I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Blank for larger crankbait/swimbaits?
Posted by: Adam Lathrop (141.197.12.---)
Date: February 10, 2016 07:56AM

I've got a customer who requested a 7'0" MH to work some larger swimbaits with. When I say larger I mean LARGER 4-6"!! He showed me a couple pictures of them and they are roughly the size of the palm of your hand. Slightly over the top if you ask me but who am I to judge baits. He stated he currently used an uglystick g2x 7'0" MH that worked the baits fine but wanted a upgrade and a matching rod to the jigging rod I recently built him .

Obviously I'm concerned about the weight of the lure in relationship to the blank as it swims through the water.

I was thinking of either going with the
Batson MB843 or MB844
Batson CB70MH or CB70H

I'm also concerned that building on such heavy powered blanks will limit his fishability with lighter crankbaits and the like.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Blank for larger crankbait/swimbaits?
Posted by: Wyatt Rutherford (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: February 10, 2016 08:19AM

Take a look at Rainshadow's RX7 Swim Bait blanks, although they are 7' 10" they're designed for those extremely heavy swim baits.[www.getbitoutdoors.com]

Posted by: Capt. Craig Freeman (---.nianet.org)
Date: February 10, 2016 08:34AM

The Bushido SWB710/12-25 is a great swim bait rod.

Date: February 10, 2016 09:02AM

Thanks guys. the swim bait blanks pretty much limit the rods use to swim baits though correct. I mean I know you could use them for other lures but how much does it limit the fishability? I've never fished with a 7'-10" swimbait rod

Posted by: Jason Reddick (---.uncg.edu)
Date: February 10, 2016 09:26AM

In researching normal crankbait blanks for myself I noticed that MHX has a line of extra heavy power blanks designed for the "XD" crankbaits. I assume that goes with the Strike King naming system for some of their crankbaits. I think those blanks would go with the 6XD and above, what you describe sounds like the huge 10XD. They are just big deep divers. I would also assume such a rod would see specialized use and he would have lower power ones for the more typical sized crankbaits.

Posted by: Lou Auret (204.16.161.---)
Date: February 10, 2016 09:47AM

Look into a Seeker S glass or the Rick Forhan versions of it.
If it has treble hooks it is the blank i prefer and it works for bass to GT's/redfish etc.
I make them mainly as spinning setups but they works as well as a casting blank, spiral or regular wrapped.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.38.---)
Date: February 10, 2016 09:53AM

If the blank will keep the treble hook in the bass' face where it belongs, what difference does it make what lure the treble hook is attached to? Seems to me to hook to blank relationship is the key.

Posted by: Wyatt Rutherford (---.biz.bhn.net)
Date: February 10, 2016 10:15AM

I'd say it depends on the size of the swim baits that will be thrown, some people are throwing 10+ oz swim baits so that's going to limit you to a pretty heavy rod. You can use a swim bait blank for other actions, it's just might be too stiff or overkill.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 10, 2016 10:19AM

All rods need a certain weight to load and cast well If you can measure the weight of the bait you will have a good idea of the lure weight of the blank you need

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: February 10, 2016 02:35PM

Adam, after you decide on a blank please post what guide train you intend to use. I'm about to build much the same rod and am undecided on the guides. Thanks, Lynn

Date: February 10, 2016 04:17PM

I'm utilizing the amtak hzhf single foot guides in size 6 for the runners and double foot 7 and 8 for the stripper and transition.

Date: February 10, 2016 06:37PM

Thank you Adam, I'm doing much the same thing. Can't stand the thought of double foots to the tip for runners. Lynn

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 11, 2016 08:46AM

I've built on the Batson CB66MH blank, and in my estimation it doesn't have the power to fish that large of a bait. I throw some hard bodied swimbaits, Mostly the Jackall Mikey, and Giron which weigh 3/4 and 1 1/8 oz. and IMO those baits are too big. It handles baits in the 3/8 - 5/8 oz range quite nicely though.

Personally, I'd be looking for a blank with a moderate fast action and a lure weight rating of at least 2 oz. on the high side. My next build is going to see double duty with its secondary use as a swimbait rod. I'll be using a blank with a moderate fast action that's rated for 3/8 - 2 oz baits.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (172.56.39.---)
Date: February 11, 2016 12:39PM

In the shorter length your looking for, maybe one of the shorter, lighter powered musky blanks, or an inshore salt blank would be an option.

Date: February 11, 2016 01:41PM

Adam, one of the Batson guys uses a Rainshadow SW967f for swimbaits and flippin. this a 2pc. blank rated for 3/4 to 4oz., .635 butt/7 tip. This is what I'm going to use. The SW967 is one piece and rated the same with a .680 butt/7.5 tip. The 1pc. weighs more. These blanks are 8ft., But they might cut it for you, keeping the warranty intact. Not sure about that though. For me if it's 7-10 it might as well be 8ft., but mine's 2pc. Happy hunting, Lynn

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2016 02:10PM by Lynn Behler.

Date: February 11, 2016 02:28PM

Well guys I searched around at the local FTU and found one of their house brand mag bass blanks that felt like a freakin brick in 7'.

Give me your honest opinion on how you think it would hold up. to the occasional big ole swimbait and other heavier cranks.

IM8-MB844
7'-0"
IM8 Graphite
line - 12-20
lure 1/4-1oz

Heavy-fast

Of a secondary concern.
What size guides would you guys use? 8,7,6 with 6 tip was my go to thought.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 02/11/2016 02:41PM by Adam Lathrop.

Date: February 11, 2016 04:10PM

Sorry Adam, I got stuck on the mention of 7ft. 10in. in your 2nd post. I'm not suggesting you cut a foot off an 8 ft. blank. That said, rated for 1oz sounds a little light to me. Lynn

Posted by: David Baylor (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: February 12, 2016 07:34AM

Adam, I personally wouldn't use a higher powered fast action blank for hard bodied swimbaits, or really, for any bait that uses treble hooks. The only exception would be a soft plastic, line through body swimbait. In my earlier post I mentioned the baits I use, and that I believed that my highest powered crankbait rods didn't really have the power to fish them well. As a result, I was throwing them on a heavy power fast action rod that I use mostly for fishing bigger spinnerbaits, or hollow bodied swimbaits up 6".

My landing percentage when using hard bodied swimbaits on that rod is pretty dismal. I'd estimate it at about 50%. The real gut buster of that landing percentage is the fish that hit the larger profiled swimbaits are most always good fish. One thing is for certain.

The type of blank you recently mentioned is not going to be a good blank for fishing smaller crankbaits. It just has too much power, and that power is going to cost you fish because of the smaller hooks that smaller crankbaits use.

Moderate to moderate fast action blanks are the preferred blanks for keeping fish hooked on hard body treble hook lures, buttoned up.

Date: February 12, 2016 08:26AM

Thanks guys,
I was able to source out an MHX SWB956 swimbait blank that I'm going to put him in. It well within the budget and I think it'll work out well for him

Specs
7'-11"
12-25 line
1-4 oz lure
mod-fast
heavy power
I'm going to have to increase the guide size as the american tackle holographic tiptop only goes down to size 8 with a 7 tip.
8 runners with 10 and 12 transition and stripper

Date: February 12, 2016 02:17PM

ANYONE? gUIDE SIZE AND NUMBER OF GUIDE RECOMMENDATIONS?

Pages: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster