I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Best transition on spiral wrap rod?
Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.nianet.org)
Date: February 12, 2016 09:16AM

I'm building a 500 gram jigging rod and want to do it spiral. This will be my first spiral wrapped rod and I have a question about the transition. I've read several articles and comments about transitions and still don't know what style will be best. The rod will be used for deep dropping in the Norfolk Canyon and jigging tuna. It is a Bushido blank (BVJ58500) and the reel I plan on using is a Talica12ii. I'm using titanium guides from American tackle - NIRLVL series.

My question - should I lay out the guides in a 0-90-180 transition or use a 0-60-120-180 transition?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2016 09:18AM by Capt. Craig Freeman.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Best transition on spiral wrap rod?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 12, 2016 09:24AM

You could use the no-transition set up of the simple spiral where you just let the line go directly to the bottom as it wants to do. Then go back and install a guide or whatever you choose, to keep the line from rubbing the blank between the 0 and first 180 guide. No load on the 90 degree guide or pad - that's just there to keep the line off the blank.

If you use a a true 90 degree transition guide type system, you'll have to make sure that guide can withstand the side forces involved in your type of fishing. Using the 60-80 type systems tends to spread out the load a bit more. But I think you need to tape up a few systems and load the rod up and see how things tend to "move." From there you can determine which system is going to work best for you.

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 12, 2016 12:01PM

100% agree with tom. Try different methods and see what works for you. Keep in mind the species you are targeting and the load the guides must carry. You chose a great blank for that application. Good luck. MH

Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 12, 2016 12:34PM

Capt. Craig, check your email. I sent you some info. MH

Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: February 12, 2016 12:37PM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 05:00PM by John E Powell.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 12, 2016 12:50PM

John

You on your post you say it is Easier To Pull Line with you thumb ???
I always thought the other way around ??

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.nrflva.fios.verizon.net)
Date: February 12, 2016 01:34PM

Thanks for the responses! Lot of good stuff there. Reel is non-level wind and wrap will be to the left. I will load the rod and place the guides as needed. And yes it's easier to pull line with your thumb than it is push line with your thumb! LOL.

Date: February 12, 2016 01:53PM

I think it is easier to push I would not want my thumb around the line and a heavy fish takes a good run

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 12, 2016 01:58PM

Craig,
I personally prefer the use of the 60,120,180 transition.

I have also found that in all of the spiral wrapped rods that I have built, have also had the stripper guide set at 5-10 degrees in the direction of the spiral. I have found that by doing this, the line ends up tracking on the reel better.

When I set up for a spiral wrap I basically tape on one running guide about 1/2 way up the blank or so, along with a tip installed.

Then, I just run the line through the one running guide and the tip.

Then, as Tom suggested - arrange the guides from the reel to the first runner to achieve the best set and spacing of the transition guides.
Remember, the the guide that handles the line where the lineis really close to the blank, really needs to have almost 0 height above the guide. About the only thing that this guide is doing, is to keep the line from touching and rubbing on the blank.
But for minimum - effect on the quality of the line use - is to use a guide and size to let the line be just barely pushed off of the blank.

Be safe

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/12/2016 02:41PM by roger wilson.

Date: February 12, 2016 02:18PM

After you static test and have the guides where you want them Pull out a good deal of line Tie it to something heavy and retrieve the line This way you can see where the line is going and adjust the guides

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Adam Lathrop (---.hsd1.tx.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2016 06:56PM

This is a great topic and much appreciated from the newer builders. One thing i've been struggling with is the angle on which the stripper guide goes. I've seen some spiral wrapped rods where the stripper is either dead center on 0 or offset by 20-45 degrees. In my static load testing I've always felt the stripper guide needs to be at more of a 60-90 degree angle. It just seems like the line naturally wants it there otherwise it seems there is a good bit of side loading.

For reference my typical spiral setup is on a batson sp843, sometimes chopped to 6'-6". The guide spacing I've been given by Batson puts the stripper about 16-18" away from the front of the reel seat on average(think 45" or so from tip top). I always adjust the reel so that the line is as far opposite as the guide on the spool to make sure i'm not hitting the blank.

Am I out of line or messing something up? Just verification really. Is there an angle one should keep on the stripper guide?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 13, 2016 08:09PM

I think that Mr. Kirkman's answer is a good one.

Tape on the butt guide, and then tape on your running guide. Thread the line through the butt guide and through the runners and the tip. Then, mark the point where the line rubs on the side of the blank. Then, simply put a short guide at that point to just keep the line off of the blank and you will have very little side force on the blank.

However, I generally build the spiral wraps with a 3 guide transition as opposed to a single guide. I just like the line flow better using the 3 guide transition, as compared to the single guide transition.

Be safe

Date: February 13, 2016 10:35PM

What i do is
Find a good spacing chart like maybe St Croix
Put the guides on as a spinning rod At the 180 Or bottom Glue the tip on ( make sure you have the size you want )
Turn the first three guides up Run line from the spool too weight Put pressure on the rod ( static test )
Adjust the guides so the line sits on the bottom of each of the first two or three guides
If the line hits the blank add a bumper

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster