I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Dragon skin
Posted by: Gary Dunkum (---.nrflva.east.verizon.net)
Date: April 22, 2016 04:08PM

What size thread do you use under a dragon skin wrap ??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Dragon skin
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 22, 2016 05:07PM

You could use any size you want - larger thread gives a more bold appearance while smaller thread will result in a more subtle surface texture.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: April 23, 2016 03:41PM

Google Jim Trelikes dragonscale wrap.

Posted by: Glen Hendricks (---.lightspeed.hstntx.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 24, 2016 06:27PM

I use size D thread. I lay thread down on 8 axis about a 1/2" apart. makes a nice dragon scale.. I will upload a pic of one that I did in the pics

I Was Born Without Gills, Therefore I Fish!
Love The Wife! Live Long! Fish Till You Die!

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.243.---)
Date: April 25, 2016 10:38AM

I don't use thread. Mesh drywall tape. [www.rodbuilding.org]
Different effects can be done by using strips of tape and by combing the mesh with thread.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 25, 2016 01:42PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: April 25, 2016 09:22PM

I also use drywall tape, with excellent results.

Posted by: Adam Lathrop (141.197.12.---)
Date: April 27, 2016 09:10AM

How do you get the seam of the drywall tape to matchup? wouldn't there be an area of non conformity at the seam?

Date: April 27, 2016 09:24AM

If the rod is of consistent diameter, and you have wrapped it on the correct bias, then it will line up. The tape can also be coaxed into a diamond shape, to take up some of the effect of differences in diameter. Also when cutting the tape, cut one side flush with one of the fibers, and on the other side, leave the fibers long. this will allow the manipulation of the individual strands to make the match.

If all else fails, leave a gap, and then highlight the gap with a contrasting colour.:)

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 27, 2016 09:28AM

That shows how long it has been since I used dry wall tape
I see that it now has adhesive on it When I last used it it went over Spackle to stick it on
Now I know how you get it to stick over the thread

A little research goes a long way

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 27, 2016 09:48AM

Yes, the new mesh tape is slightly adhesive. It is usually put on the wall prior to the drywall compound being applied.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Date: April 27, 2016 10:08AM

Chris
I would think?? you would put the thread on - a coat of finish to hold it and then the tape and finish coats - yes no ?

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 27, 2016 11:46AM

No. Put the mesh tape on the rod. In the past I have biased the tape up the rod to create the diamond shape. Then wrap the thread perpendicular to the rod's axis. This creates the diamond effect. A coat or two of colour preserver and then finish for a basic wrap. I have cut a three inch wide roll of mesh tape into 1 inch widths (was using for bushings), so usually use two or more strips to fill the rod completely. The second strip may need to be trimmed for width to achieve a smooth pattern. I have also run the 1 inch width, wrapped on the bias(left a gap), wrapped with thread and then highlighted the gap with a contrasting thread.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Date: April 27, 2016 12:11PM

Thanks for the info - Interesting

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 27, 2016 05:53PM

Hay Chris

I guess it would depend on the OD of the blank But with the Carbon Fiber Sleeves that are used for the pored handles and the Chinese Finger Lock of the carbon fiber could that not be put over thread or colored twine Shrink tub has no colors and no excitement to it

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 28, 2016 07:54AM

Yes it could. the issue you will have is being able to put pressure on the sleeve such that it conforms to the underlying threads. Just elongating the tube may not be enough.

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 28, 2016 01:45PM

Hello Bill.

I think (but am not sure) that if the thread is large enough, maybe EE or small cord?

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Date: April 28, 2016 03:13PM

Just took a look at the carbon fiber and the smallest seems to be 0.8" that it goes to is a little over 20 mm May not be small enough O well

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster