I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

I think I screwed up...
Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: February 07, 2016 11:01PM

I built a trolling rod for my nephew and used an Aftco HD Wind ON roller for the stripper guide. I put the rollers up the rod....now I am seeing images which tell me that I installed it backwards. The rod has been finished for a few weeks and I am starting on another to match.I don,'t want to build 2 wrong.
It has an under wrap of size A metallic and a single overwrap of D nylon NCP....
I am pretty sure I want to fix it....how bad is it going to be? Any tips on removing the finish cleanly? Do I have a hope of a good result? Can I keep the under wrap or do I rewrap that as well?
Thanks
Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: I think I screwed up...
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 08, 2016 08:12AM

It's not hard to do, although when you flip the guide around it may not sit on the underwrap in the same place. Of course you can shift it one way or the other a bit. A quarter inch of difference isn't likely to hurt anything.

There are instructions for removing guides in the FAQs page here on this site, and a video on the RodMaker Magazine Youtube channel.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2016 09:05AM

[www.meltontackle.com]

Just to be clear. Normally, the guides are mounted on t he rod in such a way that as the line runs from the reel, the first thing that the line hits are the rollers on the roller guides.

I take it that in your case, the line hits the line braces first?

But, since the line is built, and as long as the line flows nicely up the rod and out the tip, why don't you just fish with it the way that it is? Is there any reason that the line will not roll correctly if you are fighting a big fish on a bent rod?

If not, I would be tempted to leave the guides alone.

-------------------------------------
But, if you want to flip the guides around, just get a good sharp razor blade and make a clean cut through the D sized overwrap, keeping the blade just on the foot of the guide. The metal guide foot will keep you from cutting into the underwrap or into the blank. Then, just peel off the thread, put the guide back on and rewrap. Since you are going to use the same size thread and keep the guide in the same location, you don't have to remove all of the epoxy. You should be able to put your guide wraps back where they were before and then just do a single overcoat of epoxy and you will likely be just fine.

Take care

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: February 08, 2016 10:07AM

Thanks Tom and Roger. I am OK with getting it off ....I guess I am just worried about how it will look when I am done putting it back on.

The epoxy runs over the butt wrap...then over a decal and then up and over the stripper guide. I am worried about mating up the new epoxy with the old.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: February 08, 2016 10:21AM

Please watch the Youtube video. You can scribe a razor line where you want and usually get a clean line at that point.

Posted by: Joe Willsen (---.isp.broadviewnet.net)
Date: February 08, 2016 11:22AM

Will do Tom.....thanks.

Posted by: Danny Davis (---.sub-70-192-208.myvzw.com)
Date: February 09, 2016 10:30AM

Also, before you go cutting anything, be sure it is installed backwards. A few years back, someone started this thing where they were putting the stripper on backwards. I've seen it with rollers, turbos, triple foots, ect.

It looks retarded and serves no function other than to make the owner look like a fool.

Just make sure it is backwards before you go cutting.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster