I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fly rod for u/l spinning build help
Posted by: kurt liebrock (---.dhcp.trcy.mi.charter.com)
Date: February 07, 2016 09:14PM

first off hi everyone ,I have read lots but this is my first post.
I use to build rods years ago most on fenwick blanks but that was
30 years ago .
looking to build an u/l from a fly rod.
I would like this build to use 4# mono or braid not sure on that yet.
blanks are 6.6 and 7.6 2wt and 3wt by rainforest or rainshadow.
it will be used for pan fish/ trout for small jigs,spinners,flatfish etc.
I think I will use a 2000 size reel for the bigger spool to help with
casting and have lots of line if a big one try's to run lol.

from what I understand 2wt is good for about 4#line,3wt about 6# so on if that's true?
also if i understand correctly 3wt would cast about 1/4oz lures 2wt ballpark of 3/16 lures ?
thank you for any help kurt

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fly rod for u/l spinning build help
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2016 09:26PM

All your choices will be lighter powered than the average ultralight gear blank by about half, they also, at least for me, lob lures instead of precisely cast them like a gear rod blank.

Posted by: Nicholas Huang (180.255.248.---)
Date: February 08, 2016 07:31AM

Double post opps.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2016 07:36AM by Nicholas Huang.

Posted by: Nicholas Huang (180.255.248.---)
Date: February 08, 2016 07:31AM

I build a fair few of these style rods.

For baston 2wt I have the rx6 in 2 and 4 pc and the rx8. For the rx6 its much softer than the rx8. A 2000 reel.is much too big for the rod. I primarily use 500 reels and the occasional 1000.

I would use the 2wt rx6s with 1lb fire line about 2 lb mono. The rx8 can be overloaded to 2 or 3 lb fireline 3 to 4 lb mono.

The rx6 max casting weight is 7g if lobbed cast. I have 10 of these rods and have broken one overloading. The rx8 can handle up to 10g.

I dont have a 3wt baston. But I have an 8.6 4wt rx8. It works with up to 4lb fire line or 6ish mono. Cast up to 12g but 10g is a safer bet.

The rods are really bendy and I recommend using a few more runner guides than normal.

Also becareful with em. I broke.my rx8 yesterday trying to dead lift a fish outta the water on to the bank. Lucky I have many spares.
The biggest fish I ve caught on the 2wt is about 7 or 8 lbs. Just be careful that you dont high stick.

Good luck.

Date: February 08, 2016 07:59AM

Thanks: thought 2000 might be about right to get a balance with length and
guides,I have smaller ones to try also.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: February 08, 2016 09:09AM

Kurt,
The 500 or 1000 sized reels may be right for the rod, but I use the same rod and I generally always run with a 2000 sized reel. It balances the rod very nicely and I can cast a country mile with the larger spool of the 2000 sized reel compared to the smaller reels.

I use a taller stripper guide and then a couple of smaller guides to get to the runners out to the tip. I agree that with a more flexible rod, it does make sense to have a few more guides if the rod dictates the need for the guides.

Be safe

Date: February 08, 2016 09:11AM

Spencer states half the power of u/l on my choices .

sooo I do not have to use 6.6" or 7.6" rod. but looking for a
good option to cast the little jigs and flatfish.
couple flatfish specs
F4 1 1/2length 0.06weight Size 12 hook
F7 2 1/4length 0.13weight Size 4 hook

just found this blank below !
would this do better than the fly rod blank for casting above items?
and have a little more backbone in the case a bigger brown or
even a steelhead should strike.

MHX S721-2 Spinning Rod Blank
6'0" | 2-6 lb. | 1/32 - 3/16 oz. | Mod-Fast Action | Ultra Light Power
| 2 Piece | 4.0 Tip | 0.299 Butt | Slate Finish
again thank you kurt

Posted by: Michael Danek (50.36.255.---)
Date: February 08, 2016 11:03AM

A much better UL would be the 7 footer you are considering, as opposed to a 6 foot which will not cast as well and will provide less effective hook sets. If you want a faster, more precise action, consider the blank below, RS Revelation:
REVS72UL-SB
UL Trout & Panfish
7'2" 2-6 1/32-3/16 0.393 5 Fast 1.48 UL $47.84 (GetBitOutdoors)

On my 3 wt fly built as a spin I use 10 pound braid with a FC leader. I think 4-6 mono will work fine. I would consider seriously the Fuji KLH guide setup.

Posted by: Randy Kruger (---.cbpu.com)
Date: February 08, 2016 06:18PM

Take a long look at the AMT Bushido SJ72/ 4-8. Great panfish blank. If you are looking to build on a fly rod blank, you should look at a 7'6" or 7'9" 3 or 4 wt. The 2 wt blank will be really soft. To keep the build light, and responsive, look at the AirWaves guides, and add a couple of running guides to your build. Good Luck

Posted by: Michael Shea (---.128.200.180.grapevine.net.au)
Date: February 08, 2016 08:16PM

I would suggest you look at a Batson Forecast RX6 SB-720-4 blank. It packs down extremely small (being 4 pieces) and is 6'6" long and would work quite well for what you want. I have 3 of them all made up as spinning rods paired with either a Shimano Sienna 500 or 1000 sized reel and the combo is great for panfish.

Posted by: Nicholas Huang (---.singnet.com.sg)
Date: February 08, 2016 11:44PM

^^^ to add to what Micheal said above.

I have these Rx6s too. Built as spinning or BFS rods. They are good but compared to the fly rods you are thinking of getting they have trouble casting 1/16s as good as the fly rods.

Compared to the RX6 2wt fly blanks these 4pc RX6 spin blanks are about 3 times as stiff IMHO.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 02/08/2016 11:45PM by Nicholas Huang.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster