I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lathe Chuck adapter
Posted by: Marie Simmer (107.77.83.---)
Date: May 01, 2016 08:30PM

I was given a Central Machinery 14 x 40 lathe. I woul like to put an adjustable Chuck on it but it has a 5/8 spindle and I can't find an adapter to go from 5/8 to 3/4 or 1 inch. Any ideas out there? I have searched all over the Internet trying to find one...no luck. Maybe someone with more experience with lathes can steer me in the right direction. It is a model T31082 lathe.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lathe Chuck adapter
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: May 01, 2016 08:36PM

what type of thread pattern does it have?

Date: May 01, 2016 08:51PM

I don't really know...and I'm not sure how to find that out.

Posted by: James DeSantis (74.117.3.---)
Date: May 01, 2016 09:25PM

Try the following link:

[www.mscdirect.com]

I've had good luck with finding parts for my lathe.

Posted by: John DeMartini (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: May 01, 2016 09:31PM

The head stock shaft is 3/4-10 threads per inch.
Check this out for the manual.

[manuals.harborfreight.com]

John

Date: May 01, 2016 10:07PM

This is a different model. I have a 3/4 to 1 inch adapter and it slides right over the threads. The Manuel looks like everything else is the same. The model number on mine is T31082. Can't find a Manuel for that model. But thanks for the try

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: May 01, 2016 10:16PM

Here is a 5/8th to a 1/8 set of threads.

However, remember, this is an imported lathe that may have metric threads. Use a dial caliper and measure the diameter of the threaded shaft to be sure.

A 5/8th shaft is .625 inches in diameter.

15mm = .59 ionches
16mm = 629 inches
17 mm = .669 inches
18mm = .709 inches

Date: May 01, 2016 11:01PM

When I did some cross checking I have found that the spindle shaft threads for the Central machinery 31082 lathe has a shaft size of 17 mm, with metric threads.

----------------
However, the central machinery lathe model # 67690 has a spindle threaded end of 3/4 X 10. Adapters may be purchased for 3/4 X10.

==================
The central machinery model 31082 has head stock beariangs of 20 mm and 17 mm.

My thought is this - pull out the head stock from the lathe that you have. You just need to loosen the allen screws that hold on the pulleys, remove the wheel on the end and then drive out the headstock shaft.

Then, measure the bearing size that is on that headstock. If that head stock uses 20mm and 17 mm bearings and it is the right length, you can order the spindle for the 31082 and use it to replace the head stock spindle that is in the current lathe.

Then, buy a 3/4 x 10 spindle adapter.

Here is a 3/4 x 10 to a 1x8 spindle adapter.

[www.pennstateind.com]

You will also need to measure the shaft size where the current pulley is located on the spindle, to insure that the new spindle would have the same shaft size for the pulley shaft. If, you find that the bearings fit, but that the shaft size is different where the pulley is located, then also purchase the pulley from the model 31082 to fit your lathe.

Pull the headstock spindle and do some measuring.

Good luck

Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: May 02, 2016 04:02PM

Lots of them here, Just determin the you size you need. [bestwoodtools.stores.yahoo.net]

Date: May 02, 2016 04:36PM

Jay,
Great information.
I am only guessing that the spindle is a size 17 mm.

But, I see that in your link that there is a number to call for special adapters to be made.

So, if the person takes out the headstock and goes to a decent hardware store and finds a nut that is a perfect fit on the spindle, they will know the correct thread size and pitch so that the correct spindle adapter is ordered.

[bestwoodtools.stores.yahoo.net]

Great information. Thanks much

Posted by: Marie Simmer (50.50.156.---)
Date: May 02, 2016 10:04PM

Thanks so much for all the information. I think I have decided to sell the lathe I have and buy a different one...it does not really meet my expectations and even getting a special adapter is very costly....might as well get one that is more suited to my needs. Think I am going to get the Harbor Freight 18". It will do everything I need. And I love that you guys are so knowledgeable. Thanks for sharing that knowledge.

Date: May 02, 2016 10:04PM

Thanks so much for all the information. I think I have decided to sell the lathe I have and buy a different one...it does not really meet my expectations and even getting a special adapter is very costly....might as well get one that is more suited to my needs. Think I am going to get the Harbor Freight 18". It will do everything I need. And I love that you guys are so knowledgeable. Thanks for sharing that knowledge.

Date: May 03, 2016 01:19AM

Marie,
I assume that you are talking about buying this one?

[www.harborfreight.com]

If so, good choice.

The main head stock shaft has a 1/8 thread on the outside.
Both the head stock and the tail stock use an MT-2 taper on the inside.

I have essentially the same lathe with the Excelsior name on it. I also have the 18 inch bed extension which I find very helpful. One of the best uses for the bed extension is the ability to quickly slide the tail stock out of the way when working with multiple pieces, mandrels etc. If you can't get the tail stock out of the way, you sometimes have to do things differently with out the ability to move the tail stock down the extension.

If you want a bed extension, these extension's for the Excelsior will bolt right up to your potentially new lathe since it is the same lathe with a different name on it.

[www.rockler.com]

By the way, rockler has the Excelsior lathe for sale for the same price as Harbor freight:

[www.rockler.com]

Date: May 03, 2016 01:21AM

Marie,
I assume that you are talking about buying this one?

[www.harborfreight.com]

If so, good choice.

The main head stock shaft has a 1x8 thread on the outside.
Both the head stock and the tail stock use an MT-2 taper on the inside.

I have essentially the same lathe with the Excelsior name on it. I also have the 18 inch bed extension which I find very helpful. One of the best uses for the bed extension is the ability to quickly slide the tail stock out of the way when working with multiple pieces, mandrels etc. If you can't get the tail stock out of the way, you sometimes have to do things differently with out the ability to move the tail stock down the extension.

If you want a bed extension, these extension's for the Excelsior will bolt right up to your potentially new lathe since it is the same lathe with a different name on it.

[www.rockler.com]

By the way, rockler has the Excelsior lathe for sale for the same price as Harbor freight:

[www.rockler.com]

Date: May 04, 2016 10:42PM

Thanks for the info. We have a Harbor Freight near us and they have a 20% off coupon so I'll get it pretty reasonably. I will see if I think I need the extension and will be able to add it later. I'm pretty new to the lathe and have a lot to learn...but I was new to Rod building 1 1/2 years ago and I find myself getting pretty at it now...never thought I could do what I am doing now! I am hooked!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster