I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Tip top before or after butt
Posted by: Randy Weakley (71.254.178.---)
Date: April 24, 2016 02:32AM

Just kinda looking for the general consensus. I ran into a problem installing one today. I already had the fighting butt installed, and it seemed like when I was pressing the tip top on, a pocket of air pressure in the hollow blank was pushing back on the tip top. I'm wondering if it may be better to wait until after the tip is installed to seal the tube on the butt end.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Tip top before or after butt
Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 24, 2016 07:36AM

Unless it was a heavy blank the tip area is sealed. The push-back is from the air in the tip-top. I pack the tip-top with slivers of tip-top cement which replaces air and also enables me to install tip-top without putting cement on the tip and re-heating prior to installing.
Herb

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 24, 2016 08:16AM

I put the handle assembly on - Then the tip top to the seat reel and line Line it up then turn as it goes on Tends to go on better Maybe turning helps to push the air out
The butt is always last just in case I need to stick a section of blank into the butt to hold it in the turner or wrapper

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 24, 2016 08:22AM

Because I have the rod butt chucked in the lathe, the butt cap is the last thing I install. Generally I will put a small hole in the end of aluminum gimbals to allow air to escape during installation.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 24, 2016 10:08AM

I always totally finish the grip area, including butt knob and all wraps/inscription, etc first. I have never had a tiptop move as described. I mostly use Fujis, and have noticed a little cement coming out the front under the ring on occasion, so maybe Fujis are vented. I have also replaced numerous tiptops on finished rods, not always Fujis, and have noticed no movement of the tiptop. I'm sure that if the tiptop were held in place until the cement hardened, it would be secure.

Now having said this, the next one will move. :-)

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 24, 2016 11:38AM

Randy,
When I put on a tip, I do the following. I use a tapered piece of piano wire that will fit inside the tip to apply glue to the tip top as well as to the top of the blank. By first applying the glue to the heated metal wire, I use only the minimum glue required with no waste.
I heat the glue and the metal wire and wipe a bit of glue onto the wire and then use the wire to put glue into the tip and on the tip of the rod.

Then, I heat both and press on the tip - while the rod is rotating on the blank. I have the tip spin a couple of times on the blank and that normally lets out any air.

I use a craft stick on the heated excess cement and wipe off the excess. Then, I do a final alignment on the tip.

Never have had any issues with tips moving or coming free with this technique.

Be safe

Posted by: Randy Weakley (71.254.178.---)
Date: April 24, 2016 03:55PM

Thanks for the tips fellas (no pun intended). I've never run into this before either. I think I may change it up, though, and do the butt last.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster