seat for the blank.

Once again, thank you for responding, as well as for the tips about fitting the reel seat. Both are very much appreciated.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/05/2016 12:06PM by David Baylor.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: May 05, 2016 04:41PM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:33PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Geoff Staples (---.wavecable.com)
Date: May 05, 2016 04:53PM

I agree John. There's a few like that we've been discussing. I'll mention it to the Marketing guys.

-The Batson TEAM
BatsonEnterprises.com

Date: May 08, 2016 11:22PM

I received my order from Utmost on Saturday, and discovered something about the MVT reel seat that is going to be a problem for me. The thing is just too darn sweet, and I'm going to be spending a lot more money on reel seats in the future. I guess that's not the worst problem to have though.

One of my concerns when I was ordering it, other than how the thread barrel was going to fit, was whether or not the knurled nut and locking nut was going to be uncomfortable. As I haven't fished with the completed rod yet, I have a bit of a hung jury on that aspect. I do plan on leaving the locking nut off though. It just feels weird.

Anyhow .... I have an additional question for those that have used this reel seat. How do you handle the space between the spines inside the thread barrel? Once you epoxy the seat to the blank, do you fill those spaces in with epoxy? Or do you simply put on your fore grip?

I'm not using a fore grip per say, I cut the majority of the thread barrel off, and I'm just using a 1/4" thick EVA nub that I turned down so its O.D. matches that of the thread barrel. That way when I need to put on or take off the reel, the nut will slide over a the nub.

I'm concerned about the possibility of water getting into the reel seat if I don't at least seal the end with epoxy. But if I just seal the end, should I be concerned about air that is trapped inside expanding from the heat of the sun, and causing me problems down the road?

Any thoughts shared will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster