I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Favorite snake guide for fly rods
Posted by: Andrew kelly (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 23, 2016 10:04AM

I'd really like to hear from the experienced builders out there about their favorite choice for snake guides. Ive built rods using standard and lite wire snakes in several different finishes and from different manufacturers. In all honesty I don't see much difference in performance but I haven't been doing this long enough to see how they all hold up.
I'd like to know the performance and durability differences between chrome and Tich finishes and if you see a difference between the manufacturers? Is there any resource out there that has tested different guides and shown the results?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Favorite snake guide for fly rods
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 23, 2016 10:11AM

I use Snake Brand guides, always ready for immediate installation. Never need straightening, foot filing, and they fit the blank better. I've seen no downside to their use over other guides.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2016 10:13AM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 23, 2016 11:47AM

Andrew,
I alternate between two guides:
1. Snake Brand Universal guides. But I don't like the factory foot prep. I file the feet to very sharp-thin points for my "00" and "000" thread. I know what every one says - including Mike from SB. They are just not good enough.
2. REC Recoil extra heavy wire.
On blanks that weight is not too critical I use the Snake Brand. On blanks that weight is a factor I use the recoils. For instance - my latest build on a 10'0" #8 CTS fly rod for use on the Cape Cod surf the SnakeBrand resulted in mediocre performance. The Recoils resulted in a much more lively performance.
Herb

Posted by: Bill Sidney (---.gci.net)
Date: April 23, 2016 03:48PM

snake brand is the best, Standard for the round poles an the other stile for the bamboo , it will make a big difference on the tip section as the feet
curve to fit rod [ foot sets on the rod better] but not many coatings the last time I ordered some

William Sidney
AK

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.res.bhn.net)
Date: April 23, 2016 03:59PM

Do these recommendations hold equally well for both fresh and salt water use?

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: April 23, 2016 04:00PM

Andrew

Long time Snake Brand fan here for fly rods from 6' 3" 2wt to 9' 9 wt and all points in between. Mike has had his guides tested for corrosion resistance by a third party and the results are published on their web site.

The Original Snake Brand snakes must have their feet ground, but I only use them for size 2/0 on lighter rods. Most everything else is the Universal light wire which works for me without feet prep down to size 100 wt YLI silk. Any finer silk and yes the feet will need some prep. But, it's less prep than for other guides.

Posted by: Andrew kelly (---.lightspeed.sntcca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 23, 2016 04:45PM

Thanks for the opinions. I've used snake brand universals most often and I like that the wire is thinner in the smaller sizes. Can anyone say if the TiCH finished from Pac Bay or Alps are more durable or slicker than chrome? And is there a difference between manufacturers like Alps and Pac Bay when it comes to quality?

Posted by: Terje Bendiksby (---.89-10-248.nextgentel.com)
Date: April 23, 2016 05:08PM

ALPS XTCHSNGP = SS316 STAINLESS PVD TICH OVER HARD CHROME

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2016 05:11PM by Terje Bendiksby.

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: April 25, 2016 08:05AM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:36PM by John E Powell.

Date: April 25, 2016 06:08PM

Repeated mentions of 4/0 and 6/0 wrapping thread and bamboo lead me to believe Snake Brand guides are intended for light-duty freshwater use?

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: April 26, 2016 07:53AM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:34PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.lightspeed.frsnca.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 28, 2016 03:41AM

"Can anyone say if the TiCH finished from Pac Bay or Alps are more durable or slicker than chrome?"

i'm interested in this too.

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: April 29, 2016 09:43PM

The Snake Brand website says only their guides are made of "high quality stainless steel" - which is not particularly informative, especially for builders of fly rods used in salt water. I would much prefer 316ss to 303ss or even 304ss. I wish manufacturers of guides and all fishing tackle components would share objective data pertaining to their products. That would enable rod builders to make better decisions about which components to buy and use.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster