I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Not particularly fond of re-builds..
Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2016 01:12AM

Especially when it's an older trolling rod coated from tip to butt in sun-baked epoxy finish by the previous builder.

An entire weekend of tedious work removing guides, scraping off epoxy, and I only managed to complete a tiny portion near the butt:

Looks like the work's cut out for me on this one.

chad

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Not particularly fond of re-builds..
Posted by: Capt. Michael Harmon (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 10, 2016 07:23AM

Why not start with a new blank. Sounds like it would be much easier for you and less expensive for him.

Posted by: doug raff (---.lightspeed.tukrga.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 10, 2016 11:44AM

I've only done this once but it worked well and seems easier than scraping hard epoxy off by hand ...

After the guides and reel seat and handle are removed put the blank in a small diameter PVC tube plugged or capped at the bottom. Then add MEK to cover the blank and let it cook just enough to loosen the finish without damaging the blank. Wipe, scrape or sand the epoxy off. I needed to coat the entire blank with a coat of very thin gloss finish when done. The rebuilt rod held up well in tournament bass fishing.

Posted by: Lynn Behler (---.102.204.190.res-cmts.t132.ptd.net)
Date: February 10, 2016 02:45PM

Chad, Citri-strip works well for softening old finish without harming the blank. Not sure if you're trying to save the paint though. It'll probably need new paint anyway if it's to be white again. Lynn

Posted by: Chad Barlongo (---.hawaii.res.rr.com)
Date: February 10, 2016 07:41PM

Hello,

Thanks for info/suggestions on stripping the excess epoxy.

Michael-
A new blank would definitely be easier, but he was adamant about wanting to rebuild this rod for sentimental reasons (it was one of his first). Understandably no one else would touch it, so I took on the project knowing beforehand knowing it would be difficult, but do-able given time and patience.

Doug-
Thanks for sharing, I've never tried using solvents to remove old epoxy. Sounds similar to a paint removal process, given one has the equipment and takes the necessary precautions (MSDS).

Lynn-
Thanks I might give that a try, anything to speed up the process (within reason). Yes, the plan is to paint the blank white again so the original paint will have to be sanded down.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 10, 2016 08:31PM

I take a knife and use it as a scraper Don't cut like you are shaping wood 90 Degrees Straight up and scrap it off Looks like an old glass rod
Get as much off as you can then sand it wet with say 400 Lots of water To see what your doing wipe it off with a paper towel
Should take you an hour or two to strip

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 10, 2016 08:34PM

Well if you are planning to repaint the rod then go ahead and strip it down. Use a blade held perpendicular to the blank, scrape don't shave. if done properly and carefully the old paint will come off in curly-Qs without harming the graphite (or fiberglass fibers). This takes time but is much faster than what you doing now. After scraping wet sand with 1000 and 2000 grit wet/dry paper to smooth out everything. This will not hurt the blank's fibers, just don't over do it. Wipe down with denatured alcohol, let dry then paint. Use a good quality spray paint, it gives a better finish than a brush. After the paint dries I like to clear coat with perma gloss using a saturated foam brush. The perma gloss is very hard and scratch resistant and will never yellow like epoxy. Make sure to test the paint/perma gloss compatibility on a scrap piece of blank. Hope this helps and good luck!
Norm

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 10, 2016 08:45PM

If you was it after sanding
Dry it then go over with a scoff pad Gray And then dry it off with a DRY paper-towel so you don't get Fish-eyes

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster