I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2
Re: Guide sizing for spinning rod 27x method
Posted by: Randy Weakley (71.254.178.---)
Date: April 24, 2016 02:26AM

Fun times in the rodbuilding forum...

Options: ReplyQuote
Date: April 25, 2016 08:22AM

So I used this method for my spacing with some pac bay minimas and the butt guide ended up way too far away from the reel, it seemed. I was thinking about using the match framed guides with a higher frame but they are described as being for ultra light. Should I just try a different guide altogether? I guess I could get a 30 on there, but that seems a bit large for the reel I'm using, which measures 43 mm across the lip.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: April 25, 2016 12:28PM

I guess I do not quite understand how your guide placement system works so that you wind up with the stripper too far away from the spool. It sounds like you are building a 7' Lt action spin rod for a matching light reel. For such a rod/reel combo, the stripper should be somewhere between 19"-21" from the reel spool tip. This distance should give a nice straight line from the bottom of the reel spool to the bottom of the stripper guide. It should be noted that both the size of the reel and the height of stripper guide will determine distance from spool. In addition, the size and type of line will also influence the guide train. Do not worry so much about the choke point, you can move the choke closer to the reel and in most cases improve performance. For a given ring size, the Fuji KL-H guides have the tallest frame, the PacBay match guides are a close second, the Y frames come in third, and V frame guides come in last. Frame height is important for the reduction guides, the runners use a low frame guide All the different guide placement methods are starting points and can be modified; no method is locked in stone. So do not hesitate to experiment with your guide sizes and placement. Test casting is the final check. It is these things, in part, that makes a rod a custom rod.
Norm

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.mycingular.net)
Date: April 25, 2016 01:53PM

I built the same blank up for my daughter but used a different reel. Hers came up with a much better layout, and when I test cast it, it was great. I'm guessing my reel has higher mounting foot than hers, which cused the guides to bunch up. That's why I figured a higher frame guide might be better.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 25, 2016 01:55PM

27 x OD of the spool face for the distance of the Choke Guide not butt guide When that is marked a butt guide goes like said ABOUT 19 - 21-22" from the spool Seems a 25 or 20 should work 25 is about the 1/2 of the spool face Then depending on how much space in between the 2 guides place guides there and get a Bulls Eye looking though the guide rings
You should after setting the guides up test cast and try the 20 and 25 to see which casts better

Also take the spool off and you can run a straight edge from the spool shaft to the blank also for the choke guide placement Should run over the butt and rest of the guides

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 25, 2016 04:13PM

Yes folks I understand how the system works. I have read the article, and purchased the special guides issue of Rodmaker. I have a reel face OD of 43 mm. x27 = 1161 mm. I put the choker at this distance. Then I lined up the top of the reduction guides along a line between the center of the spool and the top of the choker. I use the edge of my workbench for this. This caused the butt guide to be a solid 30" I'm guessing from the reel. I'd have to check after work.

Keep in mind these are not concept guides, just the normal PAC Bay minimas. That is why I was asking about those match framed minimas.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 25, 2016 04:27PM

Under the Specifications they read light saltwater I am not sure what was used but there have been posts of builders using minima's for saltwater rods

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 25, 2016 09:11PM

Randy - The PacBay's minima match guides are much higher than their regular minima SV guides. For example, a size 20 match guides is approximately the same height as a size 30 SV guide.and a size 16 match guide is approximately the height of a size 25 SV guide. The match guides for a given ring size are also higher than the new PacBay ZV guides (a Y type frame). The match guides are not less durable than the SV or the ZV guides and I have used them on bass spinning rods and light inshore rods.
I still do not understand your 30 " stripper distance from the spool. My 2500 series reel has a spool diameter of 47 mm and my 1000 series has a diameter of 40 mm, and for these reels the stripper is between 19"-21" from the spool, a whole lot closer than the stripper for your assumed 1500 series reel. I think the use of match guides would be a good choice for your rod, use the KR concept system for guide sizes and placement as a starting point; forget the 27x system for this layout. You will not be disappointed.
Norm

Date: April 26, 2016 01:26AM

Norm, the reel is an Abu Garcia Cardinal 20. I will take some pictures of my process this Saturday and email you. Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I don't know if you read my other post, but pretty much all the guides got ripped out anyways. I don't know how the blank made it out unscathed, but I'll set it back up. The two guides closest to the butt are still in place, so that makes that part easy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/26/2016 01:29AM by Randy Weakley.

Posted by: Donald R Campbell (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: April 26, 2016 10:09AM

Michael Danek Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> There may be a difference between how the
> different systems/different size strippers, fit
> into rod tubes. If that is important to you ,
> check it out before deciding on a system.
>
> My personal preference is the Fuji KR system,
> which has gotten pretty simple.
>
> They casted real good for me.

DITTO!

Don Campbell
don@sensorfishingrods.com

Date: April 26, 2016 10:55AM

Randy, I have read your other posts with amusement, it sounds like the rod build from @#$%&! Do you have a little black cloud hovering above your head?
Norm

Date: April 26, 2016 11:08AM

Norm, most of the time I do..my friends at work have come up with Murphy as a potential call sign for me.

Date: May 02, 2016 07:06PM

Norm, I sent you an email this morning. Let me know if you got it. Thanks.

Date: May 02, 2016 08:10PM

Randy, got it will respond when I get some time, been pretty busy. Thanks!
Norm

Posted by: Matt Wright (---.hsd1.in.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2016 05:43PM

When you all say pacbay minimas, I see three different models in my mudhole magazine. Which ones are you using? I've just been using the standard hlgsf guide sets from mudhole on the three rods I have made. Seem OK but I feel like I'm missing the latest, greatest thing.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: May 05, 2016 09:05PM

I have been using the standard V-frame minimas. Unfortunately, it appears the concept style Y-frames are only available in titanium. I can't afford to put titanium on all my rods. I really like these because they are so light, but I had to recently order a set of Fuji aluminum oxide guides that have the higher Y-frame because the layout just didn't work with the V-frame minimas. I Also ordered a few of the M-frame minimas just to see how they do, but I'm not banking on them just yet.

Date: May 06, 2016 10:03PM

Matt- All Minima guides have a hard chrome ring insert instead of a ceramic insert. These minima guides come in a number of different single and double foot models and there are a number of different frame finishes (colors) for each model. The single foot spinning guide models we have been discussing are the:
1. SV model which is a standard V type spin glide
2. ZV model which is a high frame Y concept type spin guide. It is higher than SV guides but only comes in a titanium frame or tibronze finish making the more expensive than stainless frames.
3. M model which is a very high frame match guide. It is higher than both SV and ZV models for a given ring size.
4. F model which is a low frame flyrod guide, and is used as running guides.
Minima guides are very light and work extremely well. The SS chrome colored frames are very inexpensive but have the same hard chrome ring insert as the more expensive frame finishes, making them a good buy. For light to medium spinning rods I like to use minima M guides for the stripper and for the next two reduction guides. Depending on the reel size, type and size of line, and rod length I group the following M model sizes together (25, 12, & 6), (20, 10, & 6), and (16, 8, & 6)for the reduction train. For running guides I use F model sizes 5, 4, or 3. This is very similar to the Fuji KR concept system, which I also use and like very much. The Fuji KR guides are slightly heavier than the minima M & Fguides, but the KR guides have a ceramic guide which is harder and slicker than the minima guides.
Norm

Posted by: Matt Wright (107.77.83.---)
Date: May 07, 2016 08:32AM

Thanks Norm! My next build I'll give this a try!

Pages: Previous12
Current Page: 2 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster