I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pumps for finish
Posted by: shaun (---.pngts.com)
Date: November 12, 2001 04:20PM

How accurate are the pumps for measuring equal parts of finish as compared to syringes? I have seen Flex coat pumps but have not seen a pump for LS supreme. I can't see any problem using a flex coat pump with a supreme finish or vice versa. I do know that when you get below the half full (half empty) point the syringes are not to user friendly. As well as comments on the pumps any other creative solutions ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Pumps for finish
Posted by: Doug Weber (---.amtrak-west.com)
Date: November 12, 2001 07:19PM

Hi Shaun:

I thought the pumps were a good idea over 5 years ago and purchased them then. I have mixed results with them. First, you do not know if they are giving full volume. Second, I have had them clog arbitrarily and waste product. I've had to replace them about twice a year. When I recently changed to using plastic syringes ( U-40 and Flex Coat), the intermittent finish problems went away as well as the loss of product when the pumps crapped out.

I would not recommend them given the excellent alternative in syringe measurements.

Doug Weber
Weber Rod Works

Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 12, 2001 07:28PM

I think the pumps are for the rod builder's epoxy adhesive and not intended for the epoxy finish. I wouldn't use them except for the glue.

Posted by: Pat Barnard (---.tisd.net)
Date: November 12, 2001 11:55PM

Shaun,
Try using glass test tubes. I use these for mixng Flexcoat finish. I take one TT and mark it at 1.5cc, 3cc, and 5cc, this is my graduated TT (template) and is used to mark all subsequent TT's, it never has finish in it. I used a syringe to get the above mentioned graduations on the template, very accurate. Put each part of your finish in the TT, mix with a glass stiring rod for ~3 minutes, the glass allows one to check the finish for any marbling or incomplete mixing. When complete, pour on aluminium foil and discard the TT. This particular TT has a round bottom and is 4" long, makes mixing a breeze. Good Luck

Pat Barnard
Pat's Custom Rods

Posted by: Roert Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.gh.centurytel.net)
Date: November 13, 2001 12:02AM

I use plastic medical measureing cups (1oz ) they are measred in drams and 1/8 to 1oz works great for me
Bob

Re: Pumps for finish/Alternative
Posted by: Jim (---.icehouse.net)
Date: November 13, 2001 12:57AM

I use stainless measuring spoons, usually warm epoxy so it flows freely, mix 1/4 teaspoon equally, excellent results. More accurate than syringe, cost of $1.99 and last forever.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: November 13, 2001 09:16AM

Syringes remain the best way to measure accurate amounts of finish. Many other methods, such as those mentioned above, exist and certainly do the job well, but I have yet to find a more foolproof method than just using syringes. At least for my purposes.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: November 13, 2001 09:16AM

I would recommend syringes that you can purchase just for the purpose of measuring finishes. . The volumes can be adjusted, although in the case of LS Supreme Ralph says to use 3 cc's of each to assure results.
The accuracy of syringes would be the best in my opininon if measuring equal volumes.
You can easily store the syringes on the bottle caps after drilling a tight hole to accept the syringe and use as needed. Just measure the required volume for the 1:1 ratio and inject into a mixing container.
Make sure all plastics touching the finish is silicone free.
I know many will like using aluminum foil to spread out the mixture after it is mixed. It will provide for a longer working pot life.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: Bill OConnor (---.z216112040.bos-ma.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: November 13, 2001 10:20AM

Instead of foil, I buy the small aluminum pie plates 3or 4" dia. These hold the finish well from oozing out of the foil, yet thefinish spreads out to let the dreaded bubbles out. I stole from my wife the first time!

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: November 13, 2001 10:57AM

I do a lot of repairs and for mixing larger volumes of finish the pumps work fine been using them for years with no problem BUT for custom rods the syringe is the way to go far more acurate for measuring equal amounts of component parts.As to being user unfriendly try doing a search some novel and usefull ideas as to using syringes have been mentioned in the past.
John

Posted by: Eric Young (---.intervoice-brite.com)
Date: November 13, 2001 11:53AM

Just to add one more thing. I have been using the U40 syringes exclusively as of late, and they are great. They are foolproof, as they stop just above the 3cc mark. I just draw up the finish til it stops, so I know I get the exact same amount in each syringe. No secret technique here, but the U40 syringes make it quick and easy to get equal measurements of the two parts.

Eric

Posted by: Kerry (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 20, 2001 03:04AM

I also got tired of getting the finish on the outside of the syringes, so as mentioned above i drilled a hole in the finish bottle cap that is just a hair larger than the tip so it would just go in up to its shoulder. the tricky part is to get the epoxy to stick to the cap. you might try letting the epoxy run down over the edge of the cap to get a good grip. No more mess, works great! been doing it that way several years.

Kerry

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster