I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral Wrap
Posted by: Bill OConnor (---.z216112040.bos-ma.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: November 12, 2001 01:47PM

Ok,
I have a Rainshadow 1288 set up for conventional. BNLG guides (8 plus tip works great for spacing).
Thinking spiral wrap: first guide straight second 60degrees off third 120, fourth 180. It looks OK .
I have cast it with the normal set up and it is great. What a nice blank! I have not had a chance to set up spiral this way to test cast
Any forethought before I tape em on and go to the local football field?
less kids of course!
Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral Wrap
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.tnt3.winston-salem.nc.da.uu.net)
Date: November 12, 2001 03:41PM

Your set-up is similar to the one I have used for many years. I would try it that way but also try a set-up similar to what Ralph O'Quinn detailed for us in the Sept/Oct RodMaker from last year. The line path will dictate where the guides must go. Some people feel that Ralph's system is better for casting.

Posted by: Hugh Miller (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: November 12, 2001 04:25PM

I made up two rods using Ralph's system (the first guide offset to about 45 degrees) and they both work very well.

Hugh Miller

Posted by: Elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: November 12, 2001 04:37PM

I attach the tiptop plus the next two guides. Thread the line through and note the path to the tip. This is the straightess line to the tip, so this will basically be the path of your guides. The last three rods I did this way did not require any repositioning of guides! (I tried different positions, but the initial setup was the best). The only guide that will likely need adjustment is the butt guide due to line slap, stacking, stress distribution etc.... I just follow the path of the line and position the "spiral" guides to where the line touches the top OR bottom of the ring, preferably not the sides. Standard disclaimer here......I am certainly not an authority in this area, many more on this site are well versed in this process, but this is what has proved to be the easiest and most effective method for me. I would greatly appreciate any corrections of my info if it is not correct. (Tom?, does this method sound reasonable?)

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: November 12, 2001 09:10PM

Bill,
If you are happy with the degree angles of your spiral for casting compared to the conventional then you've answered your own question. I think what Tom brought up about the line path dicatating where the guides will go is a better version and I also believe will increase casting distance.

For example, I just completed a musky 6'9" on a St. Croix blank in the spiral configuration. It has 11 guides plus the tip. The spiral guides take up 6 of the set where the line path DOES dictate where the angles of the guides are in relation to the 0 degrees from the reel.
I could cast a musky crankbait which normally at this time of season tend to be larger, but it did cast far and outdistanced the conventional factory rod with the exact blank my fishing partner was using.

I seem to be always picking up new knowledge or observations about the use of spiral wrap and in field testing is more acute. My partner indicated to me that while trolling the deep running crankbaits there was the usual sensitivity at the tip detecting the vibrations as the lure was moving, but the difference between the spiral wrapped rod and the conventional factory version being the less vibration at the handle with the custom spiral wrap. Due in part, I believe by the better arrangement of the line path of the final 5 or six tip guides promoting less torsion. This idea is often discussed as an advantage of the sprial wrap (less blank twist or torsion), but the better handle control and reduction in fatigue while holding the rod for long periods is really noticed.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster