I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Guide sizing for spinning rod 27x method
Posted by: Brennan Clark (---.105.20.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: April 20, 2016 10:55PM

So first of all, I'd just like to ask what exactly are the benefits of going the 27x route? I've heard better feel, better casting distance, etc but do any of these claims really carry any weight? If not and you'd just suggest a regular setup, what size guides should I purchase?
I'm ordering stuff for a 7 ft mhx fast action spinning rod. Here's what I know (correct me if I'm wrong) I'll need 8 guides, plus the tip top. For less than 10 lb test line I'll probably use size 6 running guides (maybe 5 of them, 3 reducing guides) and the reel will be a Daiwa tournament ss 700 or 1300, and the diameter of the spool determines the placement of the choker. What I don't know is what size I need to get for the (3?) Reducing guides. I don't really want to buy a whole bunch of guides and fund the one that works seeing as how I only build 1 rod as a time extra guides would just go to waste. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide sizing for spinning rod 27x method
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: April 21, 2016 08:28AM

The 27X method is one of several New Guide Concept systems. They all work exceptionally well. With 27X, you have to let the line path tell you what guide sizes you need, so if you don't want to buy extra guides you'll have to do something else. You have various options such as the MicroWave system or the online Fuji guide sizing and placement system software (GPS).

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 21, 2016 09:44AM

Brennen,
For this setup I have been using the following:

size 20 - match guide
size 16 -
size 10 -
size 6 to the tip
size 6 tip top.

Be safe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 21, 2016 11:08AM

Half of the diameter of the spool Face is the START for the size of the first butt guide
27 times the diameter of that spool face is where the choker goes which is the first guide from there to the tip top or running guides

If you plan to build rods it is always nice to get extra which can be used to measure the next rod
plus a 20 will work but a 16 may work better depending on which reel you get It is always good to try different sizes and see how it will cast

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 21, 2016 12:15PM

I like the Fuji KR system for light rods, it casts extremely well.
Size 16 KL-H
Size 8 KL-H
Size 5.5 KLM
Size 4. 5 KBs and KTs as runners
Matching FC or LG tip top with 4.5 ring.
Stripper at 19" " from reel spool.

Could also use PacBay minima guides as a very light alternative.
Size 16 M
Size 8 M
Size 6 M
Size 4 Fs as runners.
FM tip top with Size 4 ring
Set up the same as the KR system. Very light and casts extremely well.

Norm

Posted by: Miles Miller (172.56.13.---)
Date: April 21, 2016 08:01PM

I've been using the 27x method as you're looking at, with pac bay minima guides. Absolutely love it cause the guides are dirt cheap, so you don't cringe thinking about buying extra guides. It's always a good idea to buy extra guides, and extra sizes. A lot of people on the forum are fans of the minima guides. Use the search tool to do some research and you will feel more comfortable making a decision.

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 21, 2016 09:29PM

One thing not mentioned yet is the influence of the line you intend to use. Check out the Fuji catalog for their different setups based on line.

No pun intended, but the bottom line is that the first guide may be a lot smaller if you only plan to use braid to about 15 pound test or mono to about 6. With that line, anything will work well, so go small go light.

With all of the modern systems it is recognized that you don't need to progressively reduce ring size as you go down the rod, do the 27X then one size all the way to the tip. And the weight of the guides past the 27X reduction is very important for sensitivity, not so much for distance.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 21, 2016 11:46PM

The KR guide placement system is different from the 27x system in that it moves the choke point closer to the reel. This creates a rapid choking of the line which I think improves line control, resulting in a very smooth transition to the running guides, and surprisingly long casts. I have identical test rods set up with the 27x, the new guide concept, KR concept and micro wave set ups. They all cast very well, but my favorite is the KR setup using either Fuji KR guides or PacBay minima guides as I mentioned above. This system gives a very light and crisp feeling guide train. I certainly agree with Michael concerning the role of line in influencing guide size and placement. All the spinning guide placement systems work best with braided line, if you use mono I would up the size of the stripper. In general, the heavier the line the larger the stripper guide needs to be.
Norm

Posted by: Randy Weakley (71.254.178.---)
Date: April 22, 2016 12:55AM

On the few I've built, I've had good results skipping sizes. For example running a 25-16-10-6-6-6-6. But I agree, unless you are buying very expensive guides, just get a couple extra sizes to see.

I like the method of taking off the spool and lining up the spool's bolt(??) with the edge of a table. Then put the edge of the ring on your choker (positioned based on the 27x method) along the same edge of the table. So you have the center of the spool aligned with the choker. So now you position reducer guides so that when the feet are on the blank, the outer edge of the ring is even with the edge of the table (just like the choker). If doing that positions it too near or far from the previous guide, go up or down a size as appropriate. For the rest of he runners, I usually end up with a small enough space near the tip to just position about 4 equidistant from each other on out to the top.

I did my first rod like that building one for my daughter. I took it to the park and it test casted it. I'm pretty sure it was the farthest I've ever casted a spinning rod of that size having only used store bought rods before. It was with Pac Bay minimas with the layout listed above and a 1/2 oz weight.

Posted by: John Shear (199.116.173.---)
Date: April 22, 2016 03:18PM

Brennan,
when I started building, I just bought several sizes to experiment with 27X, NGC, KR methods. 27X is pretty simple so I did some with that using Minima guides. I recently did a couple with KR guides, using KR GPS on anglers resource page. Both work equally well for me. I didn't like lining guides up with a string or along the table edge and swapping sizes, so being and engineer and liking design tools I made a spreadsheet I can use to select my guides quick and easy. I can easily see spacing with different guide sizes. This is a good starting point mind you, and adjustment can be done from there but I haven't found the need to adjust the reduction train. Runners are always spaced with static loading.
The only measurements I need are spool diameter and vertical distance from blank to spool shaft. If you PM me the measurements of your reel I could post an example for Fuji K or Minima guides.

Sometimes I think guys try to make rod building more complicated and analytical than it needs to be. I might have just done that myself. ;)

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Date: April 22, 2016 03:25PM

That is why I like the NGC system Simple Other systems complicate things

Right on John

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 22, 2016 03:38PM

Randy,
Just a point on a word.

Casted - is not a word.

The definition of cast:

[www.merriam-webster.com]

The past, present and future tense of the word cast is in fact cast.

Take care

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.mycingular.net)
Date: April 22, 2016 03:57PM

Thanks for the tip roger; how about Bill's persistent lack of punctuation!? Ha ha ha!! You guys are awesome.

Date: April 22, 2016 04:15PM

Randy
You must be a English Major ?? LOL

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (---.mskg.mi.frontiernet.net)
Date: April 22, 2016 04:21PM

There may be a difference between how the different systems/different size strippers, fit into rod tubes. If that is important to you , check it out before deciding on a system.

My personal preference is the Fuji KR system, which has gotten pretty simple.

They casted real good for me.

Date: April 22, 2016 05:03PM

Nah, strength in numbers; I was an accounting major. I hated writing. Not an accountant though. Going on 16 years in the Marines.

Date: April 22, 2016 05:46PM

Lifer ha? They will take care of you

Thank you for your service

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 22, 2016 05:56PM

Heck yeah, wouldn't have it any other way!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/22/2016 10:09PM by Randy Weakley.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: April 22, 2016 10:12PM

Date: April 23, 2016 02:48PM

Randy,
I see that you are a New User of the english language that is set to add "old english" to "new english".

Thanks for the update.
I did not know of the update that you posted. Always good to learn something new.

Be safe

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster