I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reel storage ideas?
Posted by: Miles Miller (172.56.13.---)
Date: April 24, 2016 05:40PM

I have been switching out my reels depending on where I'm going more often this year compared to the past. And with 50 reels (give or take, never really counted them), I'm trying to find a more convenient way to organize them. I did a Google search and the only thing I could find was using something like a 3-tier drawer system (like the clear sterilite plastic ones) and putting 4 to a drawer. I don't want to do anything super fancy like the padded Plano reel case, just something basic with easier access.

Right now I have 3 totes, one for low profile, then round profile, and then spinning reels. They are 12 quart totes, and I have to kinda 'dig' through them to figure out which reel I'm wanting. If I don't have any of my rods rigged with reels, then the totes overflow and won't shut.

I also have a shopping bag that has my parts reels, then a shopping basket that has all my old/dirt cheap garage sale find reels that I keep for friends.

I want to see what I have more conveniently, and quicker access. The 3-tier system doesn't seem like a bad idea, just didn't know if someone had a better way that won't cost a ton of money!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reel storage ideas?
Posted by: Roger Templon (---.aoo.pa.atlanticbb.net)
Date: April 24, 2016 06:24PM

Miles

I store my many spinning reels (and a fly reel or two) on a section of 3/4" EMT conduit. I used a couple of stand-off clamps to hang the conduit from the floor joists in my basement, and then held the reel feet to the conduit with loose zip ties that can be slipped on or off of the reel feet. Works out very well for me. Keeps a bunch of reels from getting tangled up and keeps them visible - yet out of the way. Cheap too!!

Rog

Posted by: Robert Moody (---.phlapa.fios.verizon.net)
Date: April 24, 2016 09:08PM

Sounds like a yard sale is coming down the road. Way too many reels to have.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 24, 2016 09:34PM

I recently purchased a cabinet about 4 feet wide by about 5 feet high with multiple, shallow, tilted, shelves from the Michigan State University salvage store for $25. It would be ideal for holding about 100 reels, all visible and easily accessible. I don't know what it was originally designed for , but it is perfect for storing reels. If you live near a government or college that has a salvage store, check it now and then and you may just luck out.

Posted by: Sheridan Stanton (---.sb.sd.cox.net)
Date: April 24, 2016 09:49PM

I used a cheap floor to ceiling book case with adjustable shelves. I can see them all and they don't get beat up being jostled around. Holds more than 50 too. It never occured to me that you could have too many.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 25, 2016 06:45PM

Miles,

This will likely take care of all of your reel storage, if the drawers are tall enough. Very inexpensive and easy to use:

[www.staples.com]

If this one does not work for you, there are several other plastic stack drawers of different dimensions on the same page:

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/25/2016 06:47PM by roger wilson.

Posted by: Miles Miller (172.58.136.---)
Date: April 25, 2016 07:14PM

Roger,
That is almost exactly what I'm leaning towards! I have a staples close by so I will have to run by and take a look.

My girlfriend and I just moved, and she was wanting to throw away 3 of the 3-tier sterilite systems I mentioned that would hold about 4 reels each. I didn't even know she had them (not suprised as it always seems like she has something I had no clue about)!

Posted by: David Parsons (---.c3-0.rdl-ubr2.trpr-rdl.pa.cable.rcn.com)
Date: April 26, 2016 04:17PM

What I have done is mount a 2 X 4 on the wall and drilled holes on a 45 degree angle going down .Then I take reel seats and glue a piece of wood dowel or rod blank in the reel seat ,when done I have the reels hanging on the wall like they have on display at some of the big stores

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster