I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

popping rod for YFT
Posted by: Jamie D'Antona (---.fttp.sta.comporium.net)
Date: May 03, 2016 12:20PM

Need some suggestions for a popping rod for YFT in Venice. I have made a few OTI rods but looking for a rod with a softer tip and easier to load when throwing sub 5 oz lures.

Been looking at Seeker Hercules GTS70H, MHX Dahlberg series XH, Pheonix Black Diamond XH, Jigging world Ghost Hunter popping blank, and just recently started looking into RodGeeks blanks.

Want to find a blank that is light weight, strong, can cast smaller lures, and can handle tuna in the 35-80# tuna but wont fail if they r larger. I pretty much want the whole cake and be able to eat it too.

I like the OTI blanks but they just dont load well enough under light weight to be able to cast smaller waxwings or swimbaits far enough to be effective. Any suggestions r great. Thanks

Jamie

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: popping rod for YFT
Posted by: Bruno Giuliari (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: May 03, 2016 06:49PM

Hi Jamie,
Have you looked at any of the Black Hole blanks? They may suit your needs.
Bruno

Date: May 03, 2016 06:57PM

Ive looked at them and just built a slow 250g Cape Cod Special, I was just looking at other blanks and was really interested in hearing some feedback on the Larry Dahlberg MHX signature blank

Posted by: Sheridan Stanton (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: May 03, 2016 08:55PM

Hi Jamie, So spinning or conventional? Do you want to throw poppers, waxwings or swimbaits? For the waxwing 7' should be good but the swimbaits and poppers 8' might be better. A good quality composite with a little more glass toward the tip for the poppers a little less for swim baits and the waxwing could be fairly stiff 7' since it would be similar to a yo-yo rod. I can't think of one to do all 3 without sacrificing something. Sounds like it would be best to go pull on a bunch and see what you like. The way different companies rate their rods is all over the board, the same blank with identical ratings from 2 different companies can feel very different so ordering off the web can be tough. Maybe hit up your fishing buddies and pull on theirs or if there's a local fishing club near by try that. I'm on the west coast and a big seeker fan for composites. I have older seeker composite blanks 70,70h and 70f which are good yo-yo rods but I use an 80h for throwing lighter poppers and an 806h for swim baits all convention reels. Some smaller tuna on swimbaits using 25#, 40# on the 80h, up to 60# on the 70 series.Hope that's helpful.

Date: May 04, 2016 09:52AM

Sheridan, I am looking to make another spinning outfit and I want it for throwing waxwings and topwater/sub-surface baits. Poppers will be used with the OTI-3206-768 60-80# since the blank is pretty stiff for working a big popper. The problem is around here in Charlotte area offshore popping rods are not at a premium and most of the guys I fish with do not build their own rods, so everything I build are just based on forum reviews or suggestions. Most people in the area that actually do build custom are bass or lake guys since thats the majority of the clientele.

I am just trying to build something like the Terez line of rods that were "specifically" made for the waxwing. I just refuse to buy one when its way more satisfying to make one. But I agree with you when you say that companies rate their rods differently and of course each blank could be different as well, but I am just trying to get opinions and go from there. I just want the lightest weight blank with a strong backbone and decent tapper to throw smaller topwaters all day. Again, thanks for the suggestions and help.

Posted by: James Taylor (---.wavecable.com)
Date: May 04, 2016 11:45AM

We’ll throw our RainShadow blanks into the ring as well.

From our lineup the RX6/E-Glass RCJB84H is probably our best fit for what you're looking for – this blank is used heavily in California for Yellowfin that they use as a popping and 40# yoyo applications. Find more info at: [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

RCKJB700-325 is another great option, has a slower action than the above. Find the specs at: [www.rainshadowrodblanks.com]

James Taylor
Batson Enterprises
BatsonEnterprises.com | RainShadowRodBlanks.com | ALPSForeCast.com | Build2Fish.com

Posted by: Sheridan Stanton (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: May 04, 2016 08:11PM

Jamie, Just my opinion of what I use. A few months ago I bought a few rainshadows for light surf fishing that were on sale,built one and took it to the beach and another angler bought it right out of my hand. Ended up building 4 more in a month and everyone loved them. I have a similar G Loomis that costs 3x as much and now I'm fishing the rainshadow. Great blanks, good bang for your buck,wouldn't hesitate for a second to pull the trigger on one. I don't know which one for your application but the ones listed by Mr Taylor sound like they'd fit the bill. I might have to get a few myself.

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.hr.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 05, 2016 09:49AM

American Tackle makes some good pooping blanks.

Posted by: Kevin Boonstra (---.wayneschools.com)
Date: May 09, 2016 11:47AM

Cant go wrong with the JW blanks

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster