I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

optical chevron how many axis's should I use? for a 11mm dia blank
Posted by: Jay Dubay (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: February 10, 2016 06:58PM

Good evening gentlemen! I would like to do a wrap with an optical chevron or box wrap, The area being wrapped measures out at {11mm dia}, {34.2mm circumference} How many axis's would be recommended 8, 6, or 4, For smaller dia blanks?. I'm a little afraid that 8 may look to busy or too compressed? Your thoughts would be appreciated!! Thanks for your time. Tight Lines Jaa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2016 12:18AM by Jay Dubay.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: optical chevron how many axis's should I use? for a 11mm dia blank
Posted by: John E Powell (---.dynamic.wnyric.org)
Date: February 11, 2016 07:44AM

Comments deleted

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 09/20/2016 05:00PM by John E Powell.

Date: February 11, 2016 06:22PM

Thanks John, Most of these optical chevron box wraps seem to be wrapped on large dia saltwater rods, In my google search I have yet to seen any wrapped on lighter smaller dia freshwater blanks. The rods I build are for family members - close friends, And I built them lightweight for performance without a lot embellishments. I have a young fellow down the street from me { He's my little helper around here when I need an extra hand} ask if I would built a rod for him, And he brought me a picture of this wrap and ask if I could do something like this,[www.stripersonline.com] It's a simple wrap I just have not seen one done on a smaller blank, I have some time on my hands right now so I'll play around a bit. Thanks for your input !! Jaa

Posted by: John Shear (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: February 11, 2016 11:21PM

Jay, I uploaded photos of my second build which is a 6 axis 3D chevron on a St Croix 60MLF.
[www.rodbuilding.org]

My first experiment on a scrap blank was a 4 axis and the 3D effect just wasn't there. Then I did a 6 axis which looks much better but still not as cool as an 8 axis would have looked. But 8 axis would be too much on this ML blank.
I painted the blank white and did a white (regular nylon) underwrap with color preserver so that makes a slightly larger diameter surface to wrap the chevron on. I could have used white NCP and not painted the blank, but I personally don't like the bland NCP look. I did use white NCP for thin trim on the guide wraps (so they look bright white), but those are only 3 threads wide so the difference between regular and NCP thread isn't noticeable to the average guy.

My third build was a 66MF with the same 6 axis wrap. The bands are wide enough I could have done an 8 axis wrap and would have shown the 3D effect better. I don't have pictures yet but I can do that. As I was wrapping these, I was making notes about what band widths I thought looked good and that would give me a guideline for choosing how many axis' to use. I'll have to look through my notes and find that.
Ultimately, what band width and spacing you like is a personal preference so what I like might not be what you like. I encourage you to just wrap some samples so you can see first hand what look you like.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Posted by: Chris Richer (131.137.243.---)
Date: February 12, 2016 11:06AM

This one is most likely six axis, wrapped on a .475 in blank

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Chris Richer
Iroquois ON

Date: February 12, 2016 05:28PM

Thanks John! You nailed it, Nice job also with the green bay theme it looks Great!. 6 axis it will be, He liked it alot, So do I. It looks like the bands are a little wider on the photo Chris linked, Thanks Chris, So I will play with that a bit. Over all I believe 6 axis is the ticket for these smaller freshwater blanks. I would like to Thank the two of you for responding it was a Great help. Tight Lines Jaa

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 12, 2016 06:23PM

Also like said Add some maybe D thread to the area to thicken it up so it is a little easier to wrap

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster