I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Colored Cork Rings
Posted by: Kerry Burgess (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 21, 2016 11:26PM

Seen these on a web site but they did not give a source where they can be purchased. Anyone know where I can get them?

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Colored Cork Rings
Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: April 22, 2016 10:02AM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:37PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 22, 2016 10:10AM

Check the sponsors on the left Most have cork rings Try to compare with the picture

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 22, 2016 10:22AM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:37PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 22, 2016 10:35AM

Cork4Us and Custom Fly Grips both offer that type cork, or could steer you to one of their dealers that has it.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: April 22, 2016 10:44AM

I have been in touch with Joe at Custom Fly Grips and he is not aware of any that dark, but in definitely checking on it

Ron Weber

Date: April 22, 2016 11:01AM

I found where that photo came from Hope this helps Maybe Joe knows some thing about these rings and can get them for you ??
[www.google.com]

Bill - willierods.com

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2016 11:30AM by bill boettcher.

Date: April 22, 2016 11:30AM

Comments deleted

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 04:37PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: Rod Components USA (---.lightspeed.dybhfl.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 22, 2016 11:40AM

We carry a wide variety of Cork4us cork rings at a great price and if you buy 30 cork rings, you get 5 of equal or lesser value for FREE (no coupon code required) [www.rodcomponentsusa.com]. Right now, our website is only set up to ship to the 48 Contiguous United States. If you need an order shipped to Alaska, Hawaii or Internationally, please email us at rodcomponentsusa@yahoo.com and we will be happy to give you a shipping quote.

Smooth Finish & Tight Lines
Keith, Ann & Lynn

Please check out website rodcomponentsusa.com
If you don't see what you need, please email us, we are a full line distributor for American Tackle and adding more all the time.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 22, 2016 12:51PM

I would love to find a source for rings that are that strong in color. I have done some online searching and have come up empty. If some one finds it, please post.

Posted by: Don @ American Tackle (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: April 22, 2016 01:06PM

I would say the photo has been edited to make the colors that dark.... I have never seen one like that... someone correct me if they have.

800-516-1750 ext. 1207 / don@americantackle.us

Rod Building..... It's What We Do.

Posted by: Joe Moriarity - Custom Fly Grips LLC (---.dc.dc.cox.net)
Date: April 22, 2016 02:36PM

I contacted a few of my cork suppliers and they have not seen anything like that either. I agree with Don, I think the photo has either been edited or taken in creative lighting.

One of the reasons that I developed my premium burl rings is because of the washed out color in standard burl rings. My premium burl rings feature smaller pieces of cork for more vibrant color throughout the material without adding any extra weight. You can find more information on my premium burl rings here: [premiumburl.com] and purchase them from me here: [customflygrips.com]

Joe Moriarity
Director Of Operations
Custom Fly Grips LLC
[www.customflygrips.com]
[www.facebook.com]
joe@customflygrips.com

Date: April 22, 2016 03:12PM

I also wonder if they were maybe coated with some kind of clear Burl if cleared will pop and get brighter

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2016 07:21PM

If you are just looking for an accent color, another option is rubberized cork which can be very black, and other gasket materials that come in many shades and colors. Doesn't have to be cork to be used, there are many paper and rubber gasket materials that work well in grips.

Posted by: Kerry Burgess (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 23, 2016 05:05AM

Thanks for all the input. The web site that featured the photos don't sell anything. But I did contact them and asked for a source. Bill you are a surfing guru. I am also considering building my grips, turn them down to the proper size and shape and try some good old fashion dye and see what happens. Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Posted by: Joe Moriarity - Custom Fly Grips LLC (---.pools.spcsdns.net)
Date: April 23, 2016 08:03AM

Spencer, rubberized cork comes in more colors than just black now. I offer over14 colors of rubberized cork rings and strips including several blacks, browns, reds, and tans as well as a blue and a green: [customflygrips.com]
Rubberized cork will add quite a bit of weight to the grip, of course.

Joe Moriarity
Director Of Operations
Custom Fly Grips LLC
[www.customflygrips.com]
[www.facebook.com]
joe@customflygrips.com

Posted by: John Wright (---.om.om.cox.net)
Date: April 23, 2016 11:55AM

Spencer,

Let me know how the dye works out. I have a few scrap rings in a red rit dye right now testing them.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 23, 2016 12:24PM

Cork is a "closed cell structure" that is why it is used for fishing nets, as it will not absorb liquids, thus it will not absorb dyes. The dye will only be on the surface, if you like that effect, you will need to over coat it to protect it from wearing off.

Posted by: Ron Weber (---.ph.ph.cox.net)
Date: April 23, 2016 12:26PM

I don't see where Spencer mentioned anything about dye. Referring to the dying of the rings, it does not work, I have tried pressure, vacuum, boiling etc.Cork is an impermeable product, and the best you can achieve is a surface color, that will wear away very rapidly Even cork seal, must be redone after a certain amount of time..

Ron Weber

Date: April 23, 2016 01:41PM

After being shaped clear the whole handle It really brings out the color

Bill - willierods.com

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster