I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Popping blank question
Posted by: Joe Coughlin (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: February 07, 2016 03:10PM

I want to build a spinning rod with a real sift tip but with a good backbone that will be used for both live bait rigging walleyes and also lighter drop shots. Would the RX7 ip842 fit the bill for these techniques or would the ip841 or ip843 be better options? I've never had the opportunity to handle any of them.

Thanks,
Joe

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Popping blank question
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: February 07, 2016 03:48PM

Schneider's Rod Shop to the left, Hot Deals section, ISB822.5.

Posted by: Norman Miller (---.lightspeed.jcsnms.sbcglobal.net)
Date: February 07, 2016 05:48PM

Have not tried the RX7 blanks you mention but have used both the MHX P843 and P844. They are both extra fast action and have soft tips with a lot of back bone. I have made up a number of these rods in both spinning and casting configurations and everyone I have made these for love them. I think the P843 (medium power) would be a good fit for what you described. Of course everyone has a different opinion on what a good blank for this would be and they may or may not jibe with yours. The best thing would be to handle different rod blanks personally to see how they feel to you. If you going to the expo you might be able to do this. If not go with a blank manufacturer you know and trust. There are a lot of good blanks out there.
Norm

Posted by: Thomas Kaufmann (---.direcway.com)
Date: February 07, 2016 10:33PM

X2 on Spencers recommendation. Karen at Bingham has some of those in white also that are perfect for what you are looking for.

Posted by: Jared Taylor (---.cityofanderson.com)
Date: February 08, 2016 06:49AM

X3 on Spencer's and Tom's recommendation. The 822.5 rods from Batson Rainshadow are fantastic blanks for that application. If Ron or Karen are out of them, the Revelation REVS610MXF would be my second choice (I believe this was the replacement for the ISB822.5 when they were discontinued)

Posted by: Joe Coughlin (204.155.22.---)
Date: February 08, 2016 04:37PM

I have a 822.5 and it's one of my favorite rods....looking for something a little lighter and not as fast.

Joe

Date: February 08, 2016 05:21PM

Joe, one other you might try is the Liberty Dropshot/ultralight rod in a 7 footer. It's tip is really soft but has a tremendous amount of backbone. Getbit Outdoors has them they're a private label made in the US blank. I've built 4 or 5 of them for customers (going to build one for myself soon). The tip is fast, but not nearly as fast as the 822.5 and is much softer (think light-ultralight tip). It tapers into a solid backbone that has handled 6 plus pound smallmouths with no problem according to one guy I built it for. I should be ordering another very soon (pending deposit money clearing)

Posted by: Joe Coughlin (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: February 08, 2016 08:22PM

Is that the liberty DS700?

Jared Taylor Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Joe, one other you might try is the Liberty
> Dropshot/ultralight rod in a 7 footer. It's tip is
> really soft but has a tremendous amount of
> backbone. Getbit Outdoors has them they're a
> private label made in the US blank. I've built 4
> or 5 of them for customers (going to build one for
> myself soon). The tip is fast, but not nearly as
> fast as the 822.5 and is much softer (think
> light-ultralight tip). It tapers into a solid
> backbone that has handled 6 plus pound smallmouths
> with no problem according to one guy I built it
> for. I should be ordering another very soon
> (pending deposit money clearing)

Date: February 08, 2016 09:08PM

Yes, Joe. That's the one. It's a very tough blank. I like them a lot. Kevin at GetBit showed them to me when they were new. I also like the shorter 5' and 5'6" version for bluegill and crappie.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster