I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Blank recommendations (cast/spin)
Posted by: Danny Peltier (---.buffalo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 27, 2016 05:53PM

I am playing around with the idea of building either a casting or spinning rod to go with my matching spey and centerpin combo, making it a trio. It will be used for throwing spoons/spinners for salmon/steelhead in the winter-spring and for (mostly) texas rigged plastics and maybe some spinner/jerk baits for bass/pike in the summer-fall. I've been looking at the MHX series because the price is right, but am open to anything else that's similar in price (<$70). I'd prefer a 2 peice, making it easier to put in the car, also around 7'0"-8'0". I'm thinking either a blank toward the stiffer end of medium, or lighter end of medium heavy for power rating; fast action.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 04/27/2016 06:05PM by Danny Peltier.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank recommendations (cast/spin)
Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 27, 2016 09:00PM

Check out batson/rainshadow blanks. MH

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 27, 2016 09:36PM

I think for the money MHX blanks are hard to beat. There are a lot of good high quality blanks out there, but IMO for most other brands you have to pay more to get the same quality blank. Do not let the low price fool you.

Norm

Posted by: chris newkirk (---.233.136.40.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 27, 2016 09:55PM

Ditto on MHX blanks. I'm particularly fond of the high modulus line up.

Date: April 27, 2016 10:12PM

I think I'm between the MHX MB842 and 843 both in the 2 peice models. Has anyone had experience with these blanks? All depends how they actually "feel" vs the ratings on paper, I don't want it to be too light that it cant handle a 3/4oz spoon against current, or too stiff that I can't cast lighter weight plastics

Date: April 27, 2016 10:35PM

I have built on both. If you are going to use 3/4 oz spoons go with the MB843, it is a MH blank and will handle 3/4 oz. Makes a good all around bass rod I also use it for inshore redfish. The MB842 will feel softer and less responsive with this weight, but is really nice using lighter lures.
Nor

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 27, 2016 11:44PM

If they are still available, the Rainshadow IP964F, 2 pc. popping rod blank would be an decent option.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 28, 2016 07:43AM

From what I've built, my favorite line of blanks for value is the Bushido line, light, sensitive, straight, pretty low cost for their level of performance.

Date: April 30, 2016 04:02PM

i decided on the MB843. Also, instead of making it to match my other builds (fancy cork pattern with red cedar) im making it my college colors; as we were just approved for a bass fishing club and will be doing tournaments and such. But, now i need a reel, any suggestions? (if this isnt allowed because its a rod building forum i understand). id need it to be a left hand retrieve baitcaster and on the budget side (preferably under 60) im thinking either a Daiwa laguna, abu garcia black max 3, or quantum pulse.

Posted by: Michael Maclean (---.knology.net)
Date: April 30, 2016 04:32PM

What school do you go to? But I really like any lews reels for bass fishing.

Date: April 30, 2016 04:55PM

Michael Maclean Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> What school do you go to? But I really like any
> lews reels for bass fishing.

SUNY University at Buffalo, I'm going to do some black, blue, and white eva grips in a similar pattern to the numbers on the football jerseys.

Date: April 30, 2016 05:00PM

Have not used any of the reels you have listed, but the Daiwa Laguna has the best online reviews of these three. There also some budget Bass Pro casting reels that get good reviews, they have the $80 bionic plus on sale for $60.
Norm

Date: May 01, 2016 12:44AM

I like the way the Lews American Hero speed spool looks, is the right colors. I'll probably either go with that or a Laguna

Date: May 01, 2016 01:05AM

The lew's American hero also get high marks at several online sites. So I agree with Danny doesn't sound like you can go wrong with either.

Posted by: Miles Miller (---.tmodns.net)
Date: May 01, 2016 07:37PM

Dan,
The ONE thing I will say about baitcasters is that try to get one will an aluminum frame. The flex in the graphite/plastic frame reels during a cast will dampen casting quality. At your price point it is tough to find an aluminum frame reel. But if you can, please take a minute and see if you can find one on a deal. I know Scheels uses a lot of Quantum reels for house brand, Quantum has been upping their quality quite a bit starting a few years back.

I'm a reel finatic, and one thing I won't do is buy a baitcaster that doesn't have at least an aluminum frame. Just my two cents!

Date: May 01, 2016 08:48PM

Been intersted in budget casting reels for some kids of friends who are showing a strong interest in fishing and want to try casting gear. I am making them casting rods and their dads want buy good quality buget reels. Although I have not used any of the above mentioned reels, they all get pretty good reviews. The only one of the above that has an aluminum frame is the Bass Pro Shops bionic plus which is an $80 reel on sale for $60. This sounds like a good buy, and one of the dads has already bought one for his son.
Norm

Date: May 02, 2016 10:59PM

Miles Miller Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Dan,
> The ONE thing I will say about baitcasters is that
> try to get one will an aluminum frame. The flex in
> the graphite/plastic frame reels during a cast
> will dampen casting quality. At your price point
> it is tough to find an aluminum frame reel. But if
> you can, please take a minute and see if you can
> find one on a deal. I know Scheels uses a lot of
> Quantum reels for house brand, Quantum has been
> upping their quality quite a bit starting a few
> years back.
>
> I'm a reel finatic, and one thing I won't do is
> buy a baitcaster that doesn't have at least an
> aluminum frame. Just my two cents!

I found some deals....how about the Okuma Krios for $50, or a used Abu garcia Revo S (all silver version, 2011 i think) for $60? those are both aluminum framed.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/02/2016 11:00PM by Danny Peltier.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: May 03, 2016 12:27AM

There were an awfully lot of casting reels built on composite frames over the years, similar products are still available. Some of my composite framed reels are 30 years old and still going strong.

Posted by: Mike Lawson (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: May 03, 2016 06:35PM

There's a meaningful jump in quality in casting reels that retail at $100>. The BPS Pro Qualifier is the way to go on a budget. There well worth the $125 list but are on sale all the time. Alternatively, I'd go with a lightly used Revo S, Citica, Tatula or mid level Lews.

Posted by: Miles Miller (172.56.12.---)
Date: May 03, 2016 07:20PM

Spencer, you are 100% correct.

30 year old reels were usually made in Sweden, Japan, and the US. Now days they are made in China (with exclusion to some made in Malaysia). The composite they use on lower price point reels are better than they were say 10 years ago; yet it is still an upgrade to have an aluminum frame. Less flex in the frame and no chance of getting warped.

Overall, baitcasters today are better at the $60 price range than they were in the recent past. I personally have an antipathy for a baitcaster that doesn't have at least an aluminum frame, so it is just a personal suggestion.

If he goes with the Laguna, it has a compact frame and is very reasonable for the price. Depending on the condition of the Revo S it could be a fair purchase. They are very, very sturdy reels and are know to cast very well. I'm not familiar with the Okuma that was mentioned, but they are a dang good company with quality products.

No matter which direction he takes I feel he will be happy.

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster