I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Balancing a Rod?
Posted by: Andy Rice (173.224.103.---)
Date: April 24, 2016 11:50PM

On my first few builds I just measured some rods that I already had from a big box store and measured out my split grips the same way. Then I had a buddy of mine that participates in several tournaments a year tell me that my rods were tip heavy. So after that I have started trying to rubber band the reel I would be using onto the blank and try to find a better balancing point before gluing things into position. However, I do not always have the correct reel for each potential customer. Am I putting too much effort into this step? Is there a standard measurement that you guys are using for reel seat placement in order to build a decently balanced rod? If so does that measurement change depending on rod length and action? I would greatly appreciate any information you may have on this subject. Thanks in advance!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Balancing a Rod?
Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 25, 2016 07:24AM

To answer your question as to whether or not you're putting too much effort into balancing a rod and reel combination for your customers.

In general, I would say no. But then again, balance isn't as important on rods for some techniques, as it is of rods used for other techniques. If the rod is going to be used for slack or semi slack line techniques, then yes, I feel it being either neutrally balanced, or tip light, is a huge benefit.

A balanced or tip light rod aids in bite detection. It makes manipulating the rod tip easier and more precise. And it's less fatiguing.

As to whether or not there's a standard measurement for the reel seat to build a decently balanced rod. Please don't take this the wrong way, but decently balanced is nothing more than a factory rod. IMO when a person comes to you and asks you to build them a rod, unless they only want a rod with a specific color theme, then they are coming to you for a better than factory rod.

You don't need every reel on hand to balance the rod. Simply have your customer supply the reel they're going to be using on the rod. If they can't leave it with you on their initial visit because they want to keep using it until their new rod is built, then at least have them bring it and leave it with you for a few days once you're ready to start their build. It's the least they can do to insure they're getting a well balanced rod.

And I'm sure you'll get responses to the contrary ..... but there's nothing wrong with adding a little weight to the butt of a rod in order to balance it. You can only move a reel seat so far before it has the potential to affect the ability to use the rod.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2016 07:35AM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 26, 2016 01:27PM

some of the suppler's on the left did sell weights to add to the but to balance the rod as well a a weight on a rod that went in an out to help with the balance on a rod don't know if they still sell them, Mud hole did have such item's

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.38.---)
Date: April 26, 2016 04:57PM

Not using split grips would help balance, using lighter/smaller guides, less finish, and putting absolutely nothing on a rod that doesn't have to be there all help balance.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 26, 2016 05:30PM

When I first started building rods, I would add weight to balance the rod because in some cases I wanted very short handles.

After a couple of years that even though the rod balanced, I really didn't care for the extra weight that adding the weight to the rod did to the rod.

As a result, now I build rods balanced, and in some cases means using longer rear grips. But I would rather do that, than add weight to the rod.

Be safe

Posted by: Michael Shea (---.128.200.180.grapevine.net.au)
Date: April 26, 2016 06:48PM

Expanding on what Bill said, take a look at the Fuji EWBC Weighted Butt Cap. I've used that on a couple of rods and by unscrewing the screw, you can add more remove the weighted discs to balance your rod.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 26, 2016 07:32PM

If balancing the rod detracts from its ergonomic function, it is a penalty. I maintain that the rod should be built as light as possible, and if the only way to balance it is to put an excessively long grip so that it gets caught in my clothing, or to add weight to the butt, then balancing the rod is counterproductive. The only way to balance a rod which is made from the lightest blank and the lightest guides and an ergonomic length grip is to use the lightest reel possible. IMHO

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 26, 2016 08:05PM

Food for thought on the handle even a split grip instead of say cork use wood the heaver material will help to balance it

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: April 28, 2016 08:19AM

Michael? Wouldn't you want to use a heavier reel?

In actuality, and these are just my feelings and directed at no one ...... the reason rod balance is more ..... I guess, problematic for some, is longer rods, lighter reels, and split rear grips made with lighter materials. I haven't been building long, but I would imagine that it was much easier to balance a rod by moving the reel seat a half inch or so, when rods were using full length rear grips made of cork. Now, because split grips are in vogue, moving a reel seat a half an inch forward doesn't cut it.

As a result of the debates I've read and participated in on this forum that deal with rod balance, I did some experiments. I had to move a reel seat 2 inches forward. to achieve the balance that adding 3/8 at the very butt of the rod would achieve.

When comparing a tip heavy rod, and a rod that is balanced, but weighs 3/8 of an oz more, the heavier rod feels lighter, fishes more efficiently, and fishes more comfortably.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/28/2016 08:20AM by David Baylor.

Posted by: Mike Lawson (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: May 03, 2016 05:59PM

With the reel being so near the fulcrum of the lever (depending on how you grip the rod) I don't find reel swaps all that helpful. I hesitate to add weight at all to a lightweight blank that costs a premium. A quality blank, well thought out grip, and guide train should result in a rod that is a pleasure to fish.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster