I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Some humor (at my expense)
Posted by: Randy Weakley (71.254.178.---)
Date: April 25, 2016 01:21AM

So I finished up wrapping my rod with the 27x method, which seemed to me to leave my size 25 stripper a bit distant from the reel. The reel had a 43 mm spool lip, which is why I chose the 25. Anyhow, because it was so far from the reel, I decided to do a static line test. The reel will hold 8 lb line, so I went with a 3 lb weight, which exceeds the 1/3 rule for drag. I tied a line to the tip with a clinch knot and a weight with a square knot. Some of you probably see where this is going by now. Anyways I ran the line from the reel through the guides and tied on a 1/2 oz sinker. I slowly lifted the 3 lbs weight off the ground and started to asses the line flow.

Then the line slipped the knot at the 3 lb weight, and the rod shot straight up. The release sent me back a step or 2 and the rod into the ceiling fan. The ceiling fan threw the rod into my face and a guide into my forehead. The rod got dropped as my hands went to my face, and quickly filled with blood. Fellas, it was a stream, not a drip, of blood pouring out of my forehead. Apparently head wounds bleed profusely.

The whole thing is kinda funny, because I am a bit prone to bad luck. If you can injure yourself doing something, I will figure out how. I can't fly when I'm injured, so I decided to quit doing risky activities for awhile. I broke a hand mountain biking, and got hit by a car on my motorcycle. A guy I work with told me, "stick to building fishing rods, I'm sure you can't get hurt doing that." Well I sure showed him.

Anyways, if you are doing a static line test, do yourself a favor and make sure you tie a good knot for the line you are using. And for goodness' sake, turn off he ceiling fan!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Some humor (at my expense)
Posted by: Russell Brunt (---.lightspeed.miamfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 25, 2016 04:02AM

Randy, I feel your pain.

I have a rod holder bolted to a concrete wall outside. I tie a nylon cord through the braced part of the tip top. I tie a carabiner clip on the other end and clip it to the handle on a bucket. I use a bowline knot. I zip tie a garden hose to the bucket handle and add water so I can load the blank in fine increments. Ideally you want a system where you can load the blank without having to be near it. Things can get can messy if you load a blank to failure. I wouldn't advise being near one if I could avoid it.

Russ in Hollywood, FL.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (71.254.178.---)
Date: April 25, 2016 08:15AM

I may take a play from your book. I gotta have something safer than that. I'm lucky that guide didn't slam into my eye.

Comments deleted
Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: April 25, 2016 08:53AM

Comments deleted

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:36PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.mycingular.net)
Date: April 25, 2016 10:46AM

Oh my gosh, that is awful. I guess I am not the only one. I tell ya what, though, as I was at work around other people this morning, I couldn't help laugh at myself as I played the events over in my head over and over. So far no one has asked, but I'm sure its coming!

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 25, 2016 11:14AM

Got to be more careful Randy
If I find the rod is too stiff to ( safely ) get it to 90 degrees I bend it to as fare as I think to be safe
The lucky part it did not get an eye like you said

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: April 25, 2016 11:35AM

I am glad you weren't hurt worse Randy.
My last static line test ended up with a hole in my living room ceiling when the line on an old reel I used to simulate the new reel which had not arrived yet turned out to be dry rotted .. When the wife saw it I just said "Don't ask".

Posted by: mike quinn (---.carolina.res.rr.com)
Date: April 26, 2016 07:55AM

I can't believe nobody asked the most important question about your travesty. How is the rod holding up. ;~)

Date: April 26, 2016 08:56AM

Ha ha Mike, believe it or it I couldn't find a single indication that there is any damage to the blank at all. I was utterly shocked.

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: April 26, 2016 04:22PM

Randy Weakley Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ha ha Mike, believe it or it I couldn't find a
> single indication that there is any damage to the
> blank at all. I was utterly shocked.

LOL.....apparently graphite is harder than your head Randy! ;)

Date: April 26, 2016 07:34PM

Joe, I'm pretty surethere is a dent in my ceiling too....luckily it didn't penetrate. Should be able to plaster it up.

Date: April 26, 2016 07:58PM

The plaster will not work on the hole in the head -- LOL

Did you have to get stitches

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 26, 2016 08:15PM

No stitches. I think once my heart rate slowed and I kept steady press on it, it stopped on its own. Still sore tho!

Date: April 26, 2016 09:39PM

Still when I read your post on how it happened --- I had to chuckle

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster