I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pistol grip holder to use on Am Tkle power wrapper
Posted by: Steve Stansberry (206.246.9.---)
Date: April 20, 2016 09:23PM

I am trying to figure out how to make a pistol grip holder to fit my ATC wrapper. I 've seen the one from Swampland tried to contact them but the mail box was full. Can there be a holder fashioned from PVC pipe and what do I need to consider---Thank You. This is for a vintage Fenwick rod that I had sent a post in approx 1 week ago give or take.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pistol grip holder to use on Am Tkle power wrapper
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: April 20, 2016 10:01PM

Steve,
It is fairly simple to make an adapter for a pistol grip rod handle.

The issue with a pistol grip handle is the angle of the grip with respect to the rod blank.

Take a piece of wood, like a 2x2 and use it for an adapter.

Take a drill press or drill and drill a 3/8th or 1/2 inch hole straight through the center of the 2x2 block.

Then, run a 4 or 5 inch bolt through the hole and put on a washer and nut and tighten it down.

Now, lay the rod out on a 1 1/2 inch block so that the rod sits level.
Then slide the 2x2 block under the angled rod grip. Run a straight edge down the center of the rod blank and extend the straight edge over the center of the bolt that you have placed through the block.

Now, just hold the rod in that position and hold the block with the bolt in that position.

Then, use a pencil to trace the outline of the angled rear grip onto the 2x2 block.

Now, with the lines that you have traced on the side of the 2x2 block - you want to drill an angled hole through the wood block that will be in the center of the block at the angle that will be in the center of the two lines that you scribed on the side of the block.

Make the first hole a relatively small hole like an 1/8th inch or so. The key thing is to have the starting point and the exit point on the block correct - so that the entrance and the exit points align with the center of the lines you have scribed on the side of the block.

Once you have your pilot hole drilled through the block, you now want to use a hole saw that is sized to be as large or a touch larger than the size of your rear rod grip.

With this done, take the block and chuck the bolt into the chuck on your wrapper.

Then, slip the rear grip into the angled hole in the block and lay the rod on your rod rests and see how everything lines up. If all is well, put masking tape as necessary so that the rear grip becomes a slip fit into the angled hole to secure it.

Then, put everything back on the wrapper and wrap and or dry your rod.

Good luck.

p.s. If you have any questions, I can take a picture of the one that I made several years ago and post it.

Post a reply under this post if you would like a picture to clarify the adapter.

p.p.s.
If you have an issue with your power wrapper holding the bolt that you put through the block, put the bolt into the end of a prebuilt rod grip. If necessary drill or bore out the center hole to fit the bolt that you put onto the adapter block. Then, if necessary, use masking tape on the bolt so that you have a non slip fit of the bolt into the additional rear grip. You can cut the grip to 3 or 4 inches as needed to just fit your power wrapper.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/20/2016 10:04PM by roger wilson.

Date: April 21, 2016 05:27AM

Roger great info if you wouldn't mind sending a picture I would appreciate it, my email address is creekside@olemac.net, Thank You.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: April 21, 2016 06:52AM

Steve
Not sure how you mount your pistil grips, but if you drill (ream all the way through), Then use a butt plug to hide the hole at the butt end?

You can leave that plug out and simply wedge another piece of Rod inside the rod blank, (usually just use larger part of broken blank). So the it extends five to six inches past grip. I wedge it in snug, then wrap a little bit of masking tape in a figure 8 pattern back and forth from grip to extended blank to keep it from coming loose. then insert the extended blank into the chuck. When done remove tape, remove extended blank, insert butt pug and you good to go

Date: April 21, 2016 10:03AM

Steve,
Just to double check,
do you have a pistol grip and reel seat like this one:

A --- [www.jannsnetcraft.com]

or

B -- [www.shofftackle.com] --- item HKC-1

If you have the angled pistol grip and reel seat as pictured in A - use the adapter of which I will post the picture.

If you have the straight pistol grip and reel seat as shown in B - do as Steve suggested - drill and or ream a hole all of the way through the rear grip and then simply insert a tapered blank through the rear grip newly formed hole and push the tapered blank through that hole until the blank extension locks up solidly on the inside of the rod blank end. When done wrapping insert a plug that you have made that matches the hole that is currently in the end of the rod grip and sand off the excess material.

Be safe

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 21, 2016 11:25AM

does anyone remember the holder made from PVC tube where a section was cut from the top and bottom of the tube and it then slid over the grip and tapped on I can't find any pictures Lone time ago

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: April 21, 2016 01:52PM

Hello All.

Bill is right there was an article in RodMaker about a jig, but I can't find it.

P.S. Found it, RodMaker 14/5 pg. 38. Backlash made it, "Pistol Grip Holder".

Could there still be another article?

Tight Wraps & tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/21/2016 02:02PM by Robert A. Guist.

Posted by: Ladd Flock (128.36.9.---)
Date: April 21, 2016 02:25PM

Here's a tool you can make:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: April 21, 2016 02:35PM

Ladd
That is the one I was talking about You can probably make some thing out of a metal coat hanger or even two thin metal strips

Bill - willierods.com

Date: April 23, 2016 12:57AM

Yes and no to the grip examples, the grip I have is on an older Fenwick glass casting rod. It seems to be from the 70's,kind of that honey gold or yellow I think it was called. The reel seat is cast with a trigger below and on the side is a manufacturer logo cast into the side of the seat stating Fenwick Westminster, Ca. The rear cork grip is tapered straight and angles down slightly from the back of the reel seat and then ends with a cap and molded into the end is the fenwick bird outstretched wings. I've seen the Backlash version and tried contacting Swampland Tackle however the mailbox is full. That style seems as though it could work, since this will be a wrapping that is done with grip and rod blank already assembled. Based on the info rec'd from everyone the idea is to get a center alignment with the rod blank itself and then be able to fasten the holder to the grip so it aligns also, even though the grip may not. There may be the need to mount this jig/holder to the foregrip if the reel seat begins its angle from the rear of the fore grip. I apologize, my technical abilities are somewhat lacking to include a photo of my grip however I will make every effort to get this done. Thanks again to everyone for their input and not giving up on a new guy trying to educate himself in rodbuilding, I also should include having the patience to respond to the same old questions you've answered many times in the past.

Date: April 23, 2016 02:44PM

Steve,
Sorry to take so long to get the pictures taken and posted for the vintage pistol grip power wrapper adapter.
Here is the picture:

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Note the three views.
Front side of adapter,
Back side of adapter,
Adapter with an example eva grip inserted into the hole to illustrate the angle of the pistol grip.

To make the adapter, take a piece of pine 2x2. Drill a 1/2 inch hole through the center of the 2x2. You will then - when the time is right - insert a 1/2 inch bolt with washer and nut through the hole and make the nut tight to insert into the wrapper chuck to turn the adapter and rod.

Now, lay the adapter board at 90 degrees to the rod blank that is laid out on the work bench. lay the pistol grip on top of the adapter and scribe a line on each side of the pistol grip. This will give you the angle for the grip hole.
Divide the two lines in half to determine the center line of your drill bit. Select a drill bit that is a touch larger than the outside diameter of your pistol grip rear grip. Bore the hole at the angle found from the above procedure.

Then, to use the adapter, build up the rear grip of the rod with enough masking tape to be a tight fit into the angled hole.
Insert the adapter into the chuck of your wrapper and tighten the chuck with the rest of the rod on the wrapper rests.

Go and wrap the rod.

When you look at the picture, you see that the components are a 2x2 block about 5 inches long. A 4-5 inch 1/2 inch bolt, washer and nut. A 1/2 inch hole drilled through the center of the block and a 1 1/4 inch angled hold drilled through the block.

Note: when done correctly, a straight edge that is lined up with the center of the through bolt on the adapter will line up with the center line of the rod blank in front of the reel seat.
Basically, the adapter allows the power wrapper chuck to turn the angled pistol grip rod without any wobble as the rod turns.

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/23/2016 02:46PM by roger wilson.

Date: April 24, 2016 08:29PM

Great info appreciate the response, you guys especially the innovators that have created so much to the craft can't say enough thank yous. I'm a very newbie/probie and really am trying to make a go of this whether it be new rods or refurbishing vintage rods, I am learning so much and applying it to my projects. For instance, when I screwed up on my sons rod, which was my first build, not getting my epoxy right the direction I got was start over. I really hated to do this I was anxious to get this to my son. But I took the advice and sure enough beautiful results, so glad and my son was so pleased. A very humbling experience and educational, this forum is my go to place, I just hope my questions, inquiries, cries for help do not become burdensome and fall on deaf ears. Still working on my grip holder gonna get this one or the other---Thanks to everyone.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster