I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Stripper guide size/spacing
Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: February 13, 2016 04:54PM

So I got a guide guide (no pun intended), to help with learning about conventional spacing. Previously have only built and mostly only fished spinning rods. I get the idea of static loading and spiral wraps, but the guidance I received from the publication states that you probably already have an idea about where to put the stripper. Unfortunately, for me this is not true. I am looking for a suggestion on where to locate the stripper guide and what size guide to use. From there I can use static loading to get the rest of the guides in place.

Rod is a 7' 9" RainShadow RCLB79ML.
Guides will be Forecast boat guides STLG, with a size 10 running train and a size 10 bumper. Planning for a size 12 second guide and my guess is either a 16 or 20 stripper (depending on your recommendations). I will be using the simple spiral method.
Reel will be a Penn Senator Special 3/0 with 30 lb mono.

Thanks for the help!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Stripper guide size/spacing
Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 13, 2016 10:26PM

Check out the Library Page Upper Right
Several articles of spinning rod guide placement and sizing

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 14, 2016 08:07AM

The but guide needs to be close enough to the reel to prevent the line getting down onto the foregrip when heavily flexed, but not so close that casting is impeded or that the line has to make a sharp turn into the butt guide as it exits the reel. A larger guide can generally be placed closer than a smaller guide. General distance to start would be anywhere from about 17 to 24 inches. You should probably err towards a the higher end considering the size of your reel. A size 16 will likely be fine.

Do not use that #12 in your guide set up. Make all the guides on the bottom the same size.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.mycingular.net)
Date: February 14, 2016 10:22AM

Thanks for the info! That should be enough to go on.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 14, 2016 01:24PM

I used a 11 1/2 inch total length rear grip, with that length grip, the first guide was 53 inches from the tip. Used Alps XBXNLG guides. 20-12-8 to the tip. Simple spiral, off the top of my head, 20 then all 8s is what I would try.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/14/2016 01:31PM by Spencer Phipps.

Posted by: Randy Weakley (---.nmci.usmc.mil)
Date: February 14, 2016 10:35PM

Spencer Phipps Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I used a 11 1/2 inch total length rear grip, with
> that length grip, the first guide was 53 inches
> from the tip. Used Alps XBXNLG guides. 20-12-8 to
> the tip. Simple spiral, off the top of my head, 20
> then all 8s is what I would try.

I decided on 10s a while back based on suggestions about passing knots. I may eventually switch to a braid setup, and want to be able to pass the line connection easily.
I assume you are talking about the same blank? I have a 10 inch grip in my shopping cart and a two inch gimbal with a cover. So should be roughly the same.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster