I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Scratches on graphite blank
Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.mycingular.net)
Date: April 21, 2016 02:22PM

So I've read about these and how if it goes into the fibers its bad...but how do you tell? I was working on removing an underwraps and scratched the gloss coated blank. It catches my fingernail, but doesn't seem all that deep. How do I know if I ruined my rod? I'd hate to find out the hard way.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Scratches on graphite blank
Posted by: Wyatt Rutherford (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: April 21, 2016 02:44PM

Best thing to try is flexing the entire rod, as if you were fighting a fish. If you put some good weight on it and it does not crack/break/make noise then you might be fine, really online time may tell.

Date: April 21, 2016 11:33PM

I will try this. Does anyone else have any expertise in this? I emailed the Batson, and I will post their response for everyone's knowledge.

It seems everyone knows the rule, but not how to enforce (check) it.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 22, 2016 12:15AM

If it's just a scratch in the finish I would not worry about it. Most rods are fairly tough and scratches are of minimal concern. Take a look at it with a magnifying glass, if you can see cut fibers it may be more serious. If the scratched area is going to be under a wrap, you can scrape off a little of finish to see how deep the scratch really is. If the scratch disappears with the finish you are fine.
Norm

Posted by: Randy Weakley (71.254.178.---)
Date: April 22, 2016 12:34AM

I'm hoping it is. I can pull up the trim band and look again; I'll have to go buy a magnifier. I tuck my trims into the main wrap usually, but I can do one of those standalones with the toothpick/straw method. It takes me a few attempts, but I can usually end up with a decent one. I also just thought about taking a close up with my camera, then I can blow it up on the computer monitor.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 22, 2016 12:53AM

If you are really concerned then the camera sounds fine, should give you a good view. Scratching a blank is easy to do and does not take a lot of force, cutting graphite fibers is harder to do and requires more force. If you do not think there was much force applied when cutting off the wrap you are probably OK. It is hard to remove threads and epoxy without scratching or even removing the finish. I personally think you are OK.
Norm

Posted by: Randy Weakley (71.254.178.---)
Date: April 22, 2016 02:01AM

Norm, not at all. I was trying a technique I saw of a pro builder on a you tube channel. He spun the blank and ran the razor against the blank's decal to rapidly remove it for assembling the grips. So I tried a similar approach. I spun the blank and LIGHTLY touched the blade to the thread. I didn't go down the entire wrap, just the edge to get it started. The scratch goes around only 20% or less of the blank's circumference near the edge of where the wrap was. That was kind of the reasuring response I was hoping for. It was a light touch, so I'm probably worrying over nothing.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hsd1.co.comcast.net)
Date: April 22, 2016 02:13AM

I believe I know the video you are referring to. You are fine. If you need verification,just check out the video on laying down a cord grip by the same gentleman. That ought to speak volumes and set your mind at ease.

Date: April 22, 2016 01:00PM

May be a different guy. This one only has a few posted and all are big game rods, no cork. I will keep looking on YouTube and try to find the one you are referencing. Thanks for the response!

Date: April 22, 2016 02:24PM

Randy, I did not wish to post a link to the video as he is not a sponsor among other reasons. I was referring to @#$%&. I typed cord because I meant to say cord. He drills a hole on the butt of the blank to secure the cord through it with a knot. The point I was trying to make is that you ought to be fine.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: April 22, 2016 10:09PM

Ha ha...you typed cord and I saw what I wanted to see. My mistake. Thanks for the words.

Date: April 23, 2016 03:40AM

You are welcome Randy. Just an honest oversight I'm sure.;-)

Date: April 25, 2016 10:59AM

So I put a tip top on a different rod this weekend. The heat caused the tip to flatten where the tip top was crimped as I pushed it on. This prevented me from being able to turn and align the tip top. So I decided to cut about 3/8" off the tip. I used a razor, and that thing would NOT go through the grapite. I ended up using a dermal with a cutoff wheel, which worked fine. So I am now loads more confident that I didn't do any damage with the light touch I used on the thread removal.

On a separate note, the one I cut the tip off of was the same I got tangled in the fan, if you read my most recent post. The blank seemed completely undamaged. It just ripped most of the guides out of their wraps. Easy enough...made me glad I went with a simple brown wrap with gold trim band. No inlays or anything, so I will be able to wrap them again rather quickly.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster