I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Get all of the building requirements before starting the build
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2016 08:05PM

I sent out some rods earlier this week

The rods were built - using the same components and measurements as have been used for several other customers who were happy with the rods.

However, this particular client - after using the rod for a couple of days, realized that the Tennessee grip was shorter than the grips to which he was accustomed to using.

The reason, for his questions is that he holds his rods in a non conventional manner.

Unfortunately, I did not ask, and he did not request a change from the "standard configuration" that is built for other customers.

His request will be addressed and changed - but it will come at an expense of time and effort as well as a loss of use in the product for the customer.

So, before signing off on a rod order, be sure that the client is aware of all of the characteristic of the rod that is being ordered. I will admit, that this was a first for me, but you can be sure that the same mistake will not happen again.

Good luck

p.s.
I did receive an e-mail from the client indicating that I had asked about the handle length on the rod, but he had not actually gone out and checked the lengths of his favorite rods. So, I dug further back into my e-mail and found that Yes, I had stated the normal finished length of the rod handle and had asked him if it was the correct length for his needs. So, it is good ot keep the records. However, after the season is finished, I will take care of the issue for him, but he will use the rods for the rest of the season.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/15/2016 12:47PM by roger wilson.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Get all of the building requirements before starting the build
Posted by: Robert A. Guist (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 14, 2016 10:21AM

Hello Roger.

I use my build sheet as a check list and go down it line by line.

Comments: Completed Rod CR
NAME: Inventory. DATE: 7/1/2010
Inventory# / Build#: Inventory #28 / Build # 14 E.DATE: 8/29/2010 More Comments:
Hours: 40 HO Cost:
BLANK:
MAKE: Shikari. $62.26
MODEL: FS764X W/Butt Removed.
LINE: 12-25#
LURE: 1/4-1oz.
ACTION: Medium
POWER: N/L.
LENGTH/WEIGHT: 6'7" / N/L.
BUTT DIA: 0.460
TIP DIA: 6.5
CENTS:
ERN:
AA:
Cost Ea. Quantity: Distance From Tip in Inches.
GUIDES:
FUJI TYSG-4.5J. $4.95 5 3-3/4",8",12",16", 20". $24.75
TYSG-8J. $5.65 1 26". $5.65
TYSG-10J. $7.65 1 31-3/4". $7.65
TYSG-12J. $9.90 1 40-1/8". $9.90

TIP TOP:
FUJI TFST6-6.0 $9.49 1 $9.49

REEL SEAT:
FUJI DNPSM-18 ($5.19) W/KDPS-18. $10.24 1 $10.24
REEL SEAT ARBORS:
N/U.
WINDING CHK/HOSEL:
MudHole. GH980-TR $2.25 1 $2.25
BUTT CAP:
MudHole. GH50-BC $2.95 1 $2.95
HOOK KEEPER:
N/U.
GRIPS:
BUTT: MHTHT-980-12. $11.95 1 $11.95
INTERMEDIATE: N/U.
FORE: N/U.
SPACERS: N/U.
THREADS: Cost: Guide Totals: $57.44
UNDER WRAPS: Components: $147.09
GUIDE WRAPS: Gudebrod 002 White sz A. $5.00 Supplies: $40.00
TRIM BANDS: GB 720 Med Gray sz D W/CP. $5.00 Labor: $75.00
DEC WRAPS: Dragon Weave. $20.00 Sub Total: $262.09
MISCELLANEOUS SUPPLIES: Shop Standard. $10.00 6.75% NC Sales Tax: $17.69
DECALS: F.E.T. $10.00
Dragon Weave Colors: Wrapping Thread sz E Black, Trimar Green/Gold 5896G sz C, Dark TOTAL: $289.78
Green 5896 sz D,Spring Green 105 sz D, Medium Green 6779 sz D.
Broke 1st time out on 10lb Dolphin (boat slap). REPAIRED.

It looks a bit different in Excel.

Tight Wraps & Tighter Lines.

Bob,

New Bern, NC.

Posted by: Donald La Mar (---.kya.res.rr.com)
Date: February 14, 2016 10:45AM

Roger

What a great point!

While I primarily build fly rods, and do not build rods for sale (and thus can take a moderate "what you see is what you got" attitude), my experience has been that the #1 issue driving a rod recipient's happiness is the grip, with balance a close 2nd.

I sometimes have the luxury of having rod recipients available to try a variety of grip configurations and sizes. And frequently as not I am surprised (as are the recipients) with the preferred grip.

Several years ago I spoke with a builder, whose name escapes me at the moment, and who had developed an extensive questionnaire for his clients. The questionnaire included amongst other things questions regarding arm length, right or left handed, hand size, preferred grip, etc., etc. His thinking was that building a custom rod is similar to making a tailored suit, and a tailor would be lost without measurements for waist, chest, inseam, etc.

It would be great to be able to fish with clients / rod recipients to observe grips, casting techniques, etc. Maybe we ought to request videos of clients fishing before starting a build!

Posted by: gary Marquardt (141.211.151.---)
Date: February 14, 2016 11:35AM

got to agree with the "grip is the biggest concern" statements. I just replaced two grips on rods for a guy. he bought a pair of factory rids with split grips. after 1 season he said he wanted them changed as they were causing hand cramps for him. easy fix and he is happy.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster