I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Color Preserver
Posted by: Kerry Burgess (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 09, 2016 09:30AM

After I apply my flexcoat color preserver it doesn't dry clear. There is always a milky appearance (it is very noticeable on a darker thread and looks terrible on black). What am I doing wrong? I have two bottles - one recently purchase and an older bottle. They both do the same.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Color Preserver
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 09, 2016 10:08AM

You may be applying too much, or your CP may be a bit too thick.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2016 10:41AM

Out of curiosity, why do you apply color preserver to your wraps?

Different folks have different reasons and I was wondering what your reason was to apply color preserver.

Be safe

Posted by: Jay Burns (74.123.144.---)
Date: February 09, 2016 10:47AM

Went to a NOCP thread and have had great results and eliminated the need for CP altogether.. I also didn't like using CP on guides

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.direcway.com)
Date: February 09, 2016 11:14AM

The only reason to apply CP is to prevent the color of the thread from becoming dark. If you like the color of the thread you use for your wraps, the only way to retain those colors is to apply CP, The CP is not used to prevent damage to the thread wraps. The finish is applied to protect the wraps. If you like he dark color when CP is not used, then there is no reason to apply CP.

Since I made my first rod in 1959, I have applied CP on all of my rods except one. I built one rod with NCP thread for a rod building class and hated the appearance. The final color of the rod you built will depend what you like your rod to look like when it is finished.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Kerry Burgess (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: February 09, 2016 12:56PM

I used a plain sky blue thread (it was a bright sky blue) to weave a name on a rod. The wrap was black. The NCP blue's didn't suit me. Did a test on the blue thread to see if it would become transparent or not and it did. So the reason I used a CP is I wanted to see the name in color I wove it in.

Thanks Tom for you input.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 09, 2016 01:07PM

Kerry,
Perfect reason.

I generally like to make the thread invisible or to have the main thread wraps blend into the color of the blank. So, I seldom use either NCP thread or color preserver. If a client wants a particular look that I can only get by using NCP or color preserver, I will use it.

Take care

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 09, 2016 03:13PM

Thin out the flexcoat CP it is too thick right out of the bottle
Try adding a little Distilled Water Experiment on scrap Maybe 10 percent Put on 2 - 3 wet coats while turning

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Rich Gorden (---.gnv.bellsouth.net)
Date: February 09, 2016 04:05PM

I used to have lots of CP problems too. I now do what Bill suggests. I thin the CP 50/50 with water, but I apply 5-6 coats. This also completely saturates the thread. When it looks glossy, the epoxy covers evenly with no fisheyes. I spend a lot of time on my decorative wraps, I don't mind taking extra time with CP to ensure the colors stay true.

Posted by: Jay Burns (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: February 09, 2016 10:32PM

Guess it's personal preference but I have liked my results with the Fuji NCP, colors have seemed to stay the same for the most part. But have used mainly dark colors.

Date: February 10, 2016 01:24AM

jay
Try on a piece of scrap NCP thread no cp and regular nylon with cp coat with epoxy
You may change your mind The regular has a nicer look to it IMHO

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.255.---)
Date: February 10, 2016 09:46AM

I use Flex Coat CP exclusively (two coats always, not one, not three) and have no problems with anything. Did you stir it? Was it damaged by freezing, possibly in shipment?

Posted by: John Shear (198.135.124.---)
Date: February 10, 2016 03:20PM

Flex Coat CP is a little thicker than I prefer, and usually had to wipe off excess after letting it soak in a minute. For sealing threads I switched to Chromaseal which is thinner and I find that to be more user friendly for me. I always let CP dry overnight before applying epoxy.
However, Chromaseal doesn't have the same adhesive properties as FlexCoat. Chromaseal runs off decals so I still use FlexCoat over decals and for gluing down feathers.

John Shear
Chippewa Falls, WI

Date: February 10, 2016 08:11PM

A little water and it can be thinner

Bill - willierods.com

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster